By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS:PSP about to hit 2:1 globally...

I agree that the market place for handhelds is bigger now and as I've said before, I reckon gaming will be taking a new turn and people will be wanting to play games on the move moreso than playing at home.

The ideal solution, would be a portable system, that can plug'n'play in the house on a large screen as well.

I see this solution as not being totally unrealistic, although it could be a fair bit away from now, but I reckon it's the most sensible way to go.

With regards to the DS2 or DSAdvance and the PSP2, they could easily take a step towards this.

IMHO, the PSP2 needs to be reasonably priced.  It can't come in at the same pricepoint again.  I reckon it needs to come in under $200 from the word go.  It won't need to be much more powerful (i.e. it doesn't need to be a next gen in your hand), but as long as the chips on board can cope with higher resolutions, then it could be a winner.  Also including onboard GPS as standard would be a nice feature.  The battery would need to be much better....it needs to allow upwards of 8 hours to contend.  It will have to have a UMD drive as well, so that it can be backwards compatible with the original PSP, but the drive needs to be lightening quick, and the UMD need to be able to hold more data than the 1.8Gb currently.  The onboard memory needs to be upped and onboard flash memory should be installed as standard, maybe 4gb or even 8gb as well as a card slot for more.  There needs to be connectivity with an HDTV so that you can play your PSP2 on the big screen at home, although I reckon 720p should be more than adequate, and maybe have the actual screen on the PSP2, 720p compliant as well.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
JSF said:

I don't want to sound sexist, but what I'm about to say is true. Females like the DS more. Males, in
general, love visual stimulation. Females will trade it off for cutesy-wutesy cuddly-wuddly. So females choose DS in much greater numbers. How's that important to pirating? Well, I don't
have the research or numbers, but I'm willing to bet males are more likely to hack around with gadgets than females.

I've always suspected that I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body.

DonWii said:

BTW, anyone know if and Imported Japanese DS game will work in a NA DS?

Yes it should work. DS is region-free. I've been playing USA games in europe from day one. 

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

davygee said:

I agree that the market place for handhelds is bigger now and as I've said before, I reckon gaming will be taking a new turn and people will be wanting to play games on the move moreso than playing at home.

The ideal solution, would be a portable system, that can plug'n'play in the house on a large screen as well.

I see this solution as not being totally unrealistic, although it could be a fair bit away from now, but I reckon it's the most sensible way to go.

With regards to the DS2 or DSAdvance and the PSP2, they could easily take a step towards this.

IMHO, the PSP2 needs to be reasonably priced. It can't come in at the same pricepoint again. I reckon it needs to come in under $200 from the word go. It won't need to be much more powerful (i.e. it doesn't need to be a next gen in your hand), but as long as the chips on board can cope with higher resolutions, then it could be a winner. Also including onboard GPS as standard would be a nice feature. The battery would need to be much better....it needs to allow upwards of 8 hours to contend. It will have to have a UMD drive as well, so that it can be backwards compatible with the original PSP, but the drive needs to be lightening quick, and the UMD need to be able to hold more data than the 1.8Gb currently. The onboard memory needs to be upped and onboard flash memory should be installed as standard, maybe 4gb or even 8gb as well as a card slot for more. There needs to be connectivity with an HDTV so that you can play your PSP2 on the big screen at home, although I reckon 720p should be more than adequate, and maybe have the actual screen on the PSP2, 720p compliant as well.

I don't know, sony always try to go with hi-tech. Downgrading the new system, (if they make one) may get them heat from their fanbase for selling out.The system still sells ok in comparison for the DS. Even if we get a GC advance announcement on E3 i don't know if that would carry Sony to make a new handheld. The problem would be then the price, because i imagine they would make the PS3P in retail cost.  

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

But if Sony hadn't provided the pressure, Nintendo may have kept the GBA going longer. And instead of making the DS, they might have just made a GBA+ or something like the PSP

If they had kept it longer, PS3 sales numbers would look even worse XD

Around the Network
davygee said:

IMHO, the PSP2 needs to be reasonably priced.  It can't come in at the same pricepoint again.  I reckon it needs to come in under $200 from the word go.  It won't need to be much more powerful (i.e. it doesn't need to be a next gen in your hand), but as long as the chips on board can cope with higher resolutions, then it could be a winner.  Also including onboard GPS as standard would be a nice feature.  The battery would need to be much better....it needs to allow upwards of 8 hours to contend.  It will have to have a UMD drive as well, so that it can be backwards compatible with the original PSP, but the drive needs to be lightening quick, and the UMD need to be able to hold more data than the 1.8Gb currently.  The onboard memory needs to be upped and onboard flash memory should be installed as standard, maybe 4gb or even 8gb as well as a card slot for more.  There needs to be connectivity with an HDTV so that you can play your PSP2 on the big screen at home, although I reckon 720p should be more than adequate, and maybe have the actual screen on the PSP2, 720p compliant as well.

And you want it to do your laundry too, right? (joking!)
Thats a nice set of features, I like them but that's exactly what is getting Sony and Microsoft in trouble-- too many features, too much power. Sony and Microsoft love to brag about how powerful their consoles are but they don't like to brag about how expensive they are or how much they lose on selling them.
I have no clue what Sony is going to do next because I think they learned that you can't sell expensive hardware and expect everyone to buy it. But the problem is that Sony only knows how to make expensive hardware. The PS2 was a lot more powerful then the PS1. And the PS3 is a lot more powerful then the PS3. Will the PSP2 be a lot more powerful then the PSP1? If it is, I think it will sell miserably.
I remember how INSANE things were when the PSP was released. People fell for the hype so badly for that. I'm not saying that the PSP is a bad piece of hardware, I'm just saying that people bought the machine because it was 'cool' but really didn't know what they were getting into. Remember when there was the "counter-hype" about people returning their PSPs and getting DS's...
Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what Sony does for the PSP2. If it turns out to have 2 screens and a stylus... I will laugh so hard. The fanboys here will get spanked, thats for sure.

The way I see it, Nintendo has always dominated the hanheld market, so the fact that there is another system in it shows the PSP is fairly good, even if it hasn't taken any profit from Nintendo. Also, when there isn't a monopoly it's always good for the market, for instance a serious competitor probably made Nintendo think seriously about what they were going to do, and may have also made the DS' price lower.
If you don't understand what I mean, think how buggy Windows software has always been, I'm sure if Microsoft had a major competitor (yeah there is Mac OS X and Linux, but Windows is till 90%+ of the market), that Microsoft would have worked hard to give extra reason to buy their software, instead of just because things are compatible with it.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

What is this PSP2 you guys are talking about? My understanding is that the next PSP will just be a redesign of the current PSP, like the DS Lite was a redesign of the DS. The PSP has only been out for two years and a couple of months. Also, the price of the PSP is great now. It's about the same price as the DS Lite with the DS browser cartridge, except better because the DS browser is slow and can't handle flash (wireless web browsing is built into the PSP). And there are a bunch of lower priced Greatest Hits games ($15 and under) out so it's not like you get a deal on the system and then have to overpay for the games.

PSP redisgn?

You mean this:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/155/PSPphone2278_screen.jpg

A patent of Sony Ericsson

What the Dickens is that? Looks interesting, but not very practical. If #23 is the earpiece/speaker, you can't put it flush to your ear. And, if you try, the screen, which will be pressed against your skin, is going to get pretty oily after a while. I don't like it, but good find.