By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How has Mario remained popular, when other Cartoon Videogame characters have failed or declined in popularity?

Fusioncode said:
Because they kept making good games? Sonic should try it sometime.

I dont think Sonic has any fault in this.

Sonic Team definitly does. I still dont understand why they keep refusing to make the sequals Sonic fans clamor for and keep coming up with the next terrible twist they can make on the Sonic formula.

Around the Network

Someone here is on to something he is the most famous char but also the one with the least amount of backstory

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

*Consistent quality
*He's been the face of Nintendo ever since they started
*Featured in at least 3 games per year
2014: Mario Kart 8, SSB4, Mario Golf
2013: M&L Dream Team, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Party IT

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Clyde32 said:

His happiness is shown in multiple cases. 

Play Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

As for everything else I said, his lack of perception and his love for relaxation came from Mario Sunshine. 

Happiness is a emotion not a personality. Mario has also been shown to be sad on many occassions. Luckily he has different feelings or he'd be a robot, if not a 2D character. Lack of perception is a synonym for confusion which is literally a status condition in pokemon akin to paralyzation and sleep. As for love of relaxation, that tends to be the case with people on vacation, unless they are workaholics.

The truth is Mario is an Enigma. 

Chicks dig mysterious guys.

its simple...its addictive!

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
garretslarrity said:
Haven't you realized by now that Nintendo games are laced with cocaine to make you addicted?

Really?

@ Fusioncode

But why is it that these other developers seem incapable of keeping a steady line of quality coming? Is it that hard?

Other companies are ruled by idiotic shareholders and greedy bosses.  Nintendo doesnt give a damn about what their shareholders want (go mobile!!!!!) and actually has some ethics.

Also not overly complicated game mechanics. Its a hardcore game thats also casual (casual does NOT mean easy it means accessible) and therefore has mass appeal. Others only focus on kids etc.

There's a side to this that I haven't seen adressed. It has do do with who Mario is. See most of these mascots were made specifically to appeal to a target audience. Sonic Crash etc their appearance and personality all reflect what was cool at the time. There was no demand for an short Italian plumber. That wasn't in any focus group. I think that's what makes him stay relevant.

Because he has a fucking moustache.

JAK N BLAK From The Youtubez!
►Watch Dogs Multiplayer Gameplay! WatchDogs Online: Multiplayer Gameplay 'Online Hacking' Gamemode FULLY EXPLAINED! (WatchDogs Online Multiplayer Gameplay)◄

LINK TO VID - WATCH HERE - http://youtu.be/4Hr9sJf7N7I

spurgeonryan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Think Disney and you will understand. They reach gamers at impressionable ages and those gamers have their parents wallets as well. If they have children and their parents sales are sure to be high. They keep their universe tight and uniform like Disney with recognizable faces.

It helps that Disney makes incredibly good purchases. Pixar! Then Marvel! After The Avengers, every Marvel movie has made crazy money. Plus pixar constantly tries to raise the bar.

Yep. Disney is now realizing that the kiddie image is wearing off with the mass of children and diversifying is important. Children are no longer growing up playing childrens games like they did in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Millenials are changing the way people look at marketing strategies because they dont want to only watch Disney, but rather watch a broader variety of shows since parents are lowerin the reigns on how they are being raised, especially in countries like America. Purchasing habits are also showing the change in the trend. Nintendo is following suit by getting second and third party to change their image slightly. 

When you are the best at what you do, it gets noticed. When you are consistently one of the best, people trust you. Extreme changes in formula also does not help.
People always say Mario needs a very large shake up, but that's the vocal minority. The general public clearly loves many traditional Mario games. Hence why the 2D versions almost always sell better.