By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2014 NPD Thread!

With these abysmal console numbers, PC is the FUTURE assuming the trend continues..

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
leo-j said:
considering the fact every major ip coming this year is basically a cross gen game.. that look like an HD upscale on the nexgen platforms, why would people buy nexgen consoles?

sure infamous was great, but it wasn't a AAA monster.. sony and mcirosoft need generation defining games.. Gears was that for the 360 as it started.. Resistance was kind of that for the ps3.. both were AAA monsters.. but neither platform has anything AAA that sticks out.. Ryse is the only thing that really pops up.. and maybe BF4 which is also on last gen......

Couldn't agree more. The real problem for these consoles is a lack of high quality AAA titles that people CAN'T already purchase on their current consoles. Games like Assassins Creed Unity, Batman Arkham Knight, and Witcher 3 are going to be the kinds of titles that get people to start transferring over.

yea.. I thought nba 2k14 was another ip that would push people over to the nexgen platforms, since that game is a true nexgen upgrade (on a visuals standpoint), hopefully those late 2014 games along with the order and maybe watch dogs has an actual gap and difference between current gen and last gen.. I really expected watch dogs to be that must have nexgen game last year.. but we'll see

mM
thismeintiel said:
So, PS4 increases the gap in the US by ~85K. What is the gap, now? Gotta be closing in on 500K, now. I'm guessing May will add another ~100K, thanks to Watch Dogs. Even with the price cut, I doubt MS will win June. Probably close the monthly gap, though. September will probably be 100K in the PS4's advantage, again, thanks to Destiny. So, what? We looking at maybe a 800K-1M gap by the end of the year? Wonder when the One is supposed to start closing the overall gap, and win the US, like many have predicted it would.

Honestly unless something major comes from Sony this holiday there is a real chance MS could win the holidays in the US.

They're dropping price, releasing Halo, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza Horizon 2. That's a hell of a line up and so far Sony's this year appears worse. The Order could be amazing and turn out to be the next Uncharted or The Last of Us but that remains to be seen.

MS is in a bad position right now, but I think the holidays will be closer than the race has been in the US. 

all the hardcore fanboys early adopt and looking at the 6 months npd i don't see a problem,

teh casuals and poor will trickle along when they want/can

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

BenVTrigger said:
leo-j said:
considering the fact every major ip coming this year is basically a cross gen game.. that look like an HD upscale on the nexgen platforms, why would people buy nexgen consoles?

sure infamous was great, but it wasn't a AAA monster.. sony and mcirosoft need generation defining games.. Gears was that for the 360 as it started.. Resistance was kind of that for the ps3.. both were AAA monsters.. but neither platform has anything AAA that sticks out.. Ryse is the only thing that really pops up.. and maybe BF4 which is also on last gen......

Couldn't agree more. The real problem for these consoles is a lack of high quality AAA titles that people CAN'T already purchase on their current consoles. Games like Assassins Creed Unity, Batman Arkham Knight, and Witcher 3 are going to be the kinds of titles that get people to start transferring over.

Those you're naming, are huge selling games, plus whatever is announced at E3, games that people want to play....People need to calm down. Summer, like Ben says is going to be average probably, but after that, there is going to be a lot of new gen sellers...So PS4 is goint to be fine, and probably Xbox One too..., so no worries by my part.

Around the Network
Chevinator123 said:
DAMMIT VGC!! I DEFENDED YOUS A FEW WEEKS AGO!! fuk

You'll never make that mistake again. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:
So, PS4 increases the gap in the US by ~85K. What is the gap, now? Gotta be closing in on 500K, now. I'm guessing May will add another ~100K, thanks to Watch Dogs. Even with the price cut, I doubt MS will win June. Probably close the monthly gap, though. September will probably be 100K in the PS4's advantage, again, thanks to Destiny. So, what? We looking at maybe a 800K-1M gap by the end of the year? Wonder when the One is supposed to start closing the overall gap, and win the US, like many have predicted it would.

I think MS' play is going to have to be to start money-hatting some exclusives, but a 1 million gap in the grand scheme of things really is nothing. 

There are other games that might skew more towards MS' audience too, like Madden NFL in August. 

1M is a big gap when the competition continues to outsell you.  Just like the 360 to the PS3.  The gap started out small, but because it continually outsold the PS3 in the US, even when some months it wasn't by much, the gap grew to ~16.5M.

BenVTrigger said:
thismeintiel said:

Honestly unless something major comes from Sony this holiday there is a real chance MS could win the holidays in the US.

They're dropping price, releasing Halo, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza Horizon 2. That's a hell of a line up and so far Sony's this year appears worse. The Order could be amazing and turn out to be the next Uncharted or The Last of Us but that remains to be seen.

MS is in a bad position right now, but I think the holidays will be closer than the race has been in the US. 

You forgot about Driveclub, the other announcement at e3 ( since you count FH2 not announced yet),  Destiny and every multiplatform game helping much more the PS4.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

thismeintiel said:

ms need to be winning june with price cut/new sku and E3 game hype,mario should shift a few too,june npd is going to be fun

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

BenVTrigger said:

Yup I knew this NPD was going to be scary, but as I said earlier May is looking better.

The real problem with these consoles is that they are expensive with VERY little reason to upgrade yet. The vast majority of the big AAA titles are also releasing on last gen consoles that everyone already has and are extremly cheap.

The PS4 / Xbox One need big AAA exclusive titles of high quality and they need them VERY quickly or else this will be far from the last scary NPD

The problem is I think we've been cornered ... The industry's reliance on high budgeted titles has become an issue as more publishers are finding it harder to make a living off funding and developing these expensive games. We need to find a way to reduce AAA title budgets because if that's where the industry is trending towards there will be less and less publishers as the generation moves on and this will largely hurt the foundation for a next generation game industry which wll see an even greater decline as this continues. Sony had the right idea in trying to promote more low budgeted titles for trying to veer the industries reliance on AAA titles. The problem with how Sony is approaching the issue is that these low budgeted titles would have a far bit more potential if they just gave them a little more money to take off and become great system sellers. Sony is essentially hoping they can get a breakout title like minecraft to sell their consoles which are far and few between but this is understandable seeing as how this could work.