By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Boom to use enhanced version of Crytek 3 engine + split screen with gamepad

cycycychris said:
kitler53 said:
cycycychris said:

Usually the Wii U isn’t associated with being a graphic powerhouse, so the fact that when Sonic Boom was announced to be using the Crytek 3 engine, people took notice. What was once considered “unbelievable” on the system, the trailer for Sonic Boom looked like it could easily be on the PS4 or Xbox One, but was exclusively for Wii U. Now, new details are emerging that the standard Crytek 3 engine actually couldn’t handle Sonic Boom.

i absolutely agree.   all the focus on indie titles show there really is a place on ps4 and xbone for non-AAA games.  i mean, surely you aren't saying this is even in the same ballpark to this or this...

Wow, I must have missed that part when I was reading the article(this is just copyed and pasted). I would have cut that part out. While the game does look impressive, I wouldn't compare it with the PS4.

no big, just because you post and article doesn't mean you have to agree with all (or any) of it.  i just thought that statement was absurd.

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
3d world lights, reflexions, shadows, water effects were amazing.
when AA was applied, was perfect too.

i think they pushed enough the wii u haedware

Correct.

Zekkyou said:
Zero999 said:

you are just denying credit where it's due. the biggest example so far is mario kart 8, wich is gorgeous on both aesthetics AND graphics. other games like, nintendoland, 3d world, pikmin 3 and W101 do the same is smaller scales.

I really have no interest in having another of these conversations with you Zero, it's boring to talk the technical sides of games with someone who bases their comments on a bias rather than common sense. If you wish to believe Nintendo are graphically ambitious with their early 7th gen AA and static flat textures, then by all means you are welcome to your opinion. But if you wish to believe that, then you'd also have to consider the likes of Ryse and inFamous as graphically phenomenal in comparison, so as to not contract the logic by which you reason.

That said, I do find it odd i was told numerous times last gen that the Wii's game looked great because of their art style, and that graphics don't matter. Suddenly that doesn't seem to be the case ^^

graphics don't matter but denying their high quality when they are, well, high quality, is pointless.

"their early 7th gen AA and static flat textures" look, wii u graphics are amazing, so are the other consoles, period. there's no need to make up stuff like this when we already have the greatest example of mario kart 8.

Zero999 said:
Zekkyou said:

I really have no interest in having another of these conversations with you Zero, it's boring to talk the technical sides of games with someone who bases their comments on a bias rather than common sense. If you wish to believe Nintendo are graphically ambitious with their early 7th gen AA and static flat textures, then by all means you are welcome to your opinion. But if you wish to believe that, then you'd also have to consider the likes of Ryse and inFamous as graphically phenomenal in comparison, so as to not contract the logic by which you reason.

That said, I do find it odd i was told numerous times last gen that the Wii's game looked great because of their art style, and that graphics don't matter. Suddenly that doesn't seem to be the case ^^

graphics don't matter but denying their high quality when they are, well, high quality, is pointless.

"their early 7th gen AA and static flat textures" look, wii u graphics are amazing, so are the other consoles, period. there's no need to make up stuff like this when we already have the greatest example of mario kart 8.

As i said, you are free to believe whatever nonsense tickles your fancy. Just don't reply to my comments on the topic, as i really have no time for you. If you must, go ahead, but i won't be responding.

Zekkyou said:

I'm not talking purely visually, just graphically. From an artistic stand point Nintendo are incredibly skilled, which is why MK8 looks good. Graphically (the technical side of visuals) Nintendo lack any kind of ambition. I'm still amazed they haven't moved on from basic edge detection AA >.<

It's a shame really because the WiiU is capable of quite a bit, but it's the 1st party that tends to push their hardware (as Nintendo did with the N64, GC and Wii). If Nintendo don't push their hardware, the WiiU is never going to have a truly amazing looking a game.

It's just embarassing how people respond to this, when you're explicitly breaking out technical details distict from the enjoyability of the art, which you state looks good.  If they have an argument on technical details, that should include actual technical details like textures, lighting, shadows, AA, occlusion...  But no, they will incessantly argue a topic they apprently have no interest in, because they emotionally feel it is a dig on Nintendo.   WTF?

Agreed on repurcussions of lack of 1st party ambition... Nintendo should be pushing to limit there, and sharing their work with all 3rd parties, that's how to get full optimization of Wii U across the board.  Sony did similarly with PS3.  Nintendo's games are ultimately not dependent on technical ambition, but that is not to say that they could still not benefit from it: lighting for one.  Not being dependent on it, Nintendo can freely push teams to push the limit, and if they don't achieve it 100%, that's OK the game still works fine.  But anything they do achieve can be harvested for future games.  Now Nintendo may very well see that as not ultimately being a worthwhile thing to invest in... but if so, I hope the Wii U fans can stop playing victim about how 3rd parties won't fully optimize to leverage Wii U's secret sauce.  

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
Zekkyou said:

I'm not talking purely visually, just graphically. From an artistic stand point Nintendo are incredibly skilled, which is why MK8 looks good. Graphically (the technical side of visuals) Nintendo lack any kind of ambition. I'm still amazed they haven't moved on from basic edge detection AA >.<

It's a shame really because the WiiU is capable of quite a bit, but it's the 1st party that tends to push their hardware (as Nintendo did with the N64, GC and Wii). If Nintendo don't push their hardware, the WiiU is never going to have a truly amazing looking a game.

It's just embarassing how people respond to this, when you're explicitly breaking out technical details distict from the enjoyability of the art, which you state looks good.  If they have an argument on technical details, that should include actual technical details like textures, lighting, shadows, AA, occlusion...  But no, they will incessantly argue a topic they apprently have no interest in, because they emotionally feel it is a dig on Nintendo.   WTF?

Agreed on repurcussions of lack of 1st party ambition... Nintendo should be pushing to limit there, and sharing their work with all 3rd parties, that's how to get full optimization of Wii U across the board.  Sony did similarly with PS3.  Nintendo's games are ultimately not dependent on technical ambition, but that is not to say that they could still not benefit from it: lighting for one.  Not being dependent on it, Nintendo can freely push teams to push the limit, and if they don't achieve it 100%, that's OK the game still works fine.  But anything they do achieve can be harvested for future games.  Now Nintendo may very well see that as not ultimately being a worthwhile thing to invest in... but if so, I hope the Wii U fans can stop playing victim about how 3rd parties won't fully optimize to leverage Wii U's secret sauce.  

Indeed :/ It's not like i'm even insulting the games, I've explicitly said they look good, which is all that really matters. I'm just disappointing by their lack of effort into pushing their graphics, which could make their games look even better. I'm essentially describing the WiiU's games how Nintendo fans praised the Wii's last gen, but suddenly that's bad?

It's no different than me saying Ryse and Killzone have great graphics, but mediocre art styles. They still look brilliant, but in the reverse to Nintendo's games, it can be mostly credited to graphical prowess rather than artistic.

Zekkyou said:
Samus Aran said:
Zekkyou said:
Not sure why simply using CE3 is impressive, even the PS3 and 360 were compatible with it :P

Still, it's a nice looking game. Perhaps not quite the jump i was expecting after a year and a half on the market, but with Nintendo's lack of graphical ambition we have to settle with the ambition of 3rd/2nd parties. Definitely going to keep an eye on this ^^ Haven't bought a Sonic game in year.

Mario Kart 8 looks better. And I like the look of Super Mario 3D World better as well. Though haven't seen enough footage yet, so might change. 

They did just step into the HD development process just 2 years ago. With the Wii, HD was obviously not an issue, so they should be able to "push" the Wii U to it's absolute limits with games released somewhere around 2016/2017.

We should make a sticky for people who can't stop talking about how Wii U games are technically a mess, but magically look good all because of art design.

Because that argument is getting boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVVtDpUa5Jk

The game is a masterpiece.

Samus Aran said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-W_CgqQ38I

Not many Wii games actually look better than this final battle. In fact, the lightning in this level looks better than the lightning in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in my opinion. 

I agree with Super Smash Bros., but Super Mario 3D World looks great in my opinion. Obviously I hope the next 3D Mario looks better, but that's because it comes later in the Wii U life cycle and they have more experience with HD development now. 

The final battle did look fantastic, I agree, but other areas like Skyloft and Faron Woods looked yuck.

And 3D World had very nice textures, lighting, and effects, and 60fps with v-sync is a big plus, but its small, simple worlds aren't maxing out a RAM pool double the size of PS3 or 360.

Zekkyou said:
Samus Aran said:
Zekkyou said:
Not sure why simply using CE3 is impressive, even the PS3 and 360 were compatible with it :P

Still, it's a nice looking game. Perhaps not quite the jump i was expecting after a year and a half on the market, but with Nintendo's lack of graphical ambition we have to settle with the ambition of 3rd/2nd parties. Definitely going to keep an eye on this ^^ Haven't bought a Sonic game in year.

Mario Kart 8 looks better. And I like the look of Super Mario 3D World better as well. Though haven't seen enough footage yet, so might change. 

While it is likely Wii U will never be maxed out, I still reckon upcoming games like F.A.S.T. Racing Neo and Art of Balance have a shot at looking amazing.