By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - NBA bans Donald Sterling for life, fines him $2.5 million

badgenome said:
Well, that's interesting...

If you can be suspended from owning something, do you in fact own it?

If he's banned for life, anyway, what motive is there for him to pay this fine?

Going forward, will players who say sexist or homophobic things face a lifetime ban?

It's what Mark Cuban noted as a slippery slope, but I do think that Silver will get the 3/4 vote to oust Sterling. It would be financial suicide for them not to (Hey! That's the owner to voted to keep Donald Sterling an owner!). I think that's good enough financial incentive to vote for an outster.

For all those commenting on how the lifetime ban would work on a still-owner, remember that even though he cannot attend games or even make financial decisions for players and coaches, he's still going to make money off of today's game against Golden State. It's still his coffers being filled as the fans buy the tickets and the merchindice. He's not going to be hurt financially by this move, as he took it from $15 million in 1983 to $750 million today. So while Silver can't hurt his pocketbook ($2.5 million dollars is a parking ticket for him), he can hurt his ability to peform the actions that an owner can perform for his team. He's still making the money as the owner, but that's it.

Around the Network

Still being the technical owner, can he dissolve the team if he chooses?

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Samus Aran said:

NBA: you can take all the dangerous doping you want, but if you make a racial comment you're banned for life!

American sport is such a joke.

Note: I do not condone racism (in fact, I write my thesis on racism in antiquity), but this is blatant hypocrisy.

Doping does not cause players, coaches and most important fans to go nuts and not support your organization.  Its a money thing.  There is no way the NBA could take a punch in the face like this without doing something harsh.  Its the type of thing that could escalulate into all type of crap including lawsuits that would drag the league in to areas they do not want to go.  Losing your fanbase over something like this is not an option for the NBA and league.

Samus Aran said:

NBA: you can take all the dangerous doping you want, but if you make a racial comment you're banned for life!

American sport is such a joke.

Note: I do not condone racism (in fact, I write my thesis on racism in antiquity), but this is blatant hypocrisy.

I think you need to brush up on the NBA's drug policies its stricter then most other leagues.  Also doping really doesn't work for basketball you don't really have to be big and strong to excel in basketball.  Overall I think you are pretty clueless when it comes to basketball going by your statement.

spurgeonryan said:
For racial comments to his girlfriend that has nothing to do with Basketball? Was he at least in a Arena when he said it?
It is a horrible thing, but why does this affect his Basketball affiliation?

Did you read the OP?

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
For racial comments to his girlfriend that has nothing to do with Basketball? Was he at least in a Arena when he said it?

Dude has a slave owers mentallity that doesn't work in a leauge that is over 70% African American.  Also a lot of his comments actually where related to basketball I guess you didn't listen to all of his comments.

Good. Racism should have died a very long time ago. Unfortunately it still exist... good to see they went with the extreme punishment.

Praise the One.

spurgeonryan said:

Maybe because it became public and is basically all the media has talked about ever since?

spurgeonryan said:

Because the NBA is a buisness and this is big news and is going to make them look bad if they don't do something. It's going to turn it into an even bigger deal if they don't do anything as more people will complain.

Not to mention what African-American is going to want to play for that team anymore seriously some of these guys have kids and I know I wouldn't want my son/daughter knowing I'm involved with someone like this.

I really don't see how anyone is surprised by this. Do people really want people like this to have absolutely no repcussions in a situation like this? Is that the kind of example we want to send out the younger generation. I'm all for freedom of speech but this idea that we should just allow people to spread hate like this is ridiculous. I know it's a fine line to walk and people don't want to do it because of what it could lead to  but we need to walk the line otherwise nothing is ever going to change.

Racist cunts annoy me :/