By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's in a 'bag of hurt' because of Blu-ray

Physical media till they take it away from me :)

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
yeah, blu ray was really a bad investment.

i have maybe 400 dvds and about 20 blu ray. blu ray (or HD content in general) asking for a premium price is just stupid imo. $20 for a dvd but $30 for the same movie on blu ray. fuck that shit. i like the prettier picture but that is a hefty premium.

throw on some really nice convenience to digital and my transition was fast and complete. i don't buy any physical media for anything anymore (movie, tv, games, or music).

1080 was a was a real loser financially speaking. every time i see 4k i just roll my eyes and wonder why no one learns a fucking lesson from their failures.

In NZ blu ray are normally very cheap. New movies sure are expensive at start but they go on sale quite quickly. In nz,, you can get blu ray for 10 bucks or buy 1 free 1 or buy 2 get one free. Always sale for BD. Most of the tiem BD in nz are cheaper then dvds lol.

I guess I am part of the problem?

Both my PS4 and X1 have never seen a disc in any shape or form. Digital all the way.

foxtail said:
adriane23 said:

Generally LCDs have lower input lag. It's just a fact. Also, low end brand name LCDs (e.g. Toshiba) have really high input lag times and low input lag times depending on the model. A low end brand TV can have a far higher input lag time as well as poor picture quality compared to a high end brand TV. It's actually fairly inconsistent for all TV brands, as far as I've seen.

LCD TVs also have to be in game mode to have that low input lag -  which turns off some image processing and in turn reduces picture quality.

To what extent the picture quality is reduced in game mode also depends on the model.

Even that's inconsistent. Some LCD TVs have lower input lag in other TV modes than game mode. For the last month and a half, I've been researching TVs to see which one I'd purchase and some reviews (avsforum, cnet, PCMag, etc.) reported that game mode for certain TVs performed worse than say, standard mode, sports mode, or even vivid mode in terms of input lag. It was quite maddening actually.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

dane007 said:
kitler53 said:

i have maybe 400 dvds and about 20 blu ray. blu ray (or HD content in general) asking for a premium price is just stupid imo. $20 for a dvd but $30 for the same movie on blu ray. fuck that shit. i like the prettier picture but that is a hefty premium.

throw on some really nice convenience to digital and my transition was fast and complete. i don't buy any physical media for anything anymore (movie, tv, games, or music).

1080 was a was a real loser financially speaking. every time i see 4k i just roll my eyes and wonder why no one learns a fucking lesson from their failures.

In NZ blu ray are normally very cheap. New movies sure are expensive at start but they go on sale quite quickly. In nz,, you can get blu ray for 10 bucks or buy 1 free 1 or buy 2 get one free. Always sale for BD. Most of the tiem BD in nz are cheaper then dvds lol.

It's the same in Canada, most blu-ray at release are between $20 - $25, only Disney asks $30 - $32 for theirs. Then they go down to around $15 couple months later. Some go up, some drop to $10 or even $5. And that's just Amazon.ca. Retail has plenty shelves with $7.99 blu-rays or 2 for $10. Free delivery and pre-order price guarantee make Amazon a very convenient option for me.

In contrast Digital purchases stay high longer, but are more even accross the board. iTunes new releases $24.99 (4GB - 5GB download), sames as XBox video and PSN. Blu-ray is already cheaper at release except for Disney stuff and Criterion collection. There are exceptions, American hustle is currently $14.99 on iTunes (4.65GB), went up on blu-ray after release to $27, and is still $24.99 on PSN (6.4GB) and XBox video (? GB). Digital comes out earlier now, movie companies like the extra revenue from people that can't wait. Her has been available for a few weeks already, blu-ray comes out on the 13th.

I'll gladly wait and spend a couple dollars more now and then (usually less) for better sound and picture quality, extras and having something real. Plus you can always check exactly what you get before purchasing, either on the box or simply check blu-ray.com. With digital you just get a running time, some don't even list the download size (Xbox video). Some list 5.1 sound, yet not what kind, no extras, no info about subtitle options. And you end up with movies on different services. Plus older movies and less mainstream movies are hard to come by.

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
Sony tried really hard to corner the market, and it worked, they won the 'blu-ray war', but ultimately they sped up the loss to digital distribution. The people and companies that made the DVD's (and then blu-rays) are getting lost in this too. 

Kind of, but Sony can do just as well by a digital download/stream era, as they own major movie/TV/music studios.
They are better off owning BR and getting royalties from it, than paying Toshiba royaties.
As posted here, there is likely to be a future physical standard,
with networks unlikely to make 4k downloads/streams a near term reaity esp. globally,
and Sony will be participating (and likely making said players backwards compatable with BR).

AnthonyW86 said:
I never got why Sony invested so much in Blu-Ray to begin with. Back in the day it was already clear that things were moving to digital only, and dual-layer dvd's provided enough space at the time. They could have just let HD-DVD do it's thing, that would have saved them a lot of trouble. In the end it even made the ps3 more expensive and caused production delay.

It is hardly clear that abandoning Blu-Ray to allow Toshiba to win would have been better for Sony (or HD movies) in the end.

The actual trajectory of cost/price decreases (and lesser adoption rate) is not an inherent result of the format switch,
problems with blue laser supply were not really a huge technogical problem, but just a market supply inefficiency,
the result in pricing was mostly a profit-taking response by a consumer electronics industry with over-all profitability problems,
when Chinese (and Korean) brands were starting to eat established OEMs alive, also getting BR royalties was a plus for Sony.

Blu-Ray's larger capacity was and is also crucial to console gaming which is central to Sony's interests.
(both in total size, and it's higher speed can better augment read bandwith even for HD installed games)

That's the price paid for the era of "instant gratification". Physical media, brick and mortar shops, all dying out to digital content. In the time it takes me to write this post, I can go onto Steam, purchase and download a new videogame. I can do the same with movies and streaming shows via Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, Apple TV, etc. I don't have to move anything more than my hands to get it. I don't have to drive to the store, I can buy at 3 AM if I like, and so on.

I called Blu Ray/HD-DVD a bad idea from the getgo. This will be the shortest lived reign of a kind of physical media. Maybe we should just label it "Sony's Folly". Shareholder's are going to have someone's head for only generating 1/3rd of the expected profit.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

I'm pretty sure Sony and Toshiba don't have the same corporate leadership as when HD formats were released.

kitler53 said:

I'm 100% with you on this. I've got around 700 DVDs, and around 40 Blu-ray Discs. Once I got over the "oh it looks so good" stage, I couldn't bring myself to pay 50% more for the same shit. And on too of that, after having piled up so many DVDs, I really don't want to have a second huge collection on a seperate format, that costs a hell of a lot more. DVD didn't last long enough, even tho it's still available and sold, so why would anyone want to invest money in a collection that going to be replaced by the next- next thing, for even more money... I'm perfectly happy downloading movies now, thank you very much. Keep your blu ray, red ray, and whatever the hell ray you want to come up with.