By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Something To Ponder How Much Will MK8 Sell?

Busted said:
I'll get 17 million copies for myself, so all of you should take that into consideration - just saying

Indeed, I will buy 9 million copies as well. The Wii U will end it's cycle with 10 million units sold and Mario Kart 8 would have sold 30 million copies, showing the great system seller that the franchise is xD

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Let's be optimistic (and actually somewhat reasonable). If we go ahead and say 33% of all CURRENT Wii U owners purchase the game, which is fairly reasonable considering who likely owners of this system are, and we KNOW that a bunch of people who don't have a Wii U definitely want this game, it's highly likely to exceed 3-4 million units by the end of the year. Wii U hardware will see a big boost because hey, the game advertises the Wii U (assuming Nintendo can keep the information and marketing flowing).

Now, if what I think will happen actually happens, we could see Wii U pass 10 million, even hit 13 million units by the end of the year if steady releases continue to launch. My hunch tells me that MK8 was ready to hit by December, but back at E3 last year, the Big N planned to have their 2014 titles more consistently paced and so planned the launch of their marquee title to kick off the stream. We'll already see Bayonetta 2 hit Japan in June, which makes 2 big hits month after month there. We still have yet to get dates for X, SMTxFE, Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, or Zelda (2015 likely on that last one). That's five 2014 titles on the horizon, with seven months left in the year. Easily prepared for a stream.

I'm planning on Mario Kart 8 outselling Double Dash!!, although by how much I'm not so sure. I definitely don't see this selling anymore than 7.5 Million, though. People who are predicting 10 Million are really stretching it.

For how much this will impact the Wii U the week of release; I did some loose calculations and came up with about 85k for the week this comes out. I have no clue what the Wii U will consistently due after the fact, I don't see a drop below 45k within a month, though.

im hoping for lots, but dat install base :

Thanks jlmurph!

NintendoPie said:
I'm planning on Mario Kart 8 outselling Double Dash!!, although by how much I'm not so sure. I definitely don't see this selling anymore than 7.5 Million, though. People who are predicting 10 Million are really stretching it.

You predicted 9mil though lol, so im guessing your talking about yourself too?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6011710

Around the Network

6 million. It will sell slightly less than double dash which is at 6.5 mil. I don't think it matters how software sells though, as opposed to how much systems it sell.  As long as a game is slightly profitable it's good enough for the gamers.  A game like COD is highly profitable annd look at where the most profitable games have given us ie. Madden, Just dance.   Just because a certain game sells a lot it doesn't mean it entices other developers to start making games for the system.  Matter of fact developers are more reluctant to develop if there's already a game that draws in all the sales instead of their own game.  

It's the install base that matters the most. In which I don't think MK8 well sell as many systems as most people think. There's certainly been a lot of fan-fare going on about MK8, but that's largely the core gamers. There was certainly more hype around GTA5 among the casual gamers before it came out than MK8.

And yes the game can be done on PS3/360. The art style isn't a realistic art style. Remember how good windwaker and okami looks, well.. those games were done on the gamecube and PS2 respectively. The celshading and cartoony doesn't require as much system power.

Historically MK has stuck with an attach rate of 1:3, ie a third of Ninty console owners buy MK. So with that in mind, I'm gonna say 6 million total by the time the Wii U is withdrawn, because I think the Wii U will sell ~18 million by the end of its life. The LTD sales of the Wii U at the time MK8 releases won't matter because all MK games have huge legs and don't typically trail off with time (until the console it runs on trails off in sales, ie MK7 and the Wii). If the Wii U sells higher or lower then adjust accordingly.

It's true, you were beaten to this thread by about 3 months. Not only that, but that thread is active again now, so there's no need for this one:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=177039

Locking

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.