By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Project Cars vs Real Life, whose graphics are better?

SvennoJ said:
JEMC said:
SvennoJ said

Draw distance is lacking in real life :p Bad camera, the sky doens't turn all white in real life like that.

Fog is something very common in Laguna Seca, and that's what happens in a foggy day.

It does happen, it's pretty uniformely grey here today. Yet in the video you see cloud definition coming through now and then in an irregular way. It mostly looks like a camera issue not being able to pick up the details in the brighter sky due to a small contrast range.

It would be nice if videogames stopped emulating this camera deficiency and focus on making it look like real life.

I don't know, where I grew up fog was something very common during winter and you could even see that it wasn't uniform and had some "clouds" in it.

And I also hope that lightning and the general presentation becomes more realistic in some genres like racing or flight sims/arcades (I'd love a proper Ace Combat where planes, ground and sky look real), but I don't think we'll get that anytime soon. Maybe with ray tracing.

With that said, I don't want that realism on other genres.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Just watched that in 1080p... weird

Some aspects look incredible, track for instance, best I have seen on anything by a distance... others aspects look pretty average imo. Hard to put my finger on what it is.

I hear you, Its like GT5 only less pronounced, you play GT5 and its like "wow the premium cars are lovely" then you look at the track and its like they just gave up from behind too exhausted on the car modelling, for me the issue here is that the surface of the track seems far too exaggerated beyond the tarmac only has sporadic key visual keys thrown in from the real track where everything else seems to be filler, it retains a clinical sheen to it that robs it of a soul.

The lack of belieable skid patterning also detracts from it, as if they went the extra mile to add them in, where they are on the real track it would aid more experienced drivers and break up the otherwise continuous surface appearance.

1:58 is a perfect example of overdetailing too, the contrasts in real world materials make the scope and scale of the track feel much nicer where the harsher coloring on the game constrain and distort it, the size and contrast of the surrounding building and the addition of a crapload of extra trees also effects the sense of scale, too.

The reflections are way, way too exaggerated, too, feels like hes driving around in a chrome teapot.

Btw, do we know if the sound is from the real lap or from the game? I think it sounds very good, specially the exhaust when reducing.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
SvennoJ said:

It does happen, it's pretty uniformely grey here today. Yet in the video you see cloud definition coming through now and then in an irregular way. It mostly looks like a camera issue not being able to pick up the details in the brighter sky due to a small contrast range.

It would be nice if videogames stopped emulating this camera deficiency and focus on making it look like real life.

I don't know, where I grew up fog was something very common during winter and you could even see that it wasn't uniform and had some "clouds" in it.

And I also hope that lightning and the general presentation becomes more realistic in some genres like racing or flight sims/arcades (I'd love a proper Ace Combat where planes, ground and sky look real), but I don't think we'll get that anytime soon. Maybe with ray tracing.

With that said, I don't want that realism on other genres.

The quality is too crappy to see any fog clouds, it would be cool to have that in games though. Looks surreal driving through them, same with driving at night while it's snowing, or snow blowing over the road during the day.

I wouldn't mind ray tracing in all genres, realistic lighting always helps. Artwork and physics can still be as creative as ever. Ray tracing for all lights, shadows and reflections is still a long way off, so for now we're stuck with emulating crappy handheld digital cameras to trick you into believing it's getting close to real life.

A game that uses actual HDR lighting would be cool too. http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/03/10/35-fantastic-hdr-pictures/
or simply google HDR, enough with the lens flares, dof effects, and limited contrast range. Some of those shots look close to concept art. Why do all games shy away from achieving that look nowadays and simulate a small dynamic range instead.

The LAGUNA video reminds me. Can anyone explain to me why Polyphony are the only devs to get Laguna so wrong all the time?

They fill it with green. Why?

Around the Network

Only down side to the game is that most tracks will use generic names because they can't afford the license for the real tracks and the limited selection of cars (less then 100).

Chris Hu said:
Only down side to the game is that most tracks will use generic names because they can't afford the license for the real tracks and the limited selection of cars (less then 100).

Track names are irrelevent, but 100 cars seriosuly...... this thing will bomb with that meek a line up.

BeElite said:
Chris Hu said:

Track names are irrelevent, but 100 cars seriosuly...... this thing will bomb with that meek a line up.

It still has a good vartiety of cars I hope it doesn't bomb so that the second game can have a lot more cars.  One cool car the game has is the 2015 Mustang and a major manfacturer missing is Chevrolet.

Chris Hu said:
BeElite said:
Chris Hu said:

It still has a good vartiety of cars I hope it doesn't bomb so that the second game can have a lot more cars.  One cool car the game has is the 2015 Mustang and a major manfacturer missing is Chevrolet.

With out a supra theres no point for me buying it, lot of car dudes will feel same if their car is missing.  Hope it does well across the 4 platforms but damn it will be hard. 

Yeah unforunately it will not have any Supra's either but I still think it has pretty decent roster.  I will probably give it a try.  It also has two cool racing Renaults the 1978 Alpine A442B and the 2013 Alpine A450 and it looks like it will have decent selection of open wheel cars.