By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How has Mario remained popular, when other Cartoon Videogame characters have failed or declined in popularity?

There are many factors, the main ones being that almost all of his games are of a very high quality and that his design is unique and timeless unlike sonic and crash who are more what companies thought were cool at the time.

Around the Network

Mario is more timeless.

Sonic and Crash reek of 1990s style marketing group think (see: The Simpsons Poochie episode).

They really manage their licenses:
- high standard of quality. Even one shitty game can kill a license. Most other characters were ruined by declining quality or shitty games (see what happened to Sonic)
- good release timing. Not too much games that get a fans bored, not so little it's forgotten.
- use of the character as a guest star and free advertising in lot of games (mario kart, etc.)
- as a result of all 3 above, enough fans to make any release a success

Also, in lots of genre with declining success, one and only one game title remains as a famous and massive worldwide sale. For example, civilization for turn based strategic game, street fighter for fighting games. For platform game, Mario is the One.

GoldenGamer said:

Ironic since Nintendo is a "kids" company as none of their games are mature outside of Metroid. I have not played Mario since I was about 11-12 years old because I out grew it. Bought Galaxy for a family member's Wii and just could not get into it.Mainly because of the motion control which is a gimmick.

Nintendo makes games for everybody...its like the difference between Disney movies and Bob the Builder. One of them is accessible to kids but enjoyable by everybody and the other is exclusively for kids.

PS: Zelda, Metroid, Xenoblade, Fatal Frame, Fire Emblem, Sin and Punishment, a few funded/published titles (Monster Hunter, Bayonetta, Last Story, Pandora's Tower) and a few one off titles (Zengeki, Geist, Disaster) are just some of the "mature" games I can think of off of the top of my head...theres more than just metroid

Because people buy it.

Around the Network

Because Nintendo KEeps making Video games with Mario in it.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mario as a character has zero personality.
Go ahead, try to describe his character without referencing:
*his job, clothes, heritage/race
*the various settings of the games he's been in
*any of the other character's in the Mario Universe
*any other characters in general

He's adventurous, heroic, and chivalrous. This is all based on him running through 8 unknown lands to save a girl he never met for no predetermined gain. 

Nostalgia and Parents who played mario when they were younger buys Mario games for their kids.

bfydik said:
Nostalgia and Parents who played mario when they were younger buys Mario games for their kids.

Maybe...

Just Maybe...

They are good games?

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

I think It wouldn't be called Nostalgia if Mario games weren't gooood