By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Beginning of the end? GameStop to increase focus on phones, INSTEAD of games!

http://www.shacknews.com/article/84208/gamestop-to-increase-focus-on-phones-tablets-instead-of-video

Say whatever you want about GameStop, but they're probably the biggest gaming retailer in US. I wouldn't make this thread if it was some dumb analyst, or another media ignorant that wants a clickbait thread (actually, I'm somewhat like that =0 ) but we're talking about a retailer of this industry. If they leave focus from what we call "hardcore" gaming, bad times are ahead of us... 

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

well with digital sales on the rise its smart for them to think outside of the box and find new ways to expand their business and stay equitable

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Smart idea, games are very low margin.

`This is a sad day.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

We've seen this time and time again. This is going to flop and they'll come running back to core gamers. Casuals are too unpredictable. The core gamers are the only ones you can depend on.

Around the Network

Hmmm, interesting... Don't we have enough stores that sell phones though? Like walmart, futureshop and etc already sells phones and we have a shit ton of stores that are mainly focused on phones so I doubt this will turn out as good as they expect since its already pretty competitive... But we will see... This is clearly the direct result of pushing for digital only content so idk if they have that much of a choice

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

You guys worry to much. Gamestop has been selling Phones for ages.

how about buy gamespot? Whenever I try to go to gamestop I sometimes mess up and type in gamestop.

They're simply trying to grow their other businesses. Why wouldn't they? They've pretty much reached capacity in the video-game market.

pokoko said:
They're simply trying to grow their other businesses. Why wouldn't they? They've pretty much reached capacity in the video-game market.

But why close some stores? I get the idea of expanding, but by closing other stores their losing more.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988