By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can PS4 Beat 360's Record in NPD?

I dont think so. It is almost 3 years. If you chose any other country than the US and UK. Then yes undoubtedly.

Around the Network
uptownsoul said:
Remember 3 things that helped 360 in the NPD's…1) it had nov 2005 - oct 2006 to itself, 2) North America is firmly Xbox territory, and 3) it was priced way better than 1 of it's 2 competitors

This go round, it doesn't have a year to itself, and it's price is the worst of the 3. So only 1 of the 3 advantages carry over from 360 to Xbox One.

The 360 streak was from mid 2010 (thanks to Kinect) until last september when GTA V was heavely bundled with PS3.

uptownsoul said:
Remember 3 things that helped 360 in the NPD's…1) it had nov 2005 - oct 2006 to itself, 2) North America is firmly Xbox territory, and 3) it was priced way better than 1 of it's 2 competitors

This go round, it doesn't have a year to itself, and it's price is the worst of the 3. So only 1 of the 3 advantages carry over from 360 to Xbox One.

Their massive NPD winning streak started after the PS3 launched. Heck, even point #3 is questionable as the 360 maintained the streak up until recently (after countless PS3 redesigns and competetive pricing).

kupomogli said:
I think the PS4 will sell better in the US, but every time a new Halo releases I think Xbox One will sell better than the PS4, so 32 months may be impossible.

I would have agreed with this sentiment had it not been for TF.  Now I'm really not sure if MS has anything to dig themselves out of this hole.  Halo helped alot when they had a price and userbase advantage. Now that they have neither... I'm not so sure it will be nearly as effective.  

dyremose said:
I dont think so. It is almost 3 years. If you chose any other country than the US and UK. Then yes undoubtedly.

Japan too.

Doubtful. The XBO will win a few months before then. The Wii U could sneak in a win as well. (Anything is possible)

Around the Network
nitekrawler1285 said:
kupomogli said:
I think the PS4 will sell better in the US, but every time a new Halo releases I think Xbox One will sell better than the PS4, so 32 months may be impossible.

I would have agreed with this sentiment had it not been for TF.  Now I'm really not sure if MS has anything to dig themselves out of this hole.  Halo helped alot when they had a price and userbase advantage. Now that they have neither... I'm not so sure it will be nearly as effective.  

Realistically speaking TF is a new IP that carried the burden of being ONLINE ONLY. Lets not forget those distinctions. Halo and Gears of War with competetive pricing should not be underestimated.

easy now.

wording choosen carefully because upon necro i can pick either meaning of the phrase as it suits my needs.  :P

It would be certainly a feat for them. If I had to make a prediction, I'd have to say it would be after an x1 price drop, and after a halo release. Sony would have to be rolling out the exclusives though, and have a slight price drop of its own. Maybe 1 year and a half down the road Sony could pick up it's first month of a consecutive 32. Though I'd think it's more likely something 3-4 years down the road when x1 really starts to taper off.

MaulerX said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
kupomogli said:

Realistically speaking TF is a new IP that carried the burden of being ONLINE ONLY. Lets not forget those distinctions. Halo and Gears of War with competetive pricing should not be underestimated.

TF has been heavily advertised, has developer pedigree, and the console was more competively priced during it's debut. Online is the big draw for the game.  I bet CoD could even get away with no campaign.  It's not even the first disc anymore. 

It will be 18 months before we see either of those games.  By the time they hit the market if sales remain constant then x1 will have a completely backwards position compared to the 360 when it got those games.  It will be the console with the smaller userbase and higher price.  

I don't think I'm underestimating the games so much as  recognizing that the context in which they appear this time will be vastly different. It might be like MK did 34.43 million on Wii but MK8 isn't going to be anywhere near that.    

No of course it won't, not sure why you're expecting this sort of domination in the US. It barely won February, it didn't win November by a landslide amount either.

The only month it's been a huge win is January.