By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Ranks Second and Nintendo Seventh Between Companies the Japanese are Most Proud of

vivster said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
vivster said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

This survey loses all creditability now. They only include "employed" people, because majority of those unemployed are living out in the streets in boxes. Some of those people were laid off enmasse by some of these Japanese corporations. If the survey included the unemployed, many of those companies wouldn't even been on the list.

Please do go on how much impact these 40 people would've had on this poll.

I'll even ignore the fact that there is no way to "outvote" a company with that kind of list.

Sorry. You confused me. What 40 people?

The survey doesn't include the unemployed - which makes up a hefty sum of individuals in Japan.

Outvoting a company? I never made that claim... Did you quote the wrong person? I don't think you were trying to quote me.

Japan has an unemployment rate of 4% which in an unbiased sample of 1000 people would be about 40. Those would hardly have an impact on the overall results of this poll.

And how would it be then that some of these companies wouldn't be on the list? Certainly the top 10 in this list wouldn't change one bit.

To use the 4% as a way of saying, "Oh, it's only just 40 people" is very misleading. The point to the matter is, if the unemployed were included in the survey, the results would be different. This is a very basic concept of surveys. 

Surveys have multiple factors which can skewer their results: The particular area the survey is conducted, the number of people surveyed, the particular questions asked, and etc. Removing the unemployed from the survey removes a huge factor that would most certainly change that list, despite how low unemployement is in Japan.

Same goes for the United States. If you conduct a survey asking people their opinions about a particular show, you will get one set of results. If your survey only survyed, for example, white Americans, then your results will differ if you were to include minorities. African Americans only make up around 15 - 20% of the total population. If, for example again, you were to include African Americans in your survey about a particular show, it will change the results on your survey, even though the majority of your respondants are white Americans. 

Do you understand? The survey purposefully excluding a particular group of people (for no good reason) makes this survey bias and misleading, because it doesn't include _all_ people.

Around the Network
greencactaur said:
....Wonder if that means more Jrpgs on ps4? :C

No.

vivster said:
aikohualda said:

honestly i want them to do the same thing with german companies....

It'll probably be Mercedes anyway.

I vote for Telekom, SAP and Bayer.

Don't forget Siemens.

QuintonMcLeod said:
vivster said:

Japan has an unemployment rate of 4% which in an unbiased sample of 1000 people would be about 40. Those would hardly have an impact on the overall results of this poll.

And how would it be then that some of these companies wouldn't be on the list? Certainly the top 10 in this list wouldn't change one bit.

To use the 4% as a way of saying, "Oh, it's only just 40 people" is very misleading. The point to the matter is, if the unemployed were included in the survey, the results would be different. This is a very basic concept of surveys. 

Surveys have multiple factors which can skewer their results: The particular area the survey is conducted, the number of people surveyed, the particular questions asked, and etc. Removing the unemployed from the survey removes a huge factor that would most certainly change that list, despite how low unemployement is in Japan.

Same goes for the United States. If you conduct a survey asking people their opinions about a particular show, you will get one set of results. If your survey only survyed, for example, white Americans, then your results will differ if you were to include minorities. African Americans only make up around 15 - 20% of the total population. If, for example again, you were to include African Americans in your survey about a particular show, it will change the results on your survey, even though the majority of your respondants are white Americans. 

Do you understand? The survey purposefully excluding a particular group of people (for no good reason) makes this survey bias and misleading, because it doesn't include _all_ people.

The result would be still not much different for Sony or many others in this case. Sony got 406 of 1000 possible votes. If 40 of these 1000 voters would have been unemployed there would have been maybe 20 votes less for Sony (that's rounded up, probably more like 16) if none of these (also unrealistic) would vote for Sony which would put them still at 38.6% but probably at 39-40%. For companies who got 20-25% votes in this poll the to expected loss of votes would be even lower since they already got only every 4th-5th vote. So, those could maybe expect to lose ~8 of their 200-250 votes. 

Then there is the fact that employed people will also consider a company as not so great if it's known to fire people even if they are still employed. Or do you expect that employed people don't care about a company which has a bad name if it comes to that just because they have a job? That took probably also already some votes away of these companies.

It would also not push other companies way up since there is no reason why employed persons shouldn't vote for companies unemployed would since both would obviously vote for these companies for the reason that they are good potential employers who didn't fire people. 

So, those who aren't liked by unemployed people would get only a very slow percentual downgrade and those companies who are liked by them would probably get 0 extra votes since employed people have no reason to vote less for these companies.

You are right, it's not a 100% accurate survey because of this but it would change not much and almost all companies in that list would be still there and not like you said "many wouldn't"

I mean, to even think that employed people don't care about companies who made a name as companies who fire people in masses is beyond me. In reality there is no real reason why employed people shouldn't think the same as unemployed in this case only because they have a job.

GamechaserBE said:
crissindahouse said:
GamechaserBE said:
crissindahouse said:

I'm not proud of any company as long as I didn't help to get that company where it is with my own ideas or work. Is something wrong with me?

it is a bit different, Sony is one of those companies that build up Japan after WWII, one of the companies that created jobs and also helped to create technology and helped to make japan famous as a technology country :).

Well, I live in Germany, I think there are enough companies who helped to get Germany out of the shit.

Hmm witch one as an example?

Volkswagen/Mercedes/BMW/Porsche

Bayer

Puma/Addidas

Bosch

IG Farben/ BASF

Allianz Insurances

Aldi/Lidl

Deutsche Bank

Thyssen/Krupp

Siemens

Lufthansa

MAN

Continental

Braun

Deutsche Telekom

Ofcourse there were many more companies I didnt list like Grundig for example which helped Germany after WW2

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
vivster said:

The result would be still not much different for Sony or many others in this case. Sony got 406 of 1000 possible votes. If 40 of these 1000 voters would have been unemployed there would have been maybe 20 votes less for Sony (that's rounded up, probably more like 16) if none of these (also unrealistic) would vote for Sony which would put them still at 38.6% but probably at 39-40%. For companies who got 20-25% votes in this poll the to expected loss of votes would be even lower since they already got only every 4th-5th vote. So, those could maybe expect to lose ~8 of their 200-250 votes. 

Then there is the fact that employed people will also consider a company as not so great if it's known to fire people even if they are still employed. Or do you expect that employed people don't care about a company which has a bad name if it comes to that just because they have a job? That took probably also already some votes away of these companies.

It would also not push other companies way up since there is no reason why employed persons shouldn't vote for companies unemployed would since both would obviously vote for these companies for the reason that they are good potential employers who didn't fire people. 

So, those who aren't liked by unemployed people would get only a very slow percentual downgrade and those companies who are liked by them would probably get 0 extra votes since employed people have no reason to vote less for these companies.

You are right, it's not a 100% accurate survey because of this but it would change not much and almost all companies in that list would be still there and not like you said "many wouldn't"

I mean, to even think that employed people don't care about companies who made a name as companies who fire people in masses is beyond me. In reality there is no real reason why employed people shouldn't think the same as unemployed in this case only because they have a job.

Ermm... I never mentioned Sony. The point had nothing to do with Sony at all - or even Nintendo.

Also, it's difficult to get "fired" in Japan. Additionally, the culture in Japan is very different. In Japan, most people do their work and not complain. So, whether the work is good or bad, this isn't something openly discussed in Japanese culture. So, what makes this particular survey bias is that even if there _were_ issues with the companies the Japanese worked for, they would mostly never talk about them.

The survey is mostly about company perception, and the unemployed are much louder than the employed. In Japanese culture, where you work is what you do. Your attitude there can either help or hurt the company as a whole. So, most Japanese are loyal to where they work for this very reason. However, most of the unemployed have no loyalty to any particular company; so their opinions would be more vocal and more honest. However, their voices were completely cut from the frame. Therefore, you'll never truly know how Japan as a whole thinks.

Another thing I must mention. Ignore the unemployment rate when it comes to surveys. I made a great example before, and I'll break it down again. In the US, African Americans take up 15-20 percent of the entire population. So out of 1000 people, you may conclude that African Americans take up 150 to 200 people out of 1000 people. Meanwhile, white Americans would encompass 800 - 850 of the rest of that 1000. That's an overwhelming majority, right? So, what you're thinking is that, if we don't survey African Americans, then the survey would stay the same. However, that is completely false. Like I said earlier: The location in which the survey in conducted is important. Notice how the Japanese survey didn't specify where in Japan this survey was conducted. I'll break it down further. If we were to go to the poor areas of Chicago and conduct a survey, chances are, African Americans and other minorities would take up the bulk of that survey - despite the fact that they are the minority. 

Surveys can be skewed in a way that would make something totally false appear to be true. Excluding an entire group of people, not providing additional details such as income level, location and etc., makes this survey rubbish (and yes I did check the pdf). Excluding the unemployed is like excluding African Americans because they're the minority, and therefore, need not be included. I'm making that example to prove that, just because something is of a low percentage, doesn't mean the survey will give you the same results if it were excluded.

QuintonMcLeod said:

Ermm... I never mentioned Sony. The point had nothing to do with Sony at all - or even Nintendo.

Also, it's difficult to get "fired" in Japan. Additionally, the culture in Japan is very different. In Japan, most people do their work and not complain. So, whether the work is good or bad, this isn't something openly discussed in Japanese culture. So, what makes this particular survey bias is that even if there _were_ issues with the companies the Japanese worked for, they would mostly never talk about them.

The survey is mostly about company perception, and the unemployed are much louder than the employed. In Japanese culture, where you work is what you do. Your attitude there can either help or hurt the company as a whole. So, most Japanese are loyal to where they work for this very reason. However, most of the unemployed have no loyalty to any particular company; so their opinions would be more vocal and more honest. However, their voices were completely cut from the frame. Therefore, you'll never truly know how Japan as a whole thinks.

Another thing I must mention. Ignore the unemployment rate when it comes to surveys. I made a great example before, and I'll break it down again. In the US, African Americans take up 15-20 percent of the entire population. So out of 1000 people, you may conclude that African Americans take up 150 to 200 people out of 1000 people. Meanwhile, white Americans would encompass 800 - 850 of the rest of that 1000. That's an overwhelming majority, right? So, what you're thinking is that, if we don't survey African Americans, then the survey would stay the same. However, that is completely false. Like I said earlier: The location in which the survey in conducted is important. Notice how the Japanese survey didn't specify where in Japan this survey was conducted. I'll break it down further. If we were to go to the poor areas of Chicago and conduct a survey, chances are, African Americans and other minorities would take up the bulk of that survey - despite the fact that they are the minority. 

Surveys can be skewed in a way that would make something totally false appear to be true. Excluding an entire group of people, not providing additional details such as income level, location and etc., makes this survey rubbish (and yes I did check the pdf). Excluding the unemployed is like excluding African Americans because they're the minority, and therefore, need not be included. I'm making that example to prove that, just because something is of a low percentage, doesn't mean the survey will give you the same results if it were excluded.

No, I did the math for this case so don't compare it with 15-20% African Americans or whatever. It was particular about this survey and the 4% unemployement rate since you were the guy who said that "many" companies wouldn't be in that list and this is simply wrong. Most would probably not even change their position.  Not sure if you even read what I wrote. I even said that you are right that this survey isn't 100% accurate because of that but you can still expect almost the same result if you would switch 40 of the 1000 people.  I used Sony as example because this thread was about them and Nintendo and Sony got a high 40% or around 400 votes so that they could expect to lose more votes as most others in this ranking if Sony would get less votes from unemployed people. But even they would lose only 16 votes if we would take the average loss they could expect and if not only one unemployed would vote for them. 

All I tried to explain to you was that you are wrong when you say that many companies wouldn't be in that list if 4% of the voters would have been unempoyed. Even the companies at the end of the list wouldn't have problems to stay in the list. If only every fifth vote was a "Yes" for a company  then this company will only lose around 8 "Yes" votes if you have to replace 40 of the 1000 voters because only 8 of 40 or 200 of 1000 voted with "Yes". And this only if not only one unemployed will vote for this company. 

And it is very unrealistic that companies who aren't in that list would get more votes from unemployed since there is no reason for employed to vote less for a company unemployed would like to vote for. 

Criss leave the game making strawhat arguments. If you have seen enough comments you know what he is after. This survey because of other factors probably have an margin of error bigger than even the unemployes left out.

But if you would make it just for he to be happy take all 40 votes from the last company and give to a generic one that isn't one the list and see if it would drop.

Maybe he wanted that just unemployed people would vote... and in Japan that probably wouldn't make a difference. Even tough I was fired on one company and stayed unemployed for 1 year I don't hold any grudge against them, and even root for them to keep improving the quality of their service and keep winning prizes on that.

Country pride on a country that thinks colletive wouldn't see much change in this survey. Maybe in America if they surveyed the unemployed for the companies they like more and less you would see great difference than from the ones that are employed... and even tough most people don't know that other companies fired people, so some may be pissed at AT&T for losing their jobs but would vote for Sears (and maybe Sears also fired a lot and those could vote for AT&T) so I don't think much would change, unless of course as you said the big fires generated commotion and bad fame.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Sony actually still has a great name globally despite their financial woes. People can bash them all they want they still make great products.

In America I'd have to say Google, Apple, Exxon, GM, Boeing, Microsoft, and CAT