By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Titanfall exclusivity proved to be (quite) pointless

Hype is a double edged sword.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Goatseye said:

Everybody is entitled to an opinion but that doesn't make their opinions correct by default.

I think you are confused here, not me buddy. He can hate Xbox all he wants, I'm not selling One.

Pun intended.

I never said his opinion was correct. I said an opinion is a personal view, that's it. No fact coming from Xbox One sales will convince him to get one.

I'm glad you're not selling a console. It's good that you enjoy it.

J_Allard said:
BillyBong said:

oh right.. so MS bought the exclusive just because.. had nothing to do with trying to push their hardware.  lol.. either titanfall pushed their hardware, which MS can comment about, or it didn't.. which seems to be the cause, because the PS4 still outsold XB1 in March.

Microsoft did comment on their hardware sales. In fact you can read their article on the March NPD right here. That's about as far as Microsoft can go. If EA doesn't want to reveal Titanfall numbers then why would MS reveal Titanfall numbers? It's a pretty simple question you're not providing an answer to.

BillyBong said:
  They gambled hoping that titanfall would sell the xb1.. hell, it was a common marketing scheme since the unveiling of Titanfall and that it was only on Xbox.  what other ammo did MS have against Sony?  fact of the matter is, for both MS and EA, they banked on Titanfall moving product, period.  If titanfall on xbox was a success, wouldn't you expect to hear something about it, especially after 2 months already?  MS would be making claims of "we sold so and so.." instead of "we shipped so and so..", "we've got 10 mil mintues logged in twitch..", "players have shot so and so bullets."  That's BS marketing spin to advertently dodge the real question... how much did Titanfall help push your product? 

So you're saying Titanfall didn't push consoles? Can I see your evidence?*
So you're saying EA isn't pleased with the Titanfall sales numbers? Can I see your evidence?*

Microsoft did provide those sort of statistics already this gen. With Dead Rising 3, and other games they published. You understand what a publisher is, yes?

BillyBong said:

Titanfall a success?  For Respawn definitely.  For EA, meh.  For MS.. no way jose.

LOL out of all of these people, why would EA be "meh"? They not only received money from MS for exclusive rights, but they saved money by not having to invest into development since MS stepped in and footed the bill there too. It was a complete win/win for EA from any logical point of view. Same with Respawn.

So you're saying Titanfall was a failure for Microsoft? Can I see your evidence?*

* - "LULZ PS4 outsold xbone in march!11" doesn't count as evidence. Hope that helps. I'll respond if you ever post anything that can be substantiated in any way and is derived from anything other than what you think might have happened or believe MS should be doing rather than what logic tells us EA and MS have done in the past.

Get off your high horse and face the facts.  EA is meh because they very could of made more off titanfall than what MS paid for exclusivity for all you know.. Nothing's been said because both EA and MS have said jack regarding actual sales figures.  Relying on vg and npd to validate Being vague in figures should be an indicator to their expectations.  Do you gloat loses too?  The swift response from EA on T2 not being exclusive for MS should be another indicator.. Tunnel vision much?

And how can titanfall not be a failure for ms?  I guess they are just fine with the promos and cuts made to push their system which still ended up selling less than their competitor.  Guess they are fine with their ace which was suppose to sell millions of hw only selling half of their exp ectations.  So what happened to the 1 mil preorder for xbone because of titanfall that was claimed?  Funny how looking at most of your post you have nothing substantial to input but try and defend the butthurt.  And yes.. Logic tells us if it smells like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.. Well guess what?  Its a duck.  Since when has any game company shy away from success,  especially MS?  1 year of hype til release and now 2 months of silence.  

So in your infinite knowledge of business and marketing.. I ask.. Was titanfall worth the exclusivity for both EA and MS.  If your answer is yes.. Guess I know who's been sleeping in econ 101.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

I guess it was you sleeping... if every business was making decisions on posters opinions from the all knowing internet, the businesses would be bankrupt. Not all things are as simple as common perceptions seem to be. Something you would have learned had you been awake.

It is near the end of the end....

Why is it always looked at as "bad" when Microsoft has an exclusive, and it's always harped on how they "bought it" as if it's somehow wrong or anti-consumer choice...

But whenever PS3 or PS4 have an exclusive, it's considered great, it's never acted as if Sony paid for it (even though they did), it's just like they must have donated it out of the goodness of their hearts, or because Sony is just so great, or because the Xbox One/Xbox 360 hardware sucks, etc etc.

I mean the last great example I can think of is I guess MGS4. Nobody hated that game because it was exclusive, it wasn't acted as if it was bad or Sony paid for it (but they did), it wasn't acted as if Sony was being anti-consumer, no it was looked on as wonderful.

Hell people practically cried themselves to death when it was announced FF13 WASNT PS3 exclusive, remember that? Further proving the double standard.

Anyways to the point. I feel like TF HAS boosted Xbox a lot, it's been bundled a lot, it's sold pretty well, it's probably sold a good amount of hardware. and it seems like a pretty fun game that a lot are enjoying. That's a success in my book. If you think software will ever beat hardware or price, you're just wrong. That's never happened in gaming history. So if you expected TF to suddenly make X1 sell better than PS4 despite costing $100 more, you were just wrong. But it helped and raised the X1 profile a lot. It probably outsold Infamous SS heavily as well (we know it was about 2:1 in the USA and UK).

Also just as a practical matter, MS had to have SOMETHING big for Spring 2014;. Sony had Infamous. MS had TF. Whether it was a 3rd party exclusive or a first party game doesn't really matter, just that each side had it's exclusive.

Also I'm sure it's been mentioned a lot, but didn't the documentary say TF was going to be canceled if Ms didn't fund it or whatever? TF wouldn't exist if MS didn't rescue it.

Around the Network

Splosion man and shadowcomplex are fairly old tbh, so your argument there falls short. I won't lie and say I own both like you claim of everyone apparently, but I will say this, I've owned consoles starting the Atari 2600 (my father has it now), and have gamed both on arcades, consoles, and pc's for as long as the 80's. M$ has definitely switched their focus drastically. Has there been a drought on both launches? Definitely. However, looking at the track record from Sony, M$, and Nintendo, I can tell you that M$'s focus is all over the place. Sony lost their way at beginning of last gen, but then the beauty started happening. From Demon's Souls (I have a platinum on it, look up Onikenshi), to Uncharted, The Last Of Us, GoW, Heavy Rain, KZ, Resistance, Ni No Kuni, etc, etc, etc, the hits have been coming back to back. M$ switched their focus on Kinect, then trying to grab the blue ocean like Nintendo did with the Wii albeit doing a mediocre job considering how much they have spent since the original failed xbox. Nintendo's strategy came to bite them in the ass this gen, but luckily they have the handheld market due to an early pricecut and advertisement of non glasses 3D device. 

Truth be told, all businesses are in it to make money, but it's all about how they approach it. Sony finally gained a sense of urgency due to all the losses incurred by the ps3 at the start of the gen. M$ rode high being early in the market by a year, but they still ended up LAST in the gen. Gamers know where the quality is. Sure, I spent many drinking nights with my best friend up till 6-7am EST playing Gears of War 1-2, but the hits have not been consistent, and the effort only diminished and was limited to certain franchises. On the PC I enjoyed the better versions of Crysis, L4D 1-2, Bastion, The Witcher, etc. It's sad when I see people in this site like Kowenicki and that other guy Allard, or w/e his name is, blindly praise M$ at every turn. It's like the D....k is good. Seriously, every company here f.....ed up big time and should be called out on it, but credit should be given where credit is due. Imagine if the PS4 would have had a YEAR head start, heck, M$ would have had to drop the xbone. I am not too happy with the drought on Sony's part, but I am glad KZ:SF has the support it should, despite the mediocre SP campaign, the MP is amazing. As for Nintendo....the 3DS undeservedly is keeping it afloat.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

fallen said:
Why is it always looked at as "bad" when Microsoft has an exclusive, and it's always harped on how they "bought it" as if it's somehow wrong or anti-consumer choice...

But whenever PS3 or PS4 have an exclusive, it's considered great, it's never acted as if Sony paid for it (even though they did), it's just like they must have donated it out of the goodness of their hearts, or because Sony is just so great, or because the Xbox One/Xbox 360 hardware sucks, etc etc.

I mean the last great example I can think of is I guess MGS4. Nobody hated that game because it was exclusive, it wasn't acted as if it was bad or Sony paid for it (but they did), it wasn't acted as if Sony was being anti-consumer, no it was looked on as wonderful.

Hell people practically cried themselves to death when it was announced FF13 WASNT PS3 exclusive, remember that? Further proving the double standard.

Anyways to the point. I feel like TF HAS boosted Xbox a lot, it's been bundled a lot, it's sold pretty well, it's probably sold a good amount of hardware. and it seems like a pretty fun game that a lot are enjoying. That's a success in my book. If you think software will ever beat hardware or price, you're just wrong. That's never happened in gaming history. So if you expected TF to suddenly make X1 sell better than PS4 despite costing $100 more, you were just wrong. But it helped and raised the X1 profile a lot. It probably outsold Infamous SS heavily as well (we know it was about 2:1 in the USA and UK).

Also just as a practical matter, MS had to have SOMETHING big for Spring 2014;. Sony had Infamous. MS had TF. Whether it was a 3rd party exclusive or a first party game doesn't really matter, just that each side had it's exclusive.

Also I'm sure it's been mentioned a lot, but didn't the documentary say TF was going to be canceled if Ms didn't fund it or whatever? TF wouldn't exist if MS didn't rescue it.

The reason why people respond negatively to MS is because they probably dont trust the source or mode of how MS gets their exclusives. With Sony and Nintendo you know you're getting a wealth of games from quite a few proven studios in their arsenal. With Nintendo, you know they are going outside of their territory because first party isnt their strong suit. Another reason is because they suck they pay to keep games away from their competition too many times. Its like it was just a few games, they get desperate and in the end its just bad for gamers all around. Of course Xbox only gamers will never admit this but there are some games that do need to be multiplat. Their companies need the profits.

Titanfall is probably the highest hyped game I can recall that had such an insignificant impact on the market.

J_Allard said:
wary-wallaroo said:
Goatseye said:
wary-wallaroo said:

Indeed and I'm honestly very glad it failed to do what MS wanted. I'm also glad EA ended up screwed over on what would have no doubt been higher PS4 sales. Hopefully it sends a message that BS money batted exclusives won't fly.

I bet you don't care that Sony moneyhatted Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls.

Except they didn't. They funded those two games similar to how MS funded DR3/SO/QB or Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2. Those are the good kinda of exclusives 

You realize Respawn was out of money and MS helped to fund them so they didn't need to sell the IP to EA, yes? Try reading up on The Final Hours of Titanfall. Not only is it a great read and a good insight in the industry, but it will help you not make more foolish looking mistakes like this.

This is the problem when fanboys make foolish statements.  For one thing,  they blindly wish the competition fails without understanding the repercussions to the industry and the consumer.  Furthermore,  they dont research their facts before making claims. Claims are usually just based on hate for the competition.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

S.T.A.G.E. said:
fallen said:

The reason why people respond negatively to MS is because they probably dont trust the source or mode of how MS gets their exclusives. With Sony and Nintendo you know you're getting a wealth of games from quite a few proven studios in their arsenal. With Nintendo, you know they are going outside of their territory because first party isnt their strong suit. Another reason is because they suck they pay to keep games away from their competition too many times. Its like it was just a few games, they get desperate and in the end its just bad for gamers all around. Of course Xbox only gamers will never admit this but there are some games that do need to be multiplat. Their companies need the profits.

Huh? The "source" or "mode" of how companies get exclusive games are all the same: need and money. Any of the big 3 need a game for their portfolio, they pay for it. And if the deals with any of the big 3 were bad, publishers wouldn't do them. Does EA HAVE to sign a deal with MS? No. Did thatgamecompany HAVE to sign a 3 game exclusive deal with Sony? No. Did Platinum HAVE to sign a deal with Nintendo? No.

The reason why people respond negatively to MS is because of agendas, plain and simple. No need to put lipstick on a pig.