By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Wii U Owners Not Buy 3rd Party Games?

Tagged games:

baloofarsan said:
All numbers according to VGChartz database:
Wii U has sold 6.1 million consoles and 23 million retail software. (Ratio = 3.7)
PS 4 has sold 7.2 million consoles and 16.3 million retail software. (Ratio = 2.3)
Xone has sold 4.4 million consoles and 12.5 million retail software. (Ratio = 2.8)

With one year head start Wii U owners buy more games but as it seems they prefer first-party.

With how digital is this gen, its probably kinda off.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network
Ucell said:
curl-6 said:
baloofarsan said:
Wii U has sold 6.1 million consoles and 23 million retail software. (Ratio = 3.7)
PS 4 has sold 7.2 million consoles and 16.3 million retail software. (Ratio = 2.3)
Xone has sold 4.4 million consoles and 12.5 million retail software. (Ratio = 2.8)

With one year head start Wii U owners buy more games but as it seems they prefer first-party.

Of course we do, that's where the best games come from in my personal opinion.

Corrected.

Unnecessary.

Fusioncode said:
curl-6 said:
baloofarsan said:

Of course we do, that's where the best games come from.

Or more 1st party games have been getting heavily bundled in comparison to PS4 and XBO. 

You're saying Nintendo fans don't prefer first party games?

baloofarsan said:

That's the important part here. Aligned the PS4 and X1 both beat the Wii U in sales and tie ratio. And if I had to guess then I'd say that after the holidays this year the PS4 if not both will have overtaken the Wii U in software sales. Also we can't forget that pretty much every Wii U sold right now is bundled with 2 games, which of course also helps the software sales and ratio.

More from VGC Database:
Wii U has sold 16.8 million first-party with a total of 23 million retail software. (73%)

Taking away not "full" first-party software
(Just Dance, Ninja Gaiden, Sonic LW, W101, M&S at Sochi, Monster Hunter, ZombiU, Lego City)
Wii U has sold 14.1 million first-party with a total of 23 million retail software. (61%)

PS 4 has sold 3.75 million first-party with a total of 16.3 million retail software. (23%)
Xone has sold 3.27 million first-party with a total of 12.5 million retail software. (26%)

I did not think it would be that much of a difference, Nintendo fanboys really are another kind of gamer!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Fusioncode said:
curl-6 said:
baloofarsan said:

Of course we do, that's where the best games come from.

Or more 1st party games have been getting heavily bundled in comparison to PS4 and XBO. 

You're saying Nintendo fans don't prefer first party games?

Sure, but the ratio is bolstered on the WiiU thanks to heavy bundling. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:

When you buy a bundle though, you're still making the decision to purchase the bundled games, it's a package deal.

DerNebel said:
baloofarsan said:

That's the important part here. Aligned the PS4 and X1 both beat the Wii U in sales and tie ratio. And if I had to guess then I'd say that after the holidays this year the PS4 if not both will have overtaken the Wii U in software sales. Also we can't forget that pretty much every Wii U sold right now is bundled with 2 games, which of course also helps the software sales and ratio.

The Ratio is not depending that much on how long the console has been on the market, early adopters are probably those that buy more software, later buyers have not that much interest and/or money. 

Download ratio maybe is bigger on PS4 and Xone as they have better storage. Myself have only downloded Rayman and indie-games, on the Wii U. On X360 I only downloaded indie-games. On the Wii I downloaded nothing.

Bundled games are no reason. Most people buy games not consoles.

Ka-pi96 said:
curl-6 said:
Fusioncode said:

When you buy a bundle though, you're still making the decision to purchase the bundled games, it's a package deal.

Depends on how it is bundled. Some times Nintendo has had it so it's difficult if not impossible to buy the console without a game (Wii Sports) included.

If people didn't want games like NSMBU stores would be flooded with second hand copies. 

baloofarsan said:
DerNebel said:

The Ratio is not depending that much on how long the console has been on the market, early adopters are probably those that buy more software, later buyers have not that much interest and/or money. 

Download ratio maybe is bigger on PS4 and Xone as they have better storage. Myself have only downloded Rayman and indie-games, on the Wii U. On X360 I only downloaded indie-games. On the Wii I downloaded nothing.

Bundled games are no reason. Most people buy games not consoles.

Early adopters might be buying more but the longer the system is available, the more games it gets that people really want. So tie ratio is definitely depending on how long a system is on the market, especially in the beginning.

Just take the Wii U as an example, last April it had a tie ratio of only about 2.28, simply because it didn't have many games. This holiday season, with all the games coming out on next gen consoles is going to seriously drive the tie ratio up.

And yeah, download sales are a whole nother story.