By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My estimated specs of the PlayStation 5

ParryWinkle said:
Too early too tell but dat ram seems wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooo high. The standard for now is what, 8GB of ram? I have 6GB and I do not have any problems. At most, next gen will have maybe 16GB

PS1: 2 MB main RAM
PS2: 32 MB
PS3: 512 MB total
PS4: 8 GB

Each generation the PS ram has been multiplied by 16. 8 GB seemed really, really much in 2006 but with PS4 it was the reality.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about RAM and different types of RAM, this is just some raw numbers, and 64 GB may not be too farfetched.

Edit. I saw several people already wrote that, I need a faster connection..

Yep.

Around the Network

someone is unhappy with their ps4?

kekrot said:
ParryWinkle said:
Too early too tell but dat ram seems wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooo high. The standard for now is what, 8GB of ram? I have 6GB and I do not have any problems. At most, next gen will have maybe 16GB

PS1: 2 MB main RAM
PS2: 32 MB
PS3: 512 MB total
PS4: 8 GB

Each generation the PS ram has been multiplied by 16. 8 GB seemed really, really much in 2006 but with PS4 it was the reality.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about RAM and different types of RAM, this is just some raw numbers, and 64 GB may not be too farfetched.

Edit. I saw several people already wrote that, I need a faster connection..

Listen to him!

PS5: 8 * 16 = 128GB

Also next year 128GB ddr4 will be available for mainstream PCs. The real question in fact is: will GDDR6 be cheap enough? They could delay the release of PS5 just because of that.

PS5 maybe won't release before 2020 because of ram availability (and smaller APU die size available like 28nm for PS4/XB1 was not possible one year earlier).

12GB OS

-Live TV at any time
-Music
-Internet Browser
-Photo Viewer
-Photo editor
-Video Viewer
-Video editor
-Game
-E-book
-Netflix
-News Ticker
-Live Weather
-Home Security System

These are just a few things I would expect from the console after PS4. I would expect to be able to run all of those things, switch between them in an instant, and be able to play games in 4K.

We have not even scratched the surface of what XBO and PS4 are going to be capable of from a multimedia point. Things like the XBO snap feature are going to evolve over the generation, the video editors will get super complex and that eats RAM very fast. Playing games while watching live TV and Video chatting at the same time will be common place later in this generation.

With all of that said, I expect the next generation to be even more powerful, more convenient, and more varied than this generation. 64GB and 12GB OS reserve is not crazy, it is the bare minimum.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

One Quick Question

If 128GB of RAM was possible in 2020 on the PS5, and most games were around 100GB. Would you not want the entire game loaded into RAM to completely eliminate load times?

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
Norris2k said:
freedquaker said:

The sentence here actually defeats itself and reflects and major misunderstanding of the OS requirements. Speaking of FreeBSD on PS4 in particular, the OS definitely does NOT need 3 GB RAM to operate. For all we know, it is perfectly fine with about half a gig. Sony originally wanted to go with only 4 GB, reserving 0.5 GB for the OS, and leaving 3.5 GB for the games, remember?

Given that the OS is still the same, then what happened? They were able to increase the RAM to 8 GB, and knowing that most developers & games do not need that amount of memory, they decided to RESERVE some amount of RAM to make the console

a) Future proof with upcoming features

b) They can always release some of the reserved RAM in the future with a software update, but once you release it, it's gone, you can't take it back, in order to add more multi-tasking features etc...

So if anything, the 3 GB reserved for the OS proves that games DO NOT NEED 8 GB. This is clear from the PC games today, there isn't a single game that uses more than 4-5 GB! The vast majority of games do not even use more than 2 GB (system), being limited to 32 bit, and only recently are we seeing a trend away from this, with the advent of the next-gen consoles.

In the past, however, this was never the case. The PC had always used more RAM than was available on the consoles. Most PC games in 2006 were already using way more than 256-512 MB RAM, which comes with 360 and PS3. So you clearly see a relative abundance of memory here, which means the next gen will not have this kind of jump. The large reserve for the OS does not mean the OSs are that hungry, on the contrary, it means Sony can afford to reserve that much RAM from the games as they simply don't need as much today.

Mark my words here, and remember how ridiculous your original claims will look by then. Things do not get just scaled up, there is always a technical REASON behind them. With your projections, there is NONE.

Technically speaking, you are mostly right, but you are contradicting yourself.

You finish with "Things do not get just scaled up, there is always a technical REASON behind them. With your projections, there is NONE.".

But you are saying yourself that currently the vast amount of memory on the PS4 has no use. You remove 3 Gb from game and it's not really big deal, most game using 2-4 Gb. You add it on the OS, but you don't really have any use for it. There is no "technical REASON" for currently scaling up the OS memory... just a vague future proof intuition that it could have some use in the future. Most OS are not heavy memory consumer at core. In fact, strictly speaking, even the graphical environment that makes most of the memory footprint is not mandatory for BSD, it's a dispensable feature. So just add an other dispensable feature like a browser in background and you have your OS reserve a lot more memory. Feature could really rise in memory use especially because in a few year the decade old limitation from the 32 bits (and limited console) period will be forgotten.

Valid objections, and time for me to be a bit clearer (and clarify)...

The main reasons why there are two OSes operating at the same time on XB1, for example, are

a) To be able to run regular apps and games at the same time with full multi-tasking, and without each system interfering with the other

b) To be able to write closer to the metal with games, with a stripped down games focused OS.

c) Having the fully fledged OS for apps, but without compromising the games performance.

So basically the XB1 is running two OSes (or somewhat very low level Virtual Machines) at the same time. This is an incredible enterprise! But the big downside is the memory requirements, and disc access.

PS4, on the other hand, initially wanted to go with much smaller and less ambitious goal in multi-tasking. The games would run in their own protected and low level environment, while the apps would be handled by the OS separately. On the other hand, the additional RAM brought a lot more possibilities to Sony. I, honestly, don't know much about their implementations at this stage, and I am sure, PS4 would be perfectly fine 5.5-6 GB of memory as of this moment, and the remaining memory seems totally unused (at the moment).However, Sony will undoubtedly utilize this in the future, some of the possibilities are...

a) Additional simultaneous apps, features...

b) VR,

c) PS Now

d) Emulation

e) PS Vita related

f) Release some of this memory back to developers

g) GPGPU related

etc...

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

the-pi-guy said:
I'd think it'd be interesting to see some equivalent threads from 2006; and also to look back at this thread in 2020 or whenever.

What I was thinking.  I remember every time someone would say, "You will never need more than X" of something (processing, memory, HDD, etc.) a decade down the road the standard far surpassed that number.  We are too far off to make legitimate predictions, but given how far and how fast we have come little would surprise me in the future.

KBG29 said:
One Quick Question

If 128GB of RAM was possible in 2020 on the PS5, and most games were around 100GB. Would you not want the entire game loaded into RAM to completely eliminate load times?

Well, no, If we speak about big AAA games taking 100GB: Because the data on the bluray is heavily compressed, sometimes several times (every PS4 games are gzip compressed on the bluray + others local compressions like for textures or MP3 audio) and needs to be uncompressed before being stored on the ram.

So even a 100GB 4 layers bluray (on the PS5 even if I suspect even more bigger blurays in 2020, maybe 300GB) would need much more than 128GB uncompressed (maybe like 300-500GB-ish).

Also a lot of Ram is used for buffers and working memory "created" dynamically by the game + OS reserve so not all of 128GB would be available for pure assets.

Finally even if if was possible (if we had enough ram) it would be too long because IO access (HDD & Bluray are too slow), it's better to just load the level we are and load the next level during the level you are etc., HDD & Bluray can't load more than that and it's useless anyway.

I don't see 4k coming to PS5.

method114 said:
I don't see 4k coming to PS5.

I don't see why not. Honestly, I expect some kind of PS4K or something to come out before we see a PS5. 

People seem to have a really bad perception of is required for 4k console. PS4 currently can run many games in 4k. Basically any PS3 game would be no sweat for it. A PS5 with the bare minimum 5 generations newer CPU+GPU combo and stacked RAM would run games unqchievaable on PS4 at 4k with ease.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL