By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will 3rd party AAA titles become a thing of the past?

Goatseye said:
Triple A's are still the path to follow for big and aspiring to be big companies.
Indies that will move masses and millions will always be exception.
Most of the games I play are triple A's, I never fell in the indies wagon as I find them uninspiring and copies of Snes and Nes gems.

I highly agree with the latter of your post. I love indies, the remind me so much of the goldes years of Genesis, NES, Atari and Arcade games. Sidescrolling games have a huge chunk of my heart and always will. But I still love me some big budget AAA games.

Uncharted, Killzone Wipeout, Motorstorm, Need For Speed, God Of War. 

I loved my PS3 for those reasons. I can get a heavy dose of AAA titles, and a nice constant stream of Indie gems. 

Around the Network

They will probably become a thing of the past and I could care less! I grew out of those AAA games.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Yes. Gaming budgets have spiraled out of control over the last decade. This past gen they got ridiculous. It is not sustainable, which is why you see so many closures and mergers and buyouts. It's a sad state of affairs, really.

If some publishers/developers don't wisen up, they're going to wind up going the way of the dinosaur as well.

Projects like Mass Effect/dragon age won't happen anymore

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Projects like Mass Effect/dragon age won't happen anymore

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
sabastian said:
Short answer.....NO.

GTA
Bioshock
Call Of Duty
Battleship
Metal Gear Solid
Assassin Creed
Need For Speed

All sell huge number of units, all are always highly anticipated, all help move OLD and NEW consoles.

I think that we the consumer may not ever see the actual profit number that these titles bring in.

If the game cost $60 retail, costs 10 million to create and sells upwards to 1 million units, then that's a huge profit.

I'm a lover of big AAA games and I will continue to support the ones that I love.

dont forget

Witcher

Mass Effect

FF 13

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut