By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 estimated to sell 17 million & XB1 10 million by the end of 2014

Aura7541 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
I'd previously gone for an outrageous punt and said over 20 million for the PS4, but I'll give a more realistic estimation here:

PS4: 18.5m
XB1: 12m

Prediction for the X1 is too optimistic in my opinion. Its sales supposedly fell off a cliff in April and due to lacking games until the holidays, the X1 is going to have a brutal summer as BenV said.

I'm betting on a Kinectless bundle around Christmas.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Aura7541 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
I'd previously gone for an outrageous punt and said over 20 million for the PS4, but I'll give a more realistic estimation here:

Prediction for the X1 is too optimistic in my opinion. Its sales supposedly fell off a cliff in April and due to lacking games until the holidays, the X1 is going to have a brutal summer as BenV said.

Ahh, I see.  A Kinectless bundle is very possible though I feel that MS is still too stubborn to admit its lack of practicality. Also, much of the functionality of the X1 is dependent on the Kinect so MS needs to release a major update in order to fix that.

Aura7541 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Aura7541 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Ahh, I see.  A Kinectless bundle is very possible though I feel that MS is still too stubborn to admit its lack of practicality. Also, much of the functionality of the X1 is dependent on the Kinect so MS needs to release a major update in order to fix that.

I am a bit ignorant about the excat functionality of the Kinect and a little confused about what functionality is handled by the microphone (audio recognition) or the Kinect. Could you enlighten me about what exactly will be missing without the Kinect?

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

freedquaker said:
Aura7541 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I am a bit ignorant about the excat functionality of the Kinect and a little confused about what functionality is handled by the microphone (audio recognition) or the Kinect. Could you enlighten me about what exactly will be missing without the Kinect?

If you unplug the Kinect, the X1 will constantly have the message "Kinect is unplugged" on the upper right corner. It'll only temporarily disappear when you play games. It is easier to snap apps and record gameplay with the Kinect than through the controller, especially when you record gameplay.

Aura7541 said:
freedquaker said:
Aura7541 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

If you unplug the Kinect, the X1 will constantly have the message "Kinect is unplugged" on the upper right corner. It'll only temporarily disappear when you play games. It is easier to snap apps and record gameplay with the Kinect than through the controller, especially when you record gameplay.

So basically, other than the Kinect based games, and the kind of supercificial futuristic feel of a next-gen console, Kinect is non-essential, and can easily be unbundled without much recess of the console's functionality. On Microsoft's behalf, this is either some sort of a gimmick or half-baked iteration (due to heavy MS bureaucracy) to differentiate from the previous generation and the competition. Otherwise, we would see a lot more focus on Kinect so far. The point here is though, if MS unbundles the kinect,

a) There will be repercussions from the early adopters and degradation on Xbox's brand name

b) There will be hardly anything to distinguish it from PS4

c) There will be absolutely nothing to justify the price premium, therefore it will have to be priced at $399 or below

d) Dropping kinect and price means the admission of defeat, which has highly negative reverbarations...

So in the short term, this is a definite blow to Microsoft and Xbox. In the long run, however, people are forgetful and forgiving. If unbundling Kinect makes a lower price possible, then it will definitely benefit the XB1 sales in the long run provided it's price significantly lower than PS4 (by $50-$100). This will ensure close competition in English speaking countries. There isn't much MS can do elsewhere, regardless.

And also the sooner the better for dropping the Kinect, it may be too late otherwise.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network
freedquaker said:
Nem said:

I do think those predictions are overly optimistic.

The PS4 is likely to sell another 6 to 8 million this year and the X1 another 2 to 3 millions at the current paces assuming a slow summer and better holidays. I really dont see where the optimistic numbers are coming from. It would require gigantic holiday sales, when both systems wont have more than one or two exclusives.

You say the predictions are overly optimistic yet your estimations are very close to the given range.

Current + Your estimates for the rest of the year

PS4 : 7.2 + 6 to 8 = 13.2 to 15.2  (the estimate is 15.3 to 17.5)

XB1 : 4.4 + 2 to 3 = 6.4 to 7.4 (the estimate is 8.1 to 10.5)

add them some Xmas boost, and you're right within the range! Again do not necessarily read it like the upper bound, on the contrary the lowerbound (15.3 for PS4 and 8.1 for XB1) is also as likely. Just pick whichever makes sense to you.

I guess this is about the concept of "overly". For me, it means too optimistic. If it still bothers you, pretend i only said optimistic. What i mean is that i consider the numbers to be above what i would expect the systems to sell.