By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Beginning of the end? GameStop to increase focus on phones, INSTEAD of games!

Nintentacle said:

It's over...

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

The company is certainly changing no doubt....

Good. Someone has to embrace the new gaming Master Race.

All of you doubters will on day accept it instead of fighting an impossible fight.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

darkknightkryta said:
Smart idea, games are very low margin.

New games, anyway.

But it's not smart in the sense that the phone market is a red ocean just swarming in the blood of desperate retailers. Everyone's trying to hop on that star.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Online only retailers were always gonna come out on top... whereas gamestop have to waste money on staff.
When gamestop staff find other jobs, they will think back to the easy times of working at a games shop lol.

Around the Network

You guys realky do have no idea how much business we do in pre owned tablets and phones do you.

Here's a hint. It's a staggering amount

rolltide101x said:
You guys worry to much. Gamestop has been selling Phones for ages.

It's weird I had no idea the even sold phones.

BenVTrigger said:
You guys realky do have no idea how much business we do in pre owned tablets and phones do you.

No worries Ben. They will all soon acknowledge that tablets and phones are where handheld gaming is ultimately going to go.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

BenVTrigger said:

I worked with y'all Christmas 2012 when this was just starting out, and did see a fair few trade-ins. Not so much in the way of sales, though. Haven't really spent much time in the stores since (pop in, buy games, pop out).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
BenVTrigger said:

I worked with y'all Christmas 2012 when this was just starting out, and did see a fair few trade-ins. Not so much in the way of sales, though. Haven't really spent much time in the stores since (pop in, buy games, pop out).

Yeah that sounds right. 2012 was really just the ramp up and introduction. 2013 was a massive year in recommerce for us. Honestly it saved the year for us in terms of profit with last gen console software showing a much steeper drop off than anticipated.

Personally Im not lets say.....how should i word this.....not thrilled to work with phones and tablets. That being said it is a huge area of profit and revenue growth and is a very important part of our business