By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2014 NPD Thread!

I was really close on PS4, but I underestimated just how much the X1 was over tracked here.

Around the Network

How did you get the ps4 npd numbers?

fatslob-:O said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Well Ben did say that PS4 May is already trending better than April was. So there's that...

However a leading console such as the PS4 shouldn't be struggling to just pass over 200K this early in it's life. 

Yup I knew this NPD was going to be scary, but as I said earlier May is looking better.

The real problem with these consoles is that they are expensive with VERY little reason to upgrade yet. The vast majority of the big AAA titles are also releasing on last gen consoles that everyone already has and are extremly cheap.

The PS4 / Xbox One need big AAA exclusive titles of high quality and they need them VERY quickly or else this will be far from the last scary NPD

considering the fact every major ip coming this year is basically a cross gen game.. that look like an HD upscale on the nexgen platforms, why would people buy nexgen consoles?

sure infamous was great, but it wasn't a AAA monster.. sony and mcirosoft need generation defining games.. Gears was that for the 360 as it started.. Resistance was kind of that for the ps3.. both were AAA monsters.. but neither platform has anything AAA that sticks out.. Ryse is the only thing that really pops up.. and maybe BF4 which is also on last gen......

mM
leo-j said:
considering the fact every major ip coming this year is basically a cross gen game.. that look like an HD upscale on the nexgen platforms, why would people buy nexgen consoles?

sure infamous was great, but it wasn't a AAA monster.. sony and mcirosoft need generation defining games.. Gears was that for the 360 as it started.. Resistance was kind of that for the ps3.. both were AAA monsters.. but neither platform has anything AAA that sticks out.. Ryse is the only thing that really pops up.. and maybe BF4 which is also on last gen......

Couldn't agree more. The real problem for these consoles is a lack of high quality AAA titles that people CAN'T already purchase on their current consoles. Games like Assassins Creed Unity, Batman Arkham Knight, and Witcher 3 are going to be the kinds of titles that get people to start transferring over.

Around the Network

So, PS4 increases the gap in the US by ~85K. What is the gap, now? Gotta be closing in on 500K, now. I'm guessing May will add another ~100K, thanks to Watch Dogs. Even with the price cut, I doubt MS will win June. Probably close the monthly gap, though. September will probably be 100K in the PS4's advantage, again, thanks to Destiny. So, what? We looking at maybe a 800K-1M gap by the end of the year? Wonder when the One is supposed to start closing the overall gap, and win the US, like many have predicted it would.

TheGoldenBoy said:

Well Ben did say that PS4 May is already trending better than April was. So there's that...

However a leading console such as the PS4 shouldn't be struggling to just pass over 200K this early in it's life. 

not bad to be leading in xbox land when they are pulling out all the punches

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

thismeintiel said:
So, PS4 increases the gap in the US by ~85K. What is the gap, now? Gotta be closing in on 500K, now. I'm guessing May will add another ~100K, thanks to Watch Dogs. Even with the price cut, I doubt MS will win June. Probably close the monthly gap, though. September will probably be 100K in the PS4's advantage, again, thanks to Destiny. So, what? We looking at maybe a 800K-1M gap by the end of the year? Wonder when the One is supposed to start closing the overall gap, and win the US, like many have predicted it would.

I think MS' play is going to have to be to start money-hatting some exclusives, but a 1 million gap in the grand scheme of things really is nothing. 

There are other games that might skew more towards MS' audience too, like Madden NFL in August. 

BenVTrigger said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Yup I knew this NPD was going to be scary, but as I said earlier May is looking better.

The real problem with these consoles is that they are expensive with VERY little reason to upgrade yet. The vast majority of the big AAA titles are also releasing on last gen consoles that everyone already has and are extremly cheap.

The PS4 / Xbox One need big AAA exclusive titles of high quality and they need them VERY quickly or else this will be far from the last scary NPD

Only going to continue unfortunately with Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

DAMMIT VGC!! I DEFENDED YOUS A FEW WEEKS AGO!! fuk