By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Wii U will be discontinued by 2015

TheGoldenBoy said:
HylianSwordsman said:
Really guys? The recent investor meeting has Iwata talking about not discontinuing the Wii U anytime soon. Here's a tweet from David Gibson, straight from the investor meeting:

Iwata: not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new, but until existing users are satisfied, we cannot release next hardware

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-investor-briefing-5714/

To be fair the thread was made on April 23 and Iwata gave his statement 2 days ago so...

I know, but there are posts made 2 days ago that still say that, so I was referring to those.

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
HylianSwordsman said:
Really guys? The recent investor meeting has Iwata talking about not discontinuing the Wii U anytime soon. Here's a tweet from David Gibson, straight from the investor meeting:

Iwata: not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new, but until existing users are satisfied, we cannot release next hardware

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-investor-briefing-5714/

To be fair the thread was made on April 23 and Iwata gave his statement 2 days ago so...

I know, but there are posts made 2 days ago that still say that, so I was referring to those.

Nevermind, I just saw that as well.

A new Nintendo console will be out by the end of 2016.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I don't think it'll be discontinued, you'll still be able to walk into a store and buy one and games through 2016, maybe even 2017.

But Nintendo will likely ramp down software support after 2015.

I think Nintendo's Fusion handheld/home hybrid will launch between Nov. 2015 and March 2016 and that will become their gaming focus from there on out.

Yep they will discontinue the WiiU and release a new more powerfull console that no one will buy because it's too expensive and still no 3rd- party support....

Around the Network

Nope, no way in 2015. The new console will be revealed in 2016, released in 2017.

There is just to much going on with the Wii U from end of 2014 to 2015, such as Zelda, Fatal Frame, X, Smash, Mighty No.9, The Human Element, Sonic Boom, th new nfg character game thing or whatever it is (details at E3), Fast Racing Neo, Project Cars, Watch Dogs, not to mention Miyamoto's new IP, the S.T.E.A.M. game and whatever is shown at E3. That's a pretty decent line up with more coming I can guarantee it, to say "Oh, here's a new system" as well.

Basically, not gonna happen.

No way in hell, they are making money on every sold Wii U, no matter if it doesn't sell greatly.

And most of the games that Nintendo makes (Pokemon, Mario franchise) sell like cupcakes.

The Wii U is here to stay.

TheDrill said:
No way in hell, they are making money on every sold Wii U, no matter if it doesn't sell greatly.

And most of the games that Nintendo makes (Pokemon, Mario franchise) sell like cupcakes.

The Wii U is here to stay.

Actually that was a bit of a misquote from Gibbogame (this is why its better to wait for the actual translated version). Iwata says they're not losing money on Wii U this fiscal year because they've basically manufactured most of the Wii Us that will be sold this fiscal year already (read: they manufactured a lot of systems last year and weren't able to sell them). 

That means the hardware losses on those systems were already accounted for in Nintendo's prior fiscal year. It doesn't mean the hardware is profitable or not now.

Iwata says new hardware is a few years away, so the bold prediction looks a little foolish now. Just need Mario Kart 8 and Smash to be a commercial success for a clean sweep :D

zippy said:
Iwata says new hardware is a few years away, so the bold prediction looks a little foolish now. Just need Mario Kart 8 and Smash to be a commercial success for a clean sweep :D

Actually it looks fairly spot on. Two years out is spring 2016, if Nintendo is launching their Fusion based platform then, it pretty much confirms that Wii U is probably has until fall 2015 until its "replaced" by Nintendo's future platform (which will also replace the 3DS).