By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3 so are less inclined to upgrade - one of Yusuf Mehdi's opinions on sales gap

PR logic is the best logic, keep up the good work Yusuf.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
VanceIX said:
Chris Hu said:

The last time Final Fantasy did amazing in sales was on the PS1 and Dark Souls and Kingdom Hearts really never did amazing in sales when you compare them to sales of games in other genres.

Now you're just spouting nonsense. The FF XIII trilogy sold 8 million on the PS3 alone. Final Fantasy X sold 6.6 million (and that was only of 2004). Final Fantasy XII sold 6 million. Bravely Default sold around 1 million. Dark Souls sold around 3 million. And guess what? At least half, if not more, of those sales were in the west.

JRPGs are not niche. Not even close. 

Sure keep on living in denial.  But the reallity is that they are a niche genre.  If they where not then a majority of people on this site would know who the chararter in my avatar is.  Also 8 million across three titles really isn't much every major FF title on the PS1 sold more then that by itself.

Just because people don't know one character dosen't mean the entire genre is niche. Most people on this site wouldn't recognize a lot of the Battlefield characters, or the Titanfall characters. They would recognize Lightning, or Sora, or Tidus. 

Also, Final Fantasy XIII (just the first game) sold more than Final Fantasy IX and did almost as well as Final Fantasy VIII.

I am not in denial, the JRPG genre is fine.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Muffin31190 said:
Chris Hu said:

The last time Final Fantasy did amazing in sales was on the PS1 and Dark Souls and Kingdom Hearts really never did amazing in sales when you compare them to sales of games in other genres.

lolwut ....

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=final+fantasy

You do realize that the PS2 sold over 60 million units more.  When you factor in that major fact none of the FF titles on the PS2 came even close to being as popular as the three major ones on the PS1 (FF7,8 and 9).

J_Allard said:
VanceIX said:
Microsoft...

Well, if people hate their PS3s so much, why did their campaign for trading in PS3s for credit towards Xbox Ones fail magnificently?

Oh man when did Microsoft announce it was a "magnificent" failure? I missed that press release, do you have a link?

Also, ITT we learn that a majority of VGChartz posters don't understand corporate speak. Which is weird considering many of the ones in this thread lashing out about it are actually huge fans of Playstation products.

Seeing as that Xbox One sales hardly spiked, and the public response to it was scathing, yeah, I'd consider it a "maginificent failure".

It was terrible for the public relations, and it hurt them with the community more than it helped. 

Chris Hu said:
Porcupeth said:
The 360 has been a dry well for ~3 years while the PS3 keeps pumping out plenty of games. That's all i have to say to this "mister".

Sure I guess you never heard of XBLA games.

One funny thing i read in the past few weeks is following

The PS3 pumped out much more exclusives and even one of the best games of all time with The Last of Us while Microsoft didn't do anything for the 360 and just lived of CoD
Answer : Yeah but all those Arcade games dude!

Man Microsoft is so all about the gamers...man that Titanfall systemseller and all that stuff.They are so much better than Sony and stuff!
Answer : Yeah just ignore the 5 Million Indie Games and other things that favor Sony
Counter Answer : Yeah but those don't count!Only Titanfall counts and Halo 5!

Hmm pretty weird huh?

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Muffin31190 said:
Chris Hu said:

lolwut ....

You do realize that the PS2 sold over 60 million units more.  When you factor in that major fact none of the FF titles on the PS2 came even close to being as popular as the three major ones on the PS1 (FF7,8 and 9).

Look, we are talking about software. The simple fact that Final Fantasy XIII sold more units than X or XII with less PS3 consoles in circulation shows that the JRPG market is fine. 

sales2099 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Or maybe people got sick and tired of kinect that they didnt want to?

reason #41665151 to post this pic:

Pssssh: tis all in the past.

2014 has Titanfall and Pjroject Spark leading the charge and PS3 has........reaaaaly niche Japanese titles.

That's one way to spin it I suppose.

Since when did 0.5mil to 1mil become "really niche"?

Chris Hu said:
Muffin31190 said:

lolwut ....

you do realize your the one that said "The last time Final Fantasy did amazing in sales was on the PS1" 
again look at the link and maybe you can see that 8 is the number before 9 :P

Dadrik said:
Chris Hu said:
Porcupeth said:
http://i.imgur.com/zl10SZ0.jpg

XBLA and PSN titles not included on either side... Most of the good XBLA games aren't even exclusive anyway.

Those are retail games I guess you have no clue what XBLA is.

Do you even read ?

I do he showed me a link with pictures of retail games and I was talking about XBLA games.

mtachi said:
Talk about shooting Yusuf in the foot.

LOL