By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - NBA bans Donald Sterling for life, fines him $2.5 million

Wagram said:
As part of the ban, Sterling is not allowed "to attend any NBA games or practices, be present at any Clippers office or facility, or participate in any business or player personnel decisions involving the team."

Is that even legal? He's the owner.

well, i own my condo but i have a lot of rules enforced by the condo association by which i am legally obligated to comply.

...but i have a feeling sterling will challenge this in the courts.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Well, that's interesting...

If you can be suspended from owning something, do you in fact own it?

If he's banned for life, anyway, what motive is there for him to pay this fine?

Going forward, will players who say sexist or homophobic things face a lifetime ban?

They won't. They'll be fined and suspended. Hard to keep the guy running a company that employees 80% minority workers though. If he'd have stayed the Clippers would be finished.

NBA: you can take all the dangerous doping you want, but if you make a racial comment you're banned for life!

American sport is such a joke.

Note: I do not condone racism (in fact, I write my thesis on racism in antiquity), but this is blatant hypocrisy.

Yet again are the people ganging up against the racist minorities.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

So he's going to make a billion dollars from this incident. Justice is served.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

NBA: you can take all the dangerous doping you want, but if you make a racial comment you're banned for life!

Note: I do condone racism (in fact, I write my thesis on racism in antiquity), but this is blatant hypocrisy.

You do condone racism? Anyway, NBA players do get fined and suspended for drug use. But how was Sterling going to return from a suspension and own a team that employs 13 of 15 black players? None of them would play for him. 

Fusioncode said:

How's he going to do that? But you're right if he does. You're richer from him being richer. 

HipHopGodd said:
Samus Aran said:

Note: I do condone racism (in fact, I write my thesis on racism in antiquity), but this is blatant hypocrisy.

You do condone racism? Anyway, NBA players do get fined and suspended for drug use. But how was Sterling going to return from a suspension and own a team that employs 13 of 15 black players? None of them would play for him. 

I do not condone racism, accidently left out the "not". 

NBA's anti-doping testing is a big joke. You cannot fine and suspend when you fail to catch them. Even in cycling, which has one of the most strict anti-doping testing in any professional sport, many cyclists to this day still continue to evade doping tests. Aicar is a drug that makes you lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Perfect for a sport like basketball or cycling (and many others). But as of now, there's no tests to detect it. 

HipHopGodd said:
Fusioncode said:

How's he going to do that? But you're right if he does. You're richer from him being richer. 

They're forcing him to sell the Clippers. Apparantly some people are offering 1b+ for it. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Samus Aran said:

Soccer is a bigger joke.

If you dope in American Sports you're basically done. Do you watch Baseball or NFL?