By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Boom to use enhanced version of Crytek 3 engine + split screen with gamepad

Zero999 said:
curl-6 said:

Indeed it does, and as we haven't even seen FAST we don't know what we are dealing with yet. Historically though, Shin'en's game are more technically orientated than Nintendo games.

Here's a pre-alpha screen of Art of Balance, using the engine FAST runs on.

Damn impressive if you ask me.

I think fast racing neo will top most ps4/xone racers. shin'en guys even said they're using the largest size of texture that currently exists and the engine was meant to use wii u's power.

I'm really excited to see what FAST Racing Neo looks like. The original on the Wii with a 40MB file size already looked like this:

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Indeed it does, and as we haven't even seen FAST we don't know what we are dealing with yet. Historically though, Shin'en's game are more technically orientated than Nintendo games.

Tech demo's always are.
Unfortunatly, they are never able to have assets with that kind of detail in a real game.

This is what the Geforce "5/FX" (We are at the Geforce 16 now.) could do, yet couldn't even handle Oblivion due to it's lacklusture SM2.0 performance.

The FAST engine *is* impressive, it's efficient and feature rich, I'm not trying to say otherwise, but proof from the last few decades keeps me skeptical when you have demonstations such as those.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

curl-6 said:
Zero999 said:

I think fast racing neo will top most ps4/xone racers. shin'en guys even said they're using the largest size of texture that currently exists and the engine was meant to use wii u's power.

I'm really excited to see what FAST Racing Neo looks like. The original on the Wii with a 40MB file size already looked like this:

Forget that, the amazing is that Nano assault neo was 40mb too.

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Tech demo's always are.
Unfortunatly, they are never able to have assets with that kind of detail in a real game.

This is what the Geforce "5/FX" (We are at the Geforce 16 now.) could do, yet couldn't even handle Oblivion due to it's lacklusture SM2.0 performance.

The FAST engine *is* impressive, it's efficient and feature rich, I'm not trying to say otherwise, but proof from the last few decades keeps me skeptical when you have demonstations such as those.

The pic I posted isn't from a tech demo, it's a gameplay screen.

curl-6 said:

The pic I posted isn't from a tech demo, it's a in-game screen.

Yeah a quick jump onto youtube showed me that before you replied, however...
It's not an "open" world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xdl2eBR2vM

The WiiU would fold if it had to render an entire game world with hundreds/thousands of objects of that quality, tech demo's are similar in that it's not a sprawling world with massive draw distances and thousands of objects on screen, just usually a single focal object that has most of it's rendering power thrown at it.

Thus by extension, don't expect all games to be of this calibre.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
curl-6 said:
Zero999 said:

Forget that, the amazing is that Nano assault neo was 40mb too.

Nano Assault is 82MB, but yes, it is incredibly small for how good it looks. Shin'en have said that Art of Balance for Wii U will be around twice as large as Nano Assault, and that FAST will be "much bigger" again. (Those 4k-8k textures need space, even with Shin'en's insane compression wizardry)

Also, according to them, Nano Assault Neo barely scratched the surface of what Wii U can do:

"Only very tiny bits of Nano Assault Neo took advantage of the Wii U architecture. We had the game from start in 720p at 60fps. We drew the complete game world twice for TV and GamePad. We had tons of overlays, special effects and even camera streaming and still had no GPU or CPU problems. So we simply had no reason to dig deep into the architecture."

"all of our shaders used in ‘Nano Assault Neo’ are not really optimized. We just used the first iteration of them because they were already fast enough. We looked later through the shaders dis-assembly and noticed we can make them 30-40% faster by better pipeline usage or better hints for the shader compiler.

As ‘Nano Assault Neo’ never had a problem running at 60fps (including a 2nd screen rendering at 60fps on the GamePad) we didn’t have to do that kind of optimizations back then. For CPU usage ‘Nano Assault Neo’ only used the main CPU core. The two other cores were almost idle, beside a few percent used for our audio thread.

So all in all ‘Nano Assault Neo’ only used a fraction of the currently available resources on Wii U"

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

The pic I posted isn't from a tech demo, it's a in-game screen.

Yeah a quick jump onto youtube showed me that before you replied, however...
It's not an "open" world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xdl2eBR2vM

The WiiU would fold if it had to render an entire game world with hundreds/thousands of objects of that quality, tech demo's are similar in that it's not a sprawling world with massive draw distances and thousands of objects on screen, just usually a single focal object that has most of it's rendering power thrown at it.

Thus by extension, don't expect all games to be of this calibre.

Of course I don't expect all Wii U games to look this good, but last gen on Wii, FAST Racing League looked better than the Wii version of Art of Balance; I expect this to be repeated on Wii U.

curl-6 said:

Of course I don't expect all Wii U games to look this good, but last gen on Wii, FAST Racing League looked better than the Wii version of Art of Balance; I expect this to be repeated on Wii U.

I honestly hope it does. :)

Although, personally if I was to buy a WiiU (I'm tempted, I have to admit, don't care for the Next-Gen twins), it's not for the graphics anyway, it would be for the gameplay and drunken shenannigans that you really can't get on any other platform.

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Although, personally if I was to buy a WiiU (I'm tempted, I have to admit, don't care for the Next-Gen twins), it's not for the graphics anyway, it would be for the gameplay and drunken shenannigans that you really can't get on any other platform.

Gameplay comes first for me too, I'm just a nerd about graphics. XD

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Gameplay comes first for me too, I'm just a nerd about graphics. XD

So am I, hence why I have a high-end PC and an eyefinity display set-up for all my graphical needs that no console can touch. :P