By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Amount Of Sony Product Placement In 'The Amazing Spider-Man' Sequel Is Ridiculous

So you're saying it's a Sony movie?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

At least it's not blatant...

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

JerCotter7 said:
irstupid said:
Well I'm a mixed bag on marketing in games/movies

One one hand I'm all for it. Makes it seem realistic. You see ads all over in real life, I would rather see a Sears store or IHOP (for example in Man of Steel) than see some random made up store name. Also its basically free money for the movie/game which as I said makes it more realistic, so win/win scenerio.

Now there are downsides and that is product PUSHING. I never felt pushed in Man of Steel because the products were all different. We didn't go into 100 different IHOP's, or see 30 Sears stores, ect. We saw one and moved on. This Amazing Spiderman 2 movie from what you point out sounds like I might be cringing. There is nothing more immersive breaking than when someone goes to check their computer for something you see the computer logo, then the Windows 8 interface and some stupid way to just get to the internet and find something. Seriously just have the computer magically already showing the internet page. TV shows do this long super obvious advertising all the time. It annoys the hell out of me.

So I'll have to see on this movie. As long as its just logo's on things it won't bother me, but I do hope there is variety. Everything being Sony would also be immersion breaking.

Man of steel? That movie showed nokia phones just for the sake of showing nokia.

That being said TASM 2 isn't too bad. Skyfall was worse for it. One scene had about 20 Vaios. 

She just looked on her phone and saw it was broadcasting.  I not once noticed what phone it was.  Would you prefer it be a Samsung phone?  an Apple phone?  Or just some made up generic looking phone with no logo.  Personally I would like a brand over generic, as said makes it realistic.

THIS IS BAD PRODUCT PLACEMENT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRZ03SFB68

irstupid said:
JerCotter7 said:
irstupid said:
Well I'm a mixed bag on marketing in games/movies

One one hand I'm all for it. Makes it seem realistic. You see ads all over in real life, I would rather see a Sears store or IHOP (for example in Man of Steel) than see some random made up store name. Also its basically free money for the movie/game which as I said makes it more realistic, so win/win scenerio.

Now there are downsides and that is product PUSHING. I never felt pushed in Man of Steel because the products were all different. We didn't go into 100 different IHOP's, or see 30 Sears stores, ect. We saw one and moved on. This Amazing Spiderman 2 movie from what you point out sounds like I might be cringing. There is nothing more immersive breaking than when someone goes to check their computer for something you see the computer logo, then the Windows 8 interface and some stupid way to just get to the internet and find something. Seriously just have the computer magically already showing the internet page. TV shows do this long super obvious advertising all the time. It annoys the hell out of me.

So I'll have to see on this movie. As long as its just logo's on things it won't bother me, but I do hope there is variety. Everything being Sony would also be immersion breaking.

Man of steel? That movie showed nokia phones just for the sake of showing nokia.

That being said TASM 2 isn't too bad. Skyfall was worse for it. One scene had about 20 Vaios. 

She just looked on her phone and saw it was broadcasting.  I not once noticed what phone it was.  Would you prefer it be a Samsung phone?  an Apple phone?  Or just some made up generic looking phone with no logo.  Personally I would like a brand over generic, as said makes it realistic.

THIS IS BAD PRODUCT PLACEMENT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRZ03SFB68

I'm just saying Man of Steel is worst than TASM 2 imo. I'd rather we have product placement and get sequels to movies than for movies to flop.

That's supposed to be ridiculous product placement?

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
No, this is product placement...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHCqw23zU_o

Yeah, there is a world of difference between stacking a scene with props from one particular brand and hijacking the frickin' dialogue into a discussion about this great new consumer product.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

That's silly cause you can barely see those products or even see if they are Sony products.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Especially since the most noticeable was the Vaio computers, which of course they are selling off.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

sergiodaly said:
NCIS LA and Hawai 5-0 have lots of episodes where they talk about MS products, ain't just there in the background, they talk about it. a very obvious HIMYM episode had so much MS products that is was obvious it was a MS marketing buy out... there are so much iphones in TV shows. i'm sure apple pays some of them.

its smart business to mix and promote your products in productions (games, movies, tv shows, etc) as long as there are no added lines in the script to mention it. how stupid would be if he had lots of electronics and none were from sony? sure people like that does exist, but the other way around exist too.

the writer was trying to take it out of proportion because it is not in your face and does not break immersion IMO.

Surface tablets are almost ubiquitous in Elementary. They go to great lengths to ensure characters flip out that kickstand at least once an episode. As long as the characters are using the products in a natural way and not holding them to the camera and saying "Man this [product] is so awesome everyone should get it!" then who really cares. It helps pay for a movie/TV show to get made so it spreads the risk a bit. And why shouldn't Sony use it's own movie to put loads of different products in there?

I saw a nice shot of "Sony" on Arrow last night, just the top corner of the laptop screen at the bottom of the TV screen. Noticeable but not in your face. But again, a laptop, which Sony is dropping like a hot coal

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think House MD beats it with its Apple commercials in the 4th season and onwards...

But yeah, it is quite blatant in this case as well.