By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD is not accurate ( partly )

Yeah, but it's the closest thing to accurate out there. Besides the sample size is so big that the margin of error must be very small.

Around the Network

accurate down to the exact number of consoles sold? no.

gets the ranking in the right order.........................................................................................

I knew who started this thread before clicking it. Your point is moot and in vain.

Max King of the Wild said:
I knew who started this thread before clicking it. Your point is moot and in vain.

yes well played, you got me there with your great arguments

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

They are literally 10000 better then anyone else.
So their work will be taken as fact, everything else as opinion.

Around the Network
BeElite said:

They are literally 10000 better then anyone else.
So their work will be taken as fact, everything else as opinion.

based on what?

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

How did I know this would be an Xbox supporter who posted this?

Seriously, though, there's really no point in arguing against NPD. There's a reason companies use their data. And why this site adjusts to their numbers. It's the most accurate tracker for the US out there, as it gets the vast majority of its data directly from retailers. For consoles, I believe that makes up 65%-70% of the market. Again, that's real data, not estimates. For the rest, I believe they poll smaller companies. Their estimates must be in line with companies shipment data, as well, since no company has called them out for undertracking their products.

thismeintiel said:

Seriously, though, there's really no point in arguing against NPD. There's a reason companies use their data. And why this site adjusts to their numbers. It's the most accurate tracker for the US out there, as it gets the vast majority of its data directly from retailers. For consoles, I believe that makes up 65%-70% of the market. Again, that's real data, not estimates. For the rest, I believe they poll smaller companies. Their estimates must be in line with companies shipment data, as well, since no company has called them out for undertracking their products.

Actually that is nonsense NPD has been questioned by all kinds of console supporters even ps3 fans in the early years of the ps3. Don't try to take the easy route.

they actually undertracked the wii during its launch window

Also, you mind saying which "many large retailers" don't report to them, cause I think you're wrong. The only one that I know of that didn't was Walmart, which may explain the Wii mistake. However, that changed in 2012. So yea, which companies don't?

kirby007 said:
thismeintiel said:

Actually that is nonsense NPD has been questioned by all kinds of console supporters even ps3 fans in the early years of the ps3. Don't try to take the easy route.

they actually undertracked the wii during its launch window

Actually, you're taking the easy way out by focusing on that one sentence.  Mind reading the paragraph under it where I explain why you are wrong?