By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo response to Tomodachi gay issue... me happy :)

Boutros said:
Anfebious said:

Not the media exactly but controversy would reach the media eventually and that would be bad for Nintendo. Say a father buys his son this game and finds out that his boy was playing a game where he is married to a male avatar. He could begin a scandal about it and it could reach the media.

As I said they just want to avoid controversy and this their way of avoiding it.

It's not thrown in your face. His son would have to actually want to date another male and then maybe that says something about him that his father should start to deal with.

If you can't deal with life, don't play a life simulator.

Sadly, Nintendo can't know how people will react to the option of same sex marriage in their game. Think of it as a safety measure just in case.

I do not think it's a bad idea at all but I can understand why Nintendo is choosing to go this route. Basil the Woman up there actually has a point. Politics shouldn't be mixed with videogames!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

For all the things I love about Nintendo their intensely conservative aversion to controversy is not one of them. This game should have allowed homosexual relations from the start. Didn't hurt the Sims or Mass Effect. I know tons of kids who've played Sims.

I cannot respect its omission at all. But it's not like I have a right to expect it to be there.

Simple way to solve the thing, if the simualtion is random for who you fall in love with as someone mentioned earlier, is to simply select your character's sexual orientation in the character creation screen.

Anfebious said:
Boutros said:
Anfebious said:

Not the media exactly but controversy would reach the media eventually and that would be bad for Nintendo. Say a father buys his son this game and finds out that his boy was playing a game where he is married to a male avatar. He could begin a scandal about it and it could reach the media.

As I said they just want to avoid controversy and this their way of avoiding it.

It's not thrown in your face. His son would have to actually want to date another male and then maybe that says something about him that his father should start to deal with.

Sadly, Nintendo can't know how people will react to the option of same sex marriage in their game. Think of it as a safety measure just in case.

I do not think it's a bad idea at all but I can understand why Nintendo is choosing to go this route. Basil the Woman up there actually has a point. Politics shouldn't be mixed with videogames!

Maybe tackling marriage isn't all that appropriate for that video game but the exclusion of same-sex relationships is pretty archaic.

BasilZero said:
Samus Aran said:

I heard Japan has rape simulators, but if the West allows games like GTA V it's really hypocritical to be against a rape simulation game. Murder is just as bad if not worse than rape. 

But I never heard of such a game involving little children. And such a thing wouldn't be possible in the West anyway. 

No its not, like you said earlier - there are rules and regulations that prevent certain things to be in video games depending on the region and like I said earlier depending on what the developer adds or feels like adding.

Japan has their own laws and tastes - so does the west. Ever wonder why there arent any children in GTA games when they can easily i.e. Bully. It is because of the developer's choice - what they feel is right or wrong.

Nintendo made their decision - nothing wrong with it. You want a life simulator that lets you do things that arent in this game? There's a load of other simulators such as The Sims.

Those rules and regulations can be and are hypocritical. 

It's their game and they can make it how they want it. Last I remembered, people don't buy games just because "OMG YOU CAN MAKE SAME SEX COUPLES?!! INSTABUY!!"

If you really want a game with same sex marriage, play The Sims.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Anfebious said:
Boutros said:
Anfebious said:

Maybe tackling marriage isn't all that appropriate for that video game but the exclusion of same-sex relationships is pretty archaic.

I won't argue with that. The exclusion of same-sex relationships is kinda archaic and to be honest It should be accepted as something normal up to this point. But changing peoples minds takes a lot of time and there are still people in the world who are stuck in the old ways of thinking. That's why I understand Nintendo's approach.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Can you make a transexual in this game?

Well it's just a game. I don't think the gay thing would matter in Japan, FF7 did it many years ago!!

Yep.

Ka-pi96 said:
BasilZero said:

Also comparing murder/rape to a absence of an option of sexuality really is a bad comparison.....I dont understand why people compare it - completely different level of controversy between the three. (Well Murder + rape go hand in hand).

Yes they are completely different. But you are saying they should be able to do whatever they want in their own games. The best way to show why there should be at least some kind of restriction is to go to the absolute extremes.

The thing is, you'll never to be able to ban. I see some ridiculous comments on what's people are saying is acceptable in Japan. They forget that these are fringe titles that hidden away, much like all of the awful flash/fringe PC titles where a lot of similar things happen.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I don't think there should be any responsibility for a games company to represent everyone in their games. (It's virtually an impossible task when you think about it.

I think really the thing people are upset about is that most if not all games that feature relationships feature heterosexual relationships but not necessarily other types. I'm wondering if the people disappointed by this should be saying to publishers "Hey we'd all be interested in a game that's focused solely on homosexual (or replace with whatever sexuality you'd prefer) relationships since nothing on the market is really catered to us. Here's how much money we'd be willing to spend on it".