By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Japan and Zelda not mix?

Because its overrated

Started gaming on PS3 3/6/14 :)

Around the Network

Probably because most Japanese people like different genres (RPG, Rhytm, Dating sims) and there's not as much people there.

It never made the transition to 3d well in Japan. The old 2d games were huge there.

mii-gamer said:

They need to make Zelda look like this

Now there's an art style I can agree with. Screw artistic integrity.

Skidonti said:

Yes, I hear that's why Monster Hunter is so popular over there, Cobretti.
Anyways, this has been a concern of mine for a while, actually. And I've wondered if Nintendo will deal with it by trying to make Zelda more Japanese or by simply acknowleding it won't be a smash hit there and focusing on the west.

I hope they will never focus on the west.

The west is the downfall of gaming. Name a stupid business practice and it probably started in the west (day1 dlc, fees, DRM etc)

West is bad! Dont believe me? just look at this:

I mean seriously the west has some imaginary self-image and needs to protect its fake masculinity.

Link will probably be a 40 year old and look somewhat like this:

Around the Network

I blame Twilight Princess. Japan and Zelda got along just fine before that. It was an obvious attempt to cater to the Western market and they lost the Japanese market in the process.

Cobretti2 said:
because it isn't a game about an under aged girl in a school uniform

NO?

*cancels Ninty console and complete Zelda collection order*
*stops looking for console unlock and nude and sex mods on the net*

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

the_dengle said:
I blame Twilight Princess. Japan and Zelda got along just fine before that. It was an obvious attempt to cater to the Western market and they lost the Japanese market in the process.

I thought Twilight Princess was as close as can be to Occarina of Time!? Isn't that what everyone said?

Now all of a sudden it's not true anymore.

mii-gamer said:

They need to make Zelda look like this

Gosh.  3 hot girls and Link just says hyyyaaa!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

RolStoppable said:
superchunk said:
It was a Japanese million-plus seller in NES, SNES, and N64 days.

Exactly, so what changed? Somebody decided that Zelda was first and foremost about puzzles and the proposed solution to get Zelda sales back on track was more story. So the series ends up as something that people don't care about and isn't easy to fix.

What was Zelda about in the first place? Running around and slaying monsters. And lo and behold, Japanese tastes haven't changed. Running around, slaying monsters and getting more gear and equipment still works while people still don't care about puzzles.

So, do you believe a 3D Zelda in the same vein as Zelda NES and Zelda II would sell a lot?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile