By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will 3rd party AAA titles become a thing of the past?

What is driving 3rd parties to produce AAA titles if they won't make their money back with these evergrowing game budgets and don't produce the necessary sales for a prosperous business venture. They are in a pickle and thus becoming headless with only a focus on the near future.
this is partly why microsoft got titanfall, due to financial support, the way the game is funded is almost like a first party game.

3rd parties with ever higher growing budgets are taking more risks with one AAA game, if they produce more smaller games the chance will be bigger they will create a cashcow in the likes of Candy Crush.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

list the top 10 best selling 3rd party AAA title of last gen?
1. GTA V - ps3 and 360
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10.?

New aaa, maybe! Established franchisees, probably not since thats how they make money

If anything, what they will do is use something like the kickstarter nonsense and make people pre-pay before they invest on a big budget aaa title

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Short answer.....NO.

GTA
Bioshock
Call Of Duty
Battleship
Metal Gear Solid
Assassin Creed
Need For Speed

All sell huge number of units, all are always highly anticipated, all help move OLD and NEW consoles.

I think that we the consumer may not ever see the actual profit number that these titles bring in.

If the game cost $60 retail, costs 10 million to create and sells upwards to 1 million units, then that's a huge profit.

I'm a lover of big AAA games and I will continue to support the ones that I love.

There will be only few big publishers left. They are profitable. They will continue to make AAA titles that will appeal to mass market.

It is the same process which Hollywood went through.

Around the Network

No not a thing of the past, but we will see more DLC, more yearly releases and less new IP's.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

They've been declining for a while now. There'll still be some, but not nearly as many.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I'm sure a few groups can keep on going like rockstar, but the diversity will suffer if nothing drastic will happen

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

They are definitely declining, but I don't think that they will become a thing of the past anytime soon!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Triple A's are still the path to follow for big and aspiring to be big companies.
Indies that will move masses and millions will always be exception.
Most of the games I play are triple A's, I never fell in the indies wagon as I find them uninspiring and copies of Snes and Nes gems.