By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS:PSP about to hit 2:1 globally...

eileithyia said:
psp stole marketshare from nintendo. Nintendo used to have like 98% market share. now they lost around 33%. i though psp was not going to sell more than 10m just like other handhelds were trying to compete with nintendo and failed. Didn't think they would have a chance to break 30m.

This is a ridiculous argument, considering the DS is selling better than any system in history.  What profit did they steal?  Can you even call the PSP a competitor?  I mean, it could technically be argued that Nintendo handheld systems were on a decline in sales till the INCLUSION of the PSP.  Now that it's around the DS is on it's way to blowing away the record.  The same could be said the PS3.  If sony hadn't released a $600 game system and released another $300 one instead, wouldn't it be fair to say Wii sales wouldn't be so good?  So in fact, if you want to really break it down, the inclusion of the PSP in the market has given Nintendo's handheld something to compare to and boosted both hardware and software sales to new records for them.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
DonWii said:
Well, I still give PSP its props for actually competing with the DS. I dont think it will do as well next time around, however.

I think it will do better next generation, you see Nintendo coming up with something other than another DS variation?

No, but that's why they are Nintendo.  If you could predict what they did they wouldn't be nearly as amazing a company.

Gamegear also stole market shares from Nintendo, look where it is now, lol. And unlike the PSP, you could at least argue the Gamecube was solidly built, as for games... well that's a different issue altogether and the largest reason why the Gamecube failed.

Yeah its certainly hard to say the PSP managed to take anything away from Nintendo when Nintendo DS is clearly outclassing all but one of its former gameboy brethren. PSP seemed to have only pushed Nintendo into making an even more successful handheld.

naznatips said:
eileithyia said:
psp stole marketshare from nintendo. Nintendo used to have like 98% market share. now they lost around 33%. i though psp was not going to sell more than 10m just like other handhelds were trying to compete with nintendo and failed. Didn't think they would have a chance to break 30m.

This is a ridiculous argument, considering the DS is selling better than any system in history.  What profit did they steal?  Can you even call the PSP a competitor?  I mean, it could technically be argued that Nintendo handheld systems were on a decline in sales till the INCLUSION of the PSP.  Now that it's around the DS is on it's way to blowing away the record.  The same could be said the PS3.  If sony hadn't released a $600 game system and released another $300 one instead, wouldn't it be fair to say Wii sales wouldn't be so good?  So in fact, if you want to really break it down, the inclusion of the PSP in the market has given Nintendo's handheld something to compare to and boosted both hardware and software sales to new records for them.

Sigh they steal it....   Nintendo was alone so they had 100% of the market. True right?
Now with PSP, PSP have 30% of the market.

Anyone knows that!

Wii is stealing market share of the consoles:  Wii fanboys =  YEEHAA that is true HAHA.
PSP is stealing market share fo the handhelds:  Wii fanboys = NO WAY THAT IS NOT TRUE.

WTF.... 

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
DonWii said:
Well, I still give PSP its props for actually competing with the DS. I dont think it will do as well next time around, however.

I think it will do better next generation, you see Nintendo coming up with something other than another DS variation?

Well, I would say Nintendo can be full of suprises. All I see Sony doing is ramping up graphics and adding a phone feature. 

Edit: Oh, and charging $300+ for it.

konnichiwa said:
naznatips said:
eileithyia said:

This is a ridiculous argument, considering the DS is selling better than any system in history. What profit did they steal? Can you even call the PSP a competitor? I mean, it could technically be argued that Nintendo handheld systems were on a decline in sales till the INCLUSION of the PSP. Now that it's around the DS is on it's way to blowing away the record. The same could be said the PS3. If sony hadn't released a $600 game system and released another $300 one instead, wouldn't it be fair to say Wii sales wouldn't be so good? So in fact, if you want to really break it down, the inclusion of the PSP in the market has given Nintendo's handheld something to compare to and boosted both hardware and software sales to new records for them.

Sigh they steal it.... Nintendo was alone so they had 100% of the market. True right?
Now with PSP, PSP have 30% of the market.

Anyone knows that!

Wii is stealing market share of the consoles: Wii fanboys = YEEHAA that is true HAHA.
PSP is stealing market share fo the handhelds: Wii fanboys = NO WAY THAT IS NOT TRUE.

WTF....

No, I never denied they stole marketshare, I said it was a dumb argument to make, when they forced Nintendo into making the most profitable console of all time. 

Actually, the PSP may have improved DS sales. I believe the competition that Sony provided made Nintendo that much more focused on growth.

So now instead of having 100% of a small pie, they have 70% of an enormous pie. Thank you Sony!

Nice take on it FishyJoe.

Ds is the most successful handheld ever, its kind of cute to think we have Sony's ill-fated PSP to thank for giving us the push we needed.