By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else think Steam Machines are going to be a massive flop?

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I honestly thought that Steam machines were gonna be these $500 pcs made by valve's specifications that were more powerful than regular $500 PCs... Instead what we got are just normal gaming PCs (most are over-priced) with the "steam box" label on them and the FREE steam OS... Yea, its gonna flop considering PC gamers are not idiots that don't know how to build their own PCs

This is what I thought

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Around the Network

The reason why people aren't labelling it as Ouya is because it doesn't have to sell well to get games support. Consoles like Xbox, Wii or even Ouya need decent sales to get games made for it. Steam machines only need to sell enough to get the development costs and costs of production and distribution back.

We have no idea how many machines that will be for every single company releasing these machines but in no way do they need to sell millions which would be still too less for "standard" consoles.

Will they succeed? No clue, maybe some will and some not so tha we will have in the end only a few different companies working on them but they have to sell much much less as dedicated consoles not based on a PC platform where the support automatically comes from. 

Depends what defines a flop in this case. If you mean that not selling millions of units in the first year is a flop then yes it will flop hard. But I don't think anyone at Valve was expecting that at all. Steam Machines was never going to have a console like launch, and they were never meant directly compete with consoles. To hear Valve say it Steam Machines, SteamOS, in home streaming, the Steam controller and Big Picture is a long term initiative that was created because Steam users were increasingly wanting to have access to PC gaming in the living room with a controller. It was never meant to compete with the big three, but instead make it easier for existing Steam users to consume content in a wider verity of setups. The market for small form factor PCs for gaming in the living room has existed for years. Valve are just trying to make that experience better so that people will buy more games. The Steam Machines branding it's self really doesn't mean much more than a nice marketing slogan PC manufacturers can use for that market segment.

The SteamOS/Linux push was also because of moves that MS were making at the time to push Windows into a more closed ecosystem, which caused a lot of players in the PC space (not just Valve) to get very worried about how monopolistic Windows is. So they decided to start investing into an alternative as it would take years to set one up and if MS did go full retard it would be too late. Luckily MS seem to have pretty much abandoned their plans once they realized that the entire PC industry pretty much said FU. But competition is still good to have, and having a viable alternative OS for PC gaming allows developers to put more pressure on MS to improve which makes things better for everyone.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I thought they were out already, have they not already flopped?

What is the plus behind the steam IOS :o ?

Around the Network
MoiseHnkel said:
What is the plus behind the steam IOS :o ?

It's not Windows... or OSX.

The best part about Steam OS is that it built from the ground as a gaming OS, and not as a multi-purpose OS with the gaming bit added as an extension up over the years.

bonzobanana said:
I'm really looking forward to steam os.

It will bring down the price of PCs by not needing a licensed windows operating system,

literally penies on the dollar, I got W8 for like 15 dollars, also many functional OS of the Unix variety are free.

improve optimisation of games and give users a gui much more orientated towards end consumers in the home.

You mean gamers. Not just general consumers.

They already claim 100s of titles run natively on steam os and there will be streaming support for others.

As the operating system becomes established I'm sure many will buy a steam box but that won't make up the majority of the market.

SteamBox is just a branding, SteamOS is free and has no exlusivity

Windows is so utterly awful, destroying much of the performance of PC's with its bloated size and overly complicated processes. A fast lean operating system for x86 would be hugely beneficial to most consumers.

It would but its not going to change much of anything. OSX has been trying to overtake Windows for years. SteamOS benefits come from when its running on the system either through dual boot or it being your main installation. Considering PCs are NOT dedicated gaming devices, its rather unlikely to switch OSes just to play games. Especailly with consoles being the lead dev platform, if PC's were being outperformed cross the board by some kind of secret sauce, maybe then MantleSteamOS might be useful.

I would urge people to support Steam OS because PC gaming will improve because of it. It might take 3-4 years to become established but at the end of that time I doubt there will be many that want to go back to Windows.

SteamOS has no exclusives, all it has is performance. Compared to the one time purchase of an OS. No Chance. Especially not with the casuals. And you don't need a branded box to get it too so the Steam Boxes are pretty extraneous.

It makes no sense to use a business/productivity type operating system for the basis of a gaming system.

It makes no sense to use a PC as solely a gaming machine, unless ofc money is no object to you.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Valve doesn't have anything to lose here. Some of you are forgetting that. Even if they adoption rate is veeeery slow they'll still make money off it.

Fusioncode said:

I really don't get the target audience for this product. Judging by these prices, I really don't think they're going to appeal to console gamers who can get a system for $300-500. PC gamers can just build their own rigs so the Steam Machines are pointless for them too. I think the only reason people aren't labeling this as the Ouya 2.0 is because of the massive goodwill Valve has accumulated over the years. They'll get a few sales from the Valve faithfuls and tech geeks but I don't see it doing well beyond that. 

Thoughts?

I agree with you. I just don't get it either.

PC will eventually rule all. How many consoles there can be? Collectors will need warehouses for them soon. The only essential home console is PS2.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.