By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cheat Code Central: "Zero Suit Samus’s New Design is Sexist is here's why"

Tagged games:

Red4ADevil said:

BTW what woman would want to see Captain Falcon wearing a thong in battle (let alone a man). Id rather have him wear the "bat nipples" instead (thanks Joel Schumacher).

I am that man.  

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The problem here is that clearly Samus sets unrealistic body standards for women.

The gaming industry never does that with men...

I'd have to disagree the average guy does not look like Chris from resident evil or duke nukem although some do who make an effort to have that appearance. 

The same applies with Samus some women actually are proportioned like she is depicted but it is rare

Edit: I'd say that in both situations characters are depicted with regards to what is considered as the ideal look for the respective gender...

For example Chris very tall , unrealistically huge arms/chest etc

Samus unrealistically small waist to hip ratio etc

sundin13 said:
Finally, the OP complains about the fact that there is no character to appeal to girls...but what about Little Mac? Or the fact that we haven't seen the whole roster yet....

Read the first line of the thread, the one in bold. It's not my complaint. ;)

And to everyone complaining about heels being unrealistic in a fight: THIS IS A GAME, SINCE WHEN DOES IT NEED TO BE REALISTIC? and why aren't you complaining about peach and zelda fighting in dresses? dresses are also sexist if we use the same logic.

o_O.Q said:
curl-6 said:

The problem here is that clearly Samus sets unrealistic body standards for women.

The gaming industry never does that with men...

I'd have to disagree the average guy does not look like Chris from resident evil or duke nukem although some do who make an effort to have that appearance. 

The same applies with Samus some women actually are proportioned like she is depicted but it is rare

Edit: I'd say that in both situations characters are depicted with regards to what is considered as the ideal look for the respective gender...

For example Chris very tall , unrealistically huge arms/chest etc

Samus unrealistically small waist to hip ratio etc

According to men..  the overmuscled proffessionl wrestler look isn't exactly in.

It's the differnece between Idolization and Objectification.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7290-Objectification-And-Men

Outside which

Duke Nukem for example is buff... he's also ugly as balls ... Marcus Fenix has a face you could cut a side of beef on.  Neither are going to be too successful picking up ladies at the clubs.

At best they'd be the equivlent of...

Around the Network

I like how these type of articles are always like: "you may not think it is sexist, and that's perfectly fine, but it actually is (because we say so)!". Why should they change Mario or Yoshi's design to Kenshiro? Did they ever look like that? Samus however was always seen as a blond bombshell.

I don't like her high heels, not because it's supposed to be sexist, it doesn't suit Samus.

Kasz216 said:

According to men..  the overmuscled proffessionl wrestler look isn't exactly in.

It's the differnece between Idolization and Objectification.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7290-Objectification-And-Men

Outside which

Duke Nukem for example is buff... he's also ugly as balls ... Marcus Fenix has a face you could cut a side of beef on.  Neither are going to be too successful picking up ladies at the clubs.

At best they'd be the equivlent of...

This upsets the Duke!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Kasz216 said:

This upsets the Duke!

Hey i'm just saying, look at Peoples Sexiest man alive choices etc.

The muscles are meant to idolize power...

If you want to talk about a videogame character meant to be physically attractive... I'd go in another direction.

Guys like him and Nathan Drake are more in line with what women find sexy, and they haven't shown up really until VERY recently... and i'd argue it's more because men's opinions on what there bodys should look like are different.

Offer me a Captain America like serum that will blow me up like Duke Nukem or Marcus Fenix and I'm not taking it or at least, not if i have the option of taking a toned down serum to look more like new Dante or Drake.

*hides Senran Kagura*

Of course it's sexist, boo!

Seriously though, what's all the fuss about? Can't we just appreciate the beauty anymore? No 2 statues of Aphrodite are the same.

Makes sense, samus armor is anything but sexy (nobody knew she was a "she", before nintendo showed it), but with her suit off she is sexy as an contrast. But of course it's sexist. But most males won't care.