By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS:PSP about to hit 2:1 globally...

My point being it was pathetic for people to act like Homebrew is any justification for a console.

Around the Network
JSF said:
your mother said:
VonShigsy said:
your mother said:
konnichiwa said:
Christopher_G2 said:
JSF said:

Since you're a stats-lover, have you ever wondered how many DS'es the average DS owner owns, what with the model change and the constant color additions (and then there are also the limited editions)? Is number of units sold more important than number of unique DS users? What do you think the average number of PSP's per PSP owner is? And how do you think the number of unique DS owners compares to the number of unique PSP owners?

Well I know the DS sells more games per unit hardware sold than the PSP. That should be the most telling stat at all. The PSP was supposed to be the hardcore gamer's handheld, yet DS owners are buying more games.

True but how many are not downloading weekly a game on their PSP it is incridible my brother have more than 50 illegal games on his PSP.

That is nothing: The sysadmin at the office where I work has a hard drive replete with 900 - count 'em - 900 DS titles that he drags-and-drops to his DS at will!

But you still have to buy the flash cart for the DS. PsP is easier to bootleg games.

I'm not too sure of that.

A guy at the office has had his PSP for ages before he bought a DS, and during all that time he never bothered to figure out how to bootleg his PSP, because he found it a tad hard and inconvenient to follow for the very first time. Yeah, he did finally get around to it though.

He bought his DS with the flash cart included, and it was a matter of literally dragging and dropping files from his PC to his DS.

Ergo, PSP may be "cheaper" to bootleg games as it does not require additional hardware, but the DS is more "user-friendly" to bootleg.

The userfriendliness of bootlegging PSP versus DS is not the most important factor. It is the demographic.
I'd say the PSP has a core group of males between the ages of 16 and 35. I'd also say the typical "hacker" peer-to-peer (no moral dilemma with taking digital content without paying - generation Napster) sort of user is well within this range. DS having a wider sort of demographic, you aren't going to find too many elementary school kids and their soccer moms hacking their DS'es, nor are grandpa and
grandma.

What you describe is probably the US market. I'm sorry, but at least where I live, you are WRONG!

Virtually every single DS sold here already comes with this flash feature. The vendors themselves sell them to you "pre-installed" (that's a bit of a stretch because it doesn't require installation); even the pirated games are offered by the very same people who sell the DSs despite also selling the original games. The pirated games are then copied over to the flash cart by the vendor themselves; the buyer normally just says, "Oh, I want this and that game, and do you by chance have this?" and in a matter of minutes, the DS is replete with pirated games. So in fact, the average buyer, despite being a potential luddite who has never turned on a computer before, doesn't have to do any legwork, because the vendor has done all that for the consumer. 

lol trolls vs troll hunters, I love these threads.

DonWii said:

Not really, though you could assume that is a reason.

BTW, anyone know if and Imported Japanese DS game will work in a NA DS?

You talking to me?

Almost every freakin' firmware update Sony sends out to its PSP's is to try to stop hackers from breaking into the firmware.  They have even switched the circuit board twice.  They employ Microsoft's Halo 2 tactic where a game will not boot unless you've installed the latest firmware, even though that required firmware has nothing to do with running that particular game.  Piracy on the PSP is a big deal...big enough for Sony to keep throwing money away trying to fight it.

Actually the DS easily holds the 30+ audience with adult games like Brain Age. The PSP's audience is High School through College. With some sales dotted here and there in the other demographics. The problem for them is the DS holds the majority of the child demographic, little of the high school, some of the college, and nearly all of the adult. If you limit yourself to 1 small age range of course your sales are going to be bad. Especially if most of your sales are to tech geeks who would rather get free things then pay for games (okay, I'm guilty of it as well). I mean honestly I turn my PSP on maybe once a month, even with all the emulated games. I play my DS more than any other system I have ever owned, without a doubt.

Around the Network

You Nintendo guys are too much. I own a DS and a Wii and every other Nintendo console except the Gamecube (I even bought a VirtuaBoy when it came out...how many of you can claim that?), but you guys are even beyond my imaginings. Why do I say this? Because it's not enough that you guys want the title of "most handhelds sold", you also want "most likely to be hacked handheld". Unbelievable. Just stop. You win. The DS is the most likely to be hacked and yet sells the most games per unit. That doesn't even make any sense, but whatever.  Okay?

Yeah PSP appeals to just teens and college students, DS appeals to all ages, more specifically adults. either way it makes me glad to see piracy is hurting the PSP.

Oh and yes DonWii, import games work. One of my favorite games of all time is an import DS game. Jump! Ultimate Stars is SSBM with anime characters, online multiplayer, an amazing volume of completely different characters (50+), great graphics, amazing strategy elements, and awesome gameplay mechanics. I hardly know any of the anime/manga in the game but it still is unbelievably fun. It's probably around 30 bucks total on eBay these days. You can play it with no knowledge of Japanese whatsoever as gamefaqs has a full guide to the game up.

Edit: for anyone interested in it http://youtube.com/watch?v=tlaJw_TUoTc . It can also be purchased from www.play-asia.com

The DS is in fact a phenomenon....it's unbelievable what it's doing really.  I honestly think it has a chance to break GB sales over the course of its life.

On the other hand, the PSP is no slouch either.  Yes it looks weak compared to the DS.  But it's up there having sold 22m units worldwide beating the original Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast and Saturn.

Yes, the DS is now around 2:1 worldwide versus the PSP, but I reckon the PSP will comfortably reach 30m within the next 12-18 months and still have a good few years after that worth of life.

The PSP is not an ill-fated handheld, it is "fact" the most successful handheld not made by Nintendo; actually it beats it closest rival by more than double...the ill-fated GameGear.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

konnichiwa said:
naznatips said:
eileithyia said:
psp stole marketshare from nintendo. Nintendo used to have like 98% market share. now they lost around 33%. i though psp was not going to sell more than 10m just like other handhelds were trying to compete with nintendo and failed. Didn't think they would have a chance to break 30m.

This is a ridiculous argument, considering the DS is selling better than any system in history.  What profit did they steal?  Can you even call the PSP a competitor?  I mean, it could technically be argued that Nintendo handheld systems were on a decline in sales till the INCLUSION of the PSP.  Now that it's around the DS is on it's way to blowing away the record.  The same could be said the PS3.  If sony hadn't released a $600 game system and released another $300 one instead, wouldn't it be fair to say Wii sales wouldn't be so good?  So in fact, if you want to really break it down, the inclusion of the PSP in the market has given Nintendo's handheld something to compare to and boosted both hardware and software sales to new records for them.

Sigh they steal it....   Nintendo was alone so they had 100% of the market. True right?
Now with PSP, PSP have 30% of the market.

Anyone knows that!

Wii is stealing market share of the consoles:  Wii fanboys =  YEEHAA that is true HAHA.
PSP is stealing market share fo the handhelds:  Wii fanboys = NO WAY THAT IS NOT TRUE.

WTF.... 

-Nintendo did have 100% market share.

-Sony stole a piece of the pie! Fair enough...! But the pie grew... (you know what i'm meaning?!)

PSP is doing fairly good... But DS is shattering every record... Which means Nintendo is breaking it's own records... While there is a first good competitor... Which means... Nintendo might have 70% marketshare or something... But that 70% of the pie is eventually bigger then their 100% of the pie 5 years ago (sabbie?!)... Which means the industry has grown! (Can u guys still follow?!)

-Just to make it all clear:

5 years ago: Nintendo 100% marktshare in handhelds.

75 mil GBA sold.

Now: Nintendo 70% marketshare (and growing):

Sony 30% marketshare:

45 mil DS sold (and growing FAST).

22 mil PSP sold (and growing steadily).

So eventually: DS might be at 120 million or something. And psp at 40 or something. Then Nintendo broke their GBA record... But are at 70%... So they grew... But the market grew too! There was enough room for another system... And that's why they won'y have 100% anymore! But still have more total sold then before! 

Same thing with the Wii... Yes it IS stealing marketshare... But the market is getting bigger... So there's more room for higher numbers for every 3 consoles...

THE NETHERLANDS