By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - NBA bans Donald Sterling for life, fines him $2.5 million

It's pretty hard for a team to go out of buisness if there are cities that don't have a team and want one and many other cities that have the a big enough population base to that they should have a team.  In the NBA Seatle wants another team Newark wouldn't mind another team either and there are more then half a dozen other cities that have a big enough poplation that they could have a team.

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Man, I don't like the whole thing. Seemed like everyone involved was trying to save face including the likes of the NAACP (who was about to give him a lifetime achievement award btw...shows how much money can buy). He just had to fall on the sword now when his comments didn't actually directly harm anyone vs when his actions actually did in the past and it was ignored. Only when it was bad for business did the moral police rush out.

IMO, best solution would be to let him keep the Clippers and instead offer the players the opportunity to be free agents. That way, if everyone actually leaves he gets a paperweight for a team and loses money. The way Silver went, Sterling actually makes money. If he ends up selling for $600m plus. What's a 2.5m fine? I guess the NBA doesn't want one of their teams to go defunct but who knows, for the right amount of cash, some players would probably still stay.

He'll get a paperweight of a team anyway if they can't force him out. Advertisers are going to bolt for the hills, even if this may not affect players or ticket sales.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Pristine20 said:
Man, I don't like the whole thing. Seemed like everyone involved was trying to save face including the likes of the NAACP (who was about to give him a lifetime achievement award btw...shows how much money can buy). He just had to fall on the sword now when his comments didn't actually directly harm anyone vs when his actions actually did in the past and it was ignored. Only when it was bad for business did the moral police rush out.

IMO, best solution would be to let him keep the Clippers and instead offer the players the opportunity to be free agents. That way, if everyone actually leaves he gets a paperweight for a team and loses money. The way Silver went, Sterling actually makes money. If he ends up selling for $600m plus. What's a 2.5m fine? I guess the NBA doesn't want one of their teams to go defunct but who knows, for the right amount of cash, some players would probably still stay.

He'll get a paperweight of a team anyway if they can't force him out. Advertisers are going to bolt for the hills, even if this may not affect players or ticket sales.

Thing is, if he sells now, he makes a profit because the team keeps his value. What you're saying only applies if he refuses to sell and I think he'd be really stupid to refuse but who knows, he seems to be suffering from dementia anyway.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Way to hash the fine is good enough.they should not force him to sell the team. I though his G/f is half black. She is a gold digger u see her lol and u see him he looks like chop meat lol

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Kasz216 said:

The suspension isn't the part he can't really challenge in court. Now the forced selling of the team they are going to vote for... that one he could challenge pretty effectively because they'll have to prove that his racism hurt the entire league and not just the clippers.

He can probably win that one too.

I think however they're just hoping he'll take his billion and not fight it.  In the worst case though they can point and say "we tried to get rid of him".

Did you see that the NBA released it's previously 'secret' constitution/bylaws?  Two exerpts of note:

Article 24(I)

"The Commissioner shall, wherever there is a rule for which no penalty is specifically fixed for violation thereof, have the authority to fix such penalty as in the Commissioner's judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. Where a situation arises which is not covered in the Constitution and By-Laws, the Commissioner shall have the authority to make such decision, including the imposition of a penalty, as in his judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. The penalty that may be assessed under the preceding two sentences may include, without limitation, a fine, suspension, and/or the forfeiture or assignment of draft choices. No monetary penalty fixed under this provision shall exceed $2,500,000."

And article 13(a):

"The Membership of a Member or the interest of any Owner may be terminated by a vote of three fourths (3/4) of the Board of Governors if the Member or Owner shall do or suffer any of the following:

(a) Willfully violate any of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws, resolutions, or agreements of the Association."

aAnd apparently, if he doesn't pay the 2.5 mil fine w/in 30 days, that's also a violation of the constitution.  So, do you think that pretty much gives the league the upper hand in any court case?

Around the Network

The decision was pretty much a financial one for the NBA... Too much money to lose.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

He has owned the team for like 30 years. This isn't exactly new information, just now really public.

There are many horrible people in the NBA.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

J_Allard said:
I hope he sues the NBA and wins.

He is a racist piece of shit, but there is something wrong imho when a mans private conversation can be recorded and sold for profit and his private beliefs and comments can be used to basically make him give up his property. What he said was deplorable, but he believed he was having a private conversation. He didn't post this on Twitter, he didn't get drunk and tell it to a bunch of reporters in a hotel bar.

I completely agree with you here

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

The team's dead if he stays, or at least I'd goddam hope so.
What players or advertisers with a shred of integrity or desire for good self image would stay with his team? Only those that have no shot at all anywhere else.

Pristine20 said:

It is as funny as it is sickening. When he was fined for refusing to rent to black tenants because they "stink and attract vermin", the NBA didn't give a fuck, the players didn't give a fuck, and the NAACP definitely didn't give a fuck. But when he's caught asking his girlfriend not to take pictures with Magic Johnson, well, that's a national crisis.