By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Wii U will be discontinued by 2015

yeah the new console will be name...

Wii F U

Around the Network

The Wii U will make a surprise come back and hold onto second place in the 8th generation console sales wars. Wii U will be profitable. Wii U has good exclusive first party games that will push sales.

reggin_bolas said:
AnthonyW86 said:

I actually wanted to make the same thread. By the end of 2015 all major titles will have launched, and third party support we be all but non existened. Nintendo will probably launch one new system in 2016 to replace both 3DS and Wii-U.

Even if its not formerly discontinued, the Wii-U will be dead by the end of 2015. And Nintendo is not going to put effort in developing new games for it.

I don't thimk the system not passing 9 million by the end of the year is that bold a statement either. I definitely do not expect it to pass the 10 million mark this year, unless they announce a huge price cut. 

A most sensible reply. But I honestly don't think a price cut is the saving grace. Just like the "MK8 & Smash evangelists" are hopelessly clinging to past heavy hitters. The bottom line is this: no one wants the Wii U. There's just too many factors weighing it down. 

I'd wager 90% of its owners are die-hard Nintendo fans. The rest is split between casual families and other hardcore gamers (those who own a PS3/PS4 or 360/X1). You can only milk your own fanbase for so long. At some point you need other diverse groups of consumers to pick up the pace. 

Absolutely, that's why i think Nintendo will only launch one system next and try and "fuse" their markets together. It's a much more efficient approach and will ensure better software support, though with one major risk: If that one system fails that means a completely failed generation.

And i'm not expecting price cuts to save the Wii-U either, but that would mean sales are more likely to pass a certain mark this year. I do expect massive price cuts next year when all their major titles have launched.

Some people here also seem to forget that developers are switching to new and heavier game engines fast, engines that the Wii-U doesn't have enough power to handle. Once the support for ps3/x360 dries up any remaining support the Wii-U might have from third parties will stop aswell. That means no new games and reason for people to buy the system.

With the recent announcement of Nintendo's financial forecast it looks like this thread is becoming relevant. My predictions are gaining ground.

Even if they don't discontinue it officially it will be dead at the end of next year.

Around the Network

LOL this thread has the potential to be a goldmine if the wii u is discontinued. Just the first page will be hilarious if it happens.

I still proclaim that Nintendo will reveal its next console in 2015 for a 2016 launch.

I believe the naysayers must think about their posts before doing it. These bold predictions seems reasonable, maybe the 2015 seems a little too soon but could happen. I'm still with you in the Zelda part.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Really guys? The recent investor meeting has Iwata talking about not discontinuing the Wii U anytime soon. Here's a tweet from David Gibson, straight from the investor meeting:

Iwata: not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new, but until existing users are satisfied, we cannot release next hardware

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-investor-briefing-5714/

HylianSwordsman said:
Really guys? The recent investor meeting has Iwata talking about not discontinuing the Wii U anytime soon. Here's a tweet from David Gibson, straight from the investor meeting:

Iwata: not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new, but until existing users are satisfied, we cannot release next hardware

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-investor-briefing-5714/

To be fair the thread was made on April 23 and Iwata gave his statement 2 days ago so...