By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo response to Tomodachi gay issue... me happy :)

Nice response from Nintendo. They didn't really even have to respond since it wasn't even a big issue but its great that they did anyway.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
nitekrawler1285 said:
the_dengle said:
So, how would you guys implement homosexuality into a game like Tomodachi Life? Would you ask the player about each Mii's sexual preference in the creator? Or would each Mii generated have some chance (50%? 10%? 2%?) of being homosexual? Or would all Miis simply be bisexual and have an equal chance of forming relationships with either gender?

I think I've come up with a solution: Miis should not have genders. As it is, choosing male or female does not affect the assets available for customization. Players could simply create a Mii that looks and acts however they want, and it wouldn't need a defined gender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etxceok4M44 

Just watch the first 2 minutes.  All you would have to add is a who would you marry, date, like LIKE and have an extra middle option for the male and female. Problem solved.  

That's not Tomodachi Life though.

Miis are created in Mii Maker, not in Tomodachi Life. The Miis that appear in-game are not made in-game. They are generated based on the Miis in your Mii Plaza. So problem not solved, unless players are prompted in Mii Maker (a universal app included in all Wiis, Wii Us, and 3DSs) about the sexual preference of their Mii for use in a single game.

Now, you customize your own Mii's personality in Tomodachi Life, but only the one, I believe. If all other Miis are straight by default, your gay Mii will have a hard time finding a romantic interest.

I still prefer my "Miis are genderless" solution. It would also have the benefit of pre-emptively addressing the complaints of the "TQ" part of the LGBTQ community before they were ever made into an issue.

You can always make a feminine male mii or manly female mii to solve this "problem" right?

sales2099 said:
Question: Is this the stance of the Japanese people/government in general?

Im from Canada, and everything is tolerated and accepted here lol. But I am unsure if other countries are on a similar page.

The Japanese are a people who really don't give a damn about what you do as long as you don't do it in public. They are *very* conservative about "acceptable public behavior," but basically anything goes behind closed doors. So unlike American social conservatives who might be outraged at the very idea that a man could want to live a life with another man, and also outraged at the sight of them out and about (like public displays of affection etc), the Japanese "outrage" (as far as that goes) would only extend to the "out and about" part.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

DolPhanTendo said:

Disney is getting high pressure by LGBT to release a character who is gay, people in AZ are getting sued for not making a cake for a gay wedding, and i can go on and on. What was the purpose of this young man to bitch about this game if he wasn't screaming about how unfaiir it is?  

Do have any clue what a right is? A right is being able to walk down the street without getting assualted or beating by any man or government, not forcing someone to change a game or a make them a cake. Go play SIMs or Go to another store that will make the cake

First off stop making gay peoples actions inflammatory.  Any time a gay person speaks they are not bitching or screaming.  It's a lame attempt at negative characterization or dismissing our opinions but I wont have it. 

Furthermore NO ONE AT ALL has claimed that their rights have been violated.  Not the guy who started Miiquality and no one that i've read on these forums and others.  YOU were the person to bring up rights.  

http://vimeo.com/93044318
He doesn't yell. He doesn't scream, he doesn't bitch.  He simply asks Nintendo to provide an option for him to enjoy all of the content of the game.  He asks others to do it too. No talk about rights.  Just pleaing for a more enjoyable experience for him and probably alot of other people.  

I don't need to play the Sims.  I got be in a relationship with a man at the end of Dragon's Dogma.  I don't even care if Tomodatchi Life includes it in the game personally.  I do think that Tye and other gay people should be able to ask to be included in things they enjoy without having their character assassinated.  I do think that Nintendo should seek to include as many people possible cause it's just plain good business.  

God forbid anybody ask for anything.  Screaming yelling bitchy needy idiots the lot of them. /sarcasm  

Around the Network

I never expected them to change it, nor did I really care if they did (it's a virtual relationship, who cares?). But times are changing, and Nintendo could have used this as a huge PR opportunity and missed out.

Edit: Also, apparently there was a bug in the Japanese version which allowed male x male relationships, and the Japanese had a blast exploiting it, until Nintendo mercilessly patched it. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

the_dengle said:

That's not Tomodachi Life though.

Miis are created in Mii Maker, not in Tomodachi Life. The Miis that appear in-game are not made in-game. They are generated based on the Miis in your Mii Plaza. So problem not solved, unless players are prompted in Mii Maker (a universal app included in all Wiis, Wii Us, and 3DSs) about the sexual preference of their Mii for use in a single game.

Now, you customize your own Mii's personality in Tomodachi Life, but only the one, I believe. If all other Miis are straight by default, your gay Mii will have a hard time finding a romantic interest.

I still prefer my "Miis are genderless" solution. It would also have the benefit of pre-emptively addressing the complaints of the "TQ" part of the LGBTQ community before they were ever made into an issue.

That solution also takes out all relationship content in the game and makes it less enjoyable for everyone.  

If those Mii's haven't made a selection in Tomodatchi Life Bisexual should be default and it solves the lonely issue too.  

nitekrawler1285 said:
As an Black gay male I hardly ever get that opportunity. Outside of a few EA games and Dragon's Dogma I have never had the opportunity to be represented that way in a game. For me it's a big deal.

Further more I don't see any issues with the sales of the Sims, Mass Effect, and Dragon's Dogma. I also don't recall any uproar over it being included in those games so I find it hard to believe there would be a massive uproar about it for Tomodatchi Life.

Nintendo is a company that tries to appeal to families and kids.  It's a bit naiieve to think the majority of that base would be happy.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
As an Black gay male I hardly ever get that opportunity. Outside of a few EA games and Dragon's Dogma I have never had the opportunity to be represented that way in a game. For me it's a big deal.

Further more I don't see any issues with the sales of the Sims, Mass Effect, and Dragon's Dogma. I also don't recall any uproar over it being included in those games so I find it hard to believe there would be a massive uproar about it for Tomodatchi Life.

Nintendo is a company that tries to appeal to families and kids.  It's a bit naiieve to think the majority of that base would be happy.

We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game's design, and such a significant development change can't be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players. - Nintendo

Gay people are families and kids too.  We don't get beamed down from some foreign planet.  I'm happy Nintendo seems to get it even if their apoligists don't.   

So is Nintendo going to change the whole "rescue the princess" dynamic of Mario and Zelda games now because it discriminates against homosexuals?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.