By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo response to Tomodachi gay issue... me happy :)

Valdney said:
Nintendo is right. They should never ever put anything gay related in their games. It would damage the brand so bad, it wouldn´t be funny.

For thier own good, I hope they stay that way.

They are not in this business to convince people that it is ok for people of the same sex to get married.

So now it's not only about marriage but about "anything gay related"?

It sure didn't hurt the Sims brand or the Mass Effect brand so whatever you say.

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
Nintendo doesn't want to face controversy. Their image is that of a family friendly brand and including this would cause some serious controversy. It's not like same sex marriage isn't accepted but let's face it, the media would be all over a Nintendo game letting you have same sex marriage and that's what Nintendo is trying to avoid.

Besides, we are talking about a game here. I tihnk there is no need to make such a big deal over something so petty as a game.

You think the media would be against Nintendo for that?

Nintendo has that right. I'm ok with gays as long as I'm not being bothered. But the thought that they are on the forefront demanding anything and everything is what's bothering me. They can't have their way all the time.

Seriously if EA can do it (a.k.a. Worst Company in America) then why can't Nintendo..

I personally don't think they should change the game at this point but I still question why it wasn't made available from the start. It's a life simulator after all and same-sex relationships are very much a part of life.

ICStats said:

Imagine the uproar if a Nintendo game did have gay relationships. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

What's wrong is the perception that games have to be all things to all people.  Games are a form of entertainment, like a book, song or movie.  They are what a creator imagined.  You have the option to read/watch/play what they created, or not.

I agree with this, it sort of falls under the right of free speech. If the creator didnt want to add it, then he shouldnt have to add it. 

Me gusta queso 

psn id: rychussnik

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
sales2099 said:
Question: Is this the stance of the Japanese people/government in general?

Im from Canada, and everything is tolerated and accepted here lol. But I am unsure if other countries are on a similar page.

unfortunately most of the countries outside canada is not as tolerable or acceptable... canadian maple rocks!

Oh the Irony. Guy makes sweeping statement, stereotyping all non Canadian's and every other country in the world, while stating Canadian superiority in something, yet at the same time says how Canada is the most accepting and tolerant of countries. Judging by your grammar though, Canada needs a better schooling system, and maybe some international knowledge education.

Boutros said:
Anfebious said:
Nintendo doesn't want to face controversy. Their image is that of a family friendly brand and including this would cause some serious controversy. It's not like same sex marriage isn't accepted but let's face it, the media would be all over a Nintendo game letting you have same sex marriage and that's what Nintendo is trying to avoid.

Besides, we are talking about a game here. I tihnk there is no need to make such a big deal over something so petty as a game.

You think the media would be against Nintendo for that?

Not the media exactly but controversy would reach the media eventually and that would be bad for Nintendo. Say a father buys his son this game and finds out that his boy was playing a game where he is married to a male avatar. He could begin a scandal about it and it could reach the media.

As I said they just want to avoid controversy and this their way of avoiding it.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

why dont they go to kickstater.com and try to get funding for a gay game. Lets see what the real demand for this is.

Ka-pi96 said:
Anfebious said:

Not the media exactly but controversy would reach the media eventually and that would be bad for Nintendo. Say a father buys his son this game and finds out that his boy was playing a game where he is married to a male avatar. He could begin a scandal about it and it could reach the media.

As I said they just want to avoid controversy and this their way of avoiding it.

Didn't really work though.

This is nothing compared to the problems they would have had if they did include the option in the game.

Just so you know everyone I'm not against the idea but I completely understand where Nintendo is coming from. At the end of the day, as I said, it's just a petty game and we shouldn't be complaining about this when there are more important things to be upset about.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Everyone will have a different opinion. If they don't want to add same sex relationships then okay, if they do then that's fine.