By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shenmue 3 'as close to being announced as it ever has been over the past decade'

That article was poorly written. If anyone had the privilege of being selected to a closed door special announcement of Shenmue 3 I highly doubt the writer would walk out feeling the franchise would bust. There was no game reveal or anything of that nature, just information regarding the future of shenmue and this schmuck of a journalist creates an article bashing the return of the game. That's why I don't even believe the writer or anything he tries to fantasize happened including the so called closed event no one else reported on lol. Looking through the comments in the article; this journalist seems to be completely clueless.

Around the Network

Bullshit

Every year we are so close and every year it's a letdown the boy can cry wolf so many times last 10 years. This will end up in another let down and Shenmue fan sites will freak out and get thier hopes up as always.

shikamaru317 said:
DerNebel said:

That is exactly what I mean by the demand for that game is blown completely out of proportion thanks to the internet, I really don't see why over 2 million people would buy the last part of a trilogy of which only a couple 100k played the 2nd part and that over ten years ago, at the very least if they want to make Shenmue 3 then they have to make the first 2 games available to the consoles they plan to release the third game on.

Also I never played Shenmue, but as far as I know the thing that made it so expensive was that they wanted to create a real living world in which you could interact with everything, if they want to stay true to that with the third part then that should take a considerable amount of time and resources once again.

Believe it or not I've talked to quite a few people who have never played Shenmue who want Shenmue 3. In fact I am one of them, I've only ever watched Shenmue the movie, a compilation of major cutscenes from the first game that Sega released theatrically in Japan and on a bonus disc in the US. You also can't underestimate the fact that seeing an epic trailer for Shenmue 3, at say E3 for instance, would convince alot of people to get the game. Just look at Kingdom Hearts 3, preorders are already tracking far ahead of previous KH games even though it's releasing in 2015 or 2016, and that's because people that have never played the series before have heard how good it is and now they want to play it themselves. Plus we can't rule out the fact that they could release HD ports of Shenmue 1 and 2 to get new people interested before Shenmue 3 releases. 

As for the budget, developers have since created living open worlds with less budget than Shenmue 1 and 2 had, so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to develop it for less.

Well it's of course not impossible, I personally just don't see it. If the want to release Shenmue 3 then they absolutely have to release 1 & 2 HD in my opinion.

And yeah, the budget might be smaller then the original games' but that still doesn't mean it would be small and since I have a hard time believing that Shenmue 3 would hit even a million that could still mean significant losses.

About Kingdom Hearts 3, how do you know it's tracking ahead in preorders of the last two numbered Kingdeom Hearts games? Though even if it did, we have to acknowledge that in the last years the preorder culture has grown massively, I'm pretty sure that people didn't preorder half as much during the PS2 days.

Ok, so i dislike one of the big three with a passion.

With that been said, if Shenmue 3 ever does get the green light, i want it to be on EVERYTHING (X1, WiiU, PC & PS4.) and the reason why i want it on everything is so that this amazing franchise can reach as many gamers as humanly possible no matter what their console(s) of choice, and get as many sales as it can.

Theres many on the internet who think this should be a ps4 exclusive just because Yakuza is on sony's consoles.

Breaking news............. SCREW YAKUZA and it's exclusivity, and screw those who say we don't need Shenmue 3 because we now "apparently" have a better successor in the shape of Yakuza.

Shenmue>>> Yakuza today, yesterday, last week, last month, last gen, the gen before that and forever.

Stop toying with my feelings. :(

DerNebel said:
I think that Shenmue 3 demand is blown completely out of proportion thanks to the internet. Looking at sales of the first 2 games I can't help but think that an AAA Shenmue 3 game in this time and day would be nothing but a financial disaster.

The then and the now are different times. Open world adventure games werent as popular as they are now.

Also, the myth has been baking in the internet for quite a while. If they make a visually impressive game that adapts to modern design, it will undoubtedly become a million seller. Especially if it has Sony or Microsoft backing it in the advertisement front.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
celador said:

it became clear it's as close to being announced as it has ever been over the past decade.

So not at all?

KylieDog said:
celador said:

it became clear it's as close to being announced as it has ever been over the past decade.

So not at all?

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Of course it's closer to being announced. We're a decade closer to eternity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

DerNebel said:
I think that Shenmue 3 demand is blown completely out of proportion thanks to the internet. Looking at sales of the first 2 games I can't help but think that an AAA Shenmue 3 game in this time and day would be nothing but a financial disaster.

You'd be exactly right too. People would roast a new Shenmue game alive. The spiritual return of Panzer Dragoon didn't fare so well, so I think a series like Shenmue would be laughed off in the modern age. Compared to everything that's been released since, I don't think the mechanics have aged well enough to hold anybody's attention. What was good for the Dreamcast would probably only serve to bewilder people now.

The smart thing to do would be HD upgrades of Shenmue 1 and 2 first. I don't know the first thing about the franchise and there's no way I'd get into it at the 3rd game. But I'd give the first game a go. Though obviously if it's Xb one exclusive then it's a moot point.

I would say though, if Shenmue is the game MS is banking on to become a relevant console in Japan, they are deluding themselves. In fact if Sega wants to make money from Shenmue then they need to release the HD collection of 1 and 2 on all platforms (including PC) and do the same with Shenmue 3. Otherwise I hope they get paid a lot from MS to make it a Xb one exclusive. If Shenmue is released on its own as a Xb one exclusive I can see it selling about 250K in total, and that's only if it releases once Xb one has a user base in Japan of 2-300K.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix