By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can PS4 Beat 360's Record in NPD?

Doubt it, a halo reléase or a massive price cut should end the winning streak, if neither of them do it, nothing will.

Around the Network

One big game e.g. A, will save the B.
A - Popular/System Selling/My Favorite/Hyped game
B - Console being saved.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

What I wanna know is how the hell did PS1 or 2 not get at least 3 years straight?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Sagemode87 said:
People do realize that PS2 outsold Xbox in the states right? Last gen doesn't dictate this gen. Otherwise PS3 would've slaughtered the competition right? Please stop saying US is Xbox land, clearly it's not right now.

It's not about outselling the xbone it's about doing it 32 months straight , the PS4 could  theoreticaly dominate  by winning over a  8 year period ,  93 out of 96 months and still not achieve the streak.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

ethomaz said:
bevochan said:
PS4 should win every month until Halo 5 is released. I'm guessing Xbox1 could win 1 month then....

This is a good point but I think Sony will release some big game in holidays too (I guess Halo 5 will be launched in holidays like every other interaction).

Only way PS4 can beat the One is if they launch Uncharted 4 in the same month..which looks pretty unlikley. But Uncharted 4 can easily pull over way over a 1 million in its first month and if it gets the same acclaim as TLOU it can maybe pull of 2m. 

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
What I wanna know is how the hell did PS1 or 2 not get at least 3 years straight?

I don't remember... so I just used the data we have about the last gen.

platformmaster918 said:

From the data I have, the PS2 had at least 29 consecutive months.  From November 2001 through March 2004.  In April Microsoft cut the Xbox price to $149 which pushed it ahead.  Odds are pretty good that the PS2 was outselling the Dreamcast and previous gen prior to November 2001, so it probably holds the record (or at least beats the 360).  NES would hold the overall record I'd imagine. 

KBG29 said:
Microsoft will have to make some major moves to stop this from happening. If they don't unbundle Kinect this year I think they will become irrelevent.

Once PS Now and Sony's cloud TV service hit this year, I think they will gain a solid hold on the US.

Did you really say Microsoft would become irrelevant in gaming if they don't take away Kinect? C'mon bro. This is MICROSOFT. It'll take them years upon years (decades even) of failure to begin to become irrelevant. Just because Xbox One isn't selling as quickly doesn't mean it's selling "badly". Its outselling 360, and isn't doing nearly as bad as PS3 did last gen.

Plus, PS Now and the Cloud TV isn't anything most general Americans know, or even care about. In the end its about games and what featueres comes built with your console. I don't see many Americans caring about renting old games. 

Overall, with Microsoft pushing mainstream features, and AAA titles with new IP's, Microsoft will be fine. I'd see it outselling PS4 this winter. 

I don't see that happening, unless Xbox One is still $500 3 years from now.

BraLoD said:
Probably not, it's Xbox home.
How about the winning streak that Sony have in Japan over the Microsoft? I guess it didn't lose a single week since Microsoft tried the market there (Feb 22, 2002, with the original Xbox, as listed on wikipedia).
So, over 12 years winning every single week there, probably.
4444 days (man, what a coincidence, convenient number os days, PS4 is everywhere).
634,86 weeks winning streak (tomorrow will hit 635 full weeks).
Probably, or some Microsoft console really sold more than one from Sony in a week there?

you are forgetting nintendo, so no chance Sony winning every month in Japan over 12 years.