By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Japan and Zelda not mix?

I can not answer. But I do know I bought a Wii U strictly because of Zelda Wind Waker HD and future Zelda's. I love Zelda..... lol

Around the Network

I don't know either.

It has been declining ever since the very first game. Ocarina of Time was the exception, but basically each new iteration on consoles sells less in Japan.

Twilight Princess, the highest selling world-wide, sold less in Japan than Majora's Mask, the lowest selling game on consoles worldwide. The abysmal performance of Wind Waker HD doesn't exactly bode well for the franchise over there, even if it's 'just' a remaster. The new game will struggle to reach Skyward Sword's bad sales there (but worldwide will probably be different).
On handhelds though, the sales are all over the place. Not much of a pattern to be found there. The DS games gave it a little boost though, they did well, but A Link Between Worlds is already failing again there.

I think the franchise is just too 'western', in themes, gameplay and presentation, for the Japanese.

S.Peelman said:

I don't know either.

It has been declining ever since the very first game. Ocarina of Time was the exception, but basically each new iteration on consoles sells less in Japan.

Twilight Princess, the highest selling world-wide, sold less in Japan than Majora's Mask, the lowest selling game on consoles worldwide. The abysmal performance of Wind Waker HD doesn't exactly bode well for the franchise over there, even if it's 'just' a remaster. The new game will struggle to reach Skyward Sword's bad sales there (but worldwide will probably be different).
On handhelds though, the sales are all over the place. Not much of a pattern to be found there. The DS games gave it a little boost though, they did well, but A Link Between Worlds is already failing again there.

I think the franchise is just too 'western', in themes, gameplay and presentation, for the Japanese.

Darker Zeldas tends to sell better than colorful ones

TP > SS

OoT/MM > TWW

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
S.Peelman said:

I don't know either.

Darker Zeldas tends to sell better than colorful ones

TP > SS

OoT/MM > TWW

In the rest of the world yes, but I'm not seeing this correlation for Japan as The Wind Waker outsold Twilight Princess there.

It also outsold Majora's Mask, which means I did made a mistake in my first post though when I said each new iteration sold less, but that isn't helping as MM is also one of the 'dark games'. We have dark games outselling colorful games and colorful games outselling dark games. Judging by the sales, it also has little to do with installed-base, otherwise SS and especially TP would've seen an increase again. Overall, it seemingly goes down without reason, regardless of anything.

It goes: LoZ (1.69) > AoL (1.61) > OoT (1.45) > ALttP (1.15) > WW (0.89) > MM (0.73) > TP (0.60) > SS (0.37).

JazzB1987 said:
Skidonti said:

Yes, I hear that's why Monster Hunter is so popular over there, Cobretti.
Anyways, this has been a concern of mine for a while, actually. And I've wondered if Nintendo will deal with it by trying to make Zelda more Japanese or by simply acknowleding it won't be a smash hit there and focusing on the west.

I hope they will never focus on the west.

The west is the downfall of gaming. Name a stupid business practice and it probably started in the west (day1 dlc, fees, DRM etc)

West is bad! Dont believe me? just look at this:

When the west starts pumping out barely legal underage courtship RPGs, notify me please.

Around the Network

I think Hyrule Warriors was a response to this to broaden the IP and make it cater more to Japanese taste.

I am very curious as to next main line console entry given how much they want to change it up from what I've read.

RolStoppable said:
Pavolink said:

So, do you believe a 3D Zelda in the same vein as Zelda NES and Zelda II would sell a lot?

I am not sure about "a lot", but it should do more than the current direction. The thing is, it is a problem that can't be reversed instantly. A Link Between Worlds was a step in the right direction, but Spirit Tracks (which landed in Japanese bargain bins in droves) has soured the reputation of the series.

Well, as a fan I'm with you. I'd like to see a 3D Zelda as the first games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

mii-gamer said:

They need to make Zelda look like this

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

not enough anime?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
not enough anime?

Zelda has been getting more animeish since OoT. I don't believe its the cause.