By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo response to Tomodachi gay issue... me happy :)

meanwhile the us version patches the flaw in the japanese version that actually allowed same sex marriages.

At the same time, i find these 'social media campaigns' are usually a smokescreen for ulterior motives, more often than not widespread exposure to a person, persons or company which is more often than not later exploited.

Around the Network
nitekrawler1285 said:
the_dengle said:

That's not Tomodachi Life though.

Miis are created in Mii Maker, not in Tomodachi Life. The Miis that appear in-game are not made in-game. They are generated based on the Miis in your Mii Plaza. So problem not solved, unless players are prompted in Mii Maker (a universal app included in all Wiis, Wii Us, and 3DSs) about the sexual preference of their Mii for use in a single game.

Now, you customize your own Mii's personality in Tomodachi Life, but only the one, I believe. If all other Miis are straight by default, your gay Mii will have a hard time finding a romantic interest.

I still prefer my "Miis are genderless" solution. It would also have the benefit of pre-emptively addressing the complaints of the "TQ" part of the LGBTQ community before they were ever made into an issue.

That solution also takes out all relationship content in the game and makes it less enjoyable for everyone.  

If those Mii's haven't made a selection in Tomodatchi Life Bisexual should be default and it solves the lonely issue too.  

I don't think you are following my suggestion at all. What is the difference between all Miis being bisexual and all Miis being genderless?

nitekrawler1285 said:
ICStats said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
As an Black gay male I hardly ever get that opportunity. Outside of a few EA games and Dragon's Dogma I have never had the opportunity to be represented that way in a game. For me it's a big deal.

Further more I don't see any issues with the sales of the Sims, Mass Effect, and Dragon's Dogma. I also don't recall any uproar over it being included in those games so I find it hard to believe there would be a massive uproar about it for Tomodatchi Life.

Nintendo is a company that tries to appeal to families and kids.  It's a bit naiieve to think the majority of that base would be happy.

Gay people are families and kids too.  We don't get beamed down from some foreign planet.  I'm happy Nintendo seems to get it even if their apoligists don't.   

What Nintendo does is up to them.

Your (offended) answer doesn't really make sense to what I wrote.  Do you think a majority of families and kids (including gay and straight) would be happy?

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

Gay people are families and kids too.  We don't get beamed down from some foreign planet.  I'm happy Nintendo seems to get it even if their apoligists don't.   

Your (offended) answer doesn't really make sense to what I wrote.  Do you think a majority of families and kids (including gay and straight) would be happy?

Only bigots wouldn't be.

the_dengle said:

I don't think you are following my suggestion at all. What is the difference between all Miis being bisexual and all Miis being genderless?

You are right. I wasn't following well.  There isn't really any difference. 

Around the Network
Justagamer said:
In this age of "acceptance" why can't we just accept the fact that it's not a feature of the game? I have no problem with same sex relationships, but I'm also ok with games not touching this subject. It's a kids game, so it doesn't really need to be there. I don't need to explain to my little ones why there are two guys or girls in a relationship in any game. A man and a woman, or a boy and a girl is something that doesn't need to be explained, as their parents are just that: a boy and a girl. Again, I have no issue with homosexuality, but I personally don't see a need for it in this game. It's nintendos game, they can do what they want.

It really takes almost no explaining. A man and a woman being together as parents is something they learned over years of being raised by you. If the same sex relationship should need to be explained to the child, simply "You know the way Mommy and Daddy are together? Those two are together in the same way."

The kid doesn't know all about sex organ functions and making babies and marriage rights. They're not going to ask you about that. I just think your aversion is unfounded and the issue not that complicated.

ICStats said:

Gays are apart of the family audience.  Some kids also are gay too.  Yes they would be happy. In fact I've never heard anyone complain about homosexuality in their game.  Only the lack of it.  

Boutros said:
Valdney said:
Nintendo is right. They should never ever put anything gay related in their games. It would damage the brand so bad, it wouldn´t be funny.

For thier own good, I hope they stay that way.

They are not in this business to convince people that it is ok for people of the same sex to get married.

So now it's not only about marriage but about "anything gay related"?

It sure didn't hurt the Sims brand or the Mass Effect brand so whatever you say.

I'm pretty certain the person you're responding to was being sarcastic...

...I think...

I'm glad Nintendo has released a statement. Specifically, the revised statement. That's the response I would expect.
Issue closed.

curl-6 said:
DolPhanTendo said:

Do have any clue what a right is? A right is being able to walk down the street without getting assualted or beating by any man or government, not forcing someone to change a game or a make them a cake. Go play SIMs or Go to another store that will make the cake

Gays are frequently beaten up and assaulted in the streets for being gay.

In countries like Russia yes, but me and this guy dont live there last time I checked. The last serious case like that here in the U.S. was early 90's. This dude is complaining about game that isnt allowing him to be himself. Last time i checked 90 percent of games are make beleive entertainment and you araren't yourself. If he wants to date a man in this game be a chick pretty easy if you ask me