By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Boom to use enhanced version of Crytek 3 engine + split screen with gamepad

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

I honestly hope it does. :)

Although, personally if I was to buy a WiiU (I'm tempted, I have to admit, don't care for the Next-Gen twins), it's not for the graphics anyway, it would be for the gameplay and drunken shenannigans that you really can't get on any other platform.

Gameplay comes first for me too, I'm just a nerd about graphics. XD

So am I, hence why I have a high-end PC and an eyefinity display set-up for all my graphical needs that no console can touch. :P

Okay, I'm a nerd about Nintendo graphics. :p

Around the Network

It may have the possibility of being the first Sonic in years that is good enough to convince me to get it.And here's the first picture.What do you think about it?

curl-6 said:
Zero999 said:

Forget that, the amazing is that Nano assault neo was 40mb too.

Nano Assault is 82MB, but yes, it is incredibly small for how good it looks. Shin'en have said that Art of Balance for Wii U will be around twice as large as Nano Assault, and that FAST will be "much bigger" again. (Those 4k-8k textures need space, even with Shin'en's insane compression wizardry)

Also, according to them, Nano Assault Neo barely scratched the surface of what Wii U can do:

"Only very tiny bits of Nano Assault Neo took advantage of the Wii U architecture. We had the game from start in 720p at 60fps. We drew the complete game world twice for TV and GamePad. We had tons of overlays, special effects and even camera streaming and still had no GPU or CPU problems. So we simply had no reason to dig deep into the architecture."

"all of our shaders used in ‘Nano Assault Neo’ are not really optimized. We just used the first iteration of them because they were already fast enough. We looked later through the shaders dis-assembly and noticed we can make them 30-40% faster by better pipeline usage or better hints for the shader compiler.

As ‘Nano Assault Neo’ never had a problem running at 60fps (including a 2nd screen rendering at 60fps on the GamePad) we didn’t have to do that kind of optimizations back then. For CPU usage ‘Nano Assault Neo’ only used the main CPU core. The two other cores were almost idle, beside a few percent used for our audio thread.

So all in all ‘Nano Assault Neo’ only used a fraction of the currently available resources on Wii U"

Correct. I hope fas racing neo makes third parties in general look incompetent.

Zero999 said:
curl-6 said:

Nano Assault is 82MB, but yes, it is incredibly small for how good it looks. Shin'en have said that Art of Balance for Wii U will be around twice as large as Nano Assault, and that FAST will be "much bigger" again. (Those 4k-8k textures need space, even with Shin'en's insane compression wizardry)

Also, according to them, Nano Assault Neo barely scratched the surface of what Wii U can do:

"Only very tiny bits of Nano Assault Neo took advantage of the Wii U architecture. We had the game from start in 720p at 60fps. We drew the complete game world twice for TV and GamePad. We had tons of overlays, special effects and even camera streaming and still had no GPU or CPU problems. So we simply had no reason to dig deep into the architecture."

"all of our shaders used in ‘Nano Assault Neo’ are not really optimized. We just used the first iteration of them because they were already fast enough. We looked later through the shaders dis-assembly and noticed we can make them 30-40% faster by better pipeline usage or better hints for the shader compiler.

As ‘Nano Assault Neo’ never had a problem running at 60fps (including a 2nd screen rendering at 60fps on the GamePad) we didn’t have to do that kind of optimizations back then. For CPU usage ‘Nano Assault Neo’ only used the main CPU core. The two other cores were almost idle, beside a few percent used for our audio thread.

So all in all ‘Nano Assault Neo’ only used a fraction of the currently available resources on Wii U"

Correct. I hope fas racing neo makes third parties in general look incompetent.

The original FAST Racing League certainly made most Wii devs look pretty incompetent.

nicktwilight said:

It may have the possibility of being the first Sonic in years that is good enough to convince me to get it.And here's the first picture.What do you think about it?

DirectX 11 confirmed it seems:

It shows a real wiiu dev kit too. Interensing..

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Around the Network
justiceiro said:

Yikes! Someone needs to hit the Gym on their off time...

Nem said:
justiceiro said:

Ashamed to say that's the first thought i also had.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Nem said:
justiceiro said:

Yet neither of you too realized that she has tiger blood

Look at her arms

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

justiceiro said:
Mr Khan said:

Yet neither of you too realized that she has tiger blood

Look at her arms

I saw that. I wondered what it was.

What kind of condition is it?

edit: I'm gonna assume it was  a Charlie Sheen joke in the meanwhile.

justiceiro said:
nicktwilight said:

That's curous; Wii U  GPU does have DX10/11 equivalent features, but it doesn't actually use the Direct X API. Maybe the devkits do and they're using some sort of middleware?