By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox One is fighting back

kungfuian said:

So let me get this straight-

We start with-

1. A terribly received media focused reveal for a games console

2. Next they reveal horrible always online and used game policies, and top it off with an all seeing spy cam

3. Proceed with the most awful handling of the whole thing with the press and customers leading almost up to launch

4. After substantial backlash be forced to flip flop on your original intent of your product just before launch; specifically due to low preorders

And even after all of that they still have to deal with the fact that they-

1. Have inferior hardware (shown out by both exclusives and multiplats, maybe not a deal breaker but not great when your box is the more expensive one, just ask ps3!)

2. and an inflated price relative to their nearest competitor (forced to cut and bundle within the first 4 months to stay competitive and still being outsold on a global basis)

3.all due to inclusion of underutilized/underperforming peripheral that gamers could care less about and has yet to be utilized in any way other than ui functionality that can be replaced by a $20 microphone and some software.

Plus add in

a. lack of early launch advantage of 360

b. an inferior overall global games business/brand loyalty

c. lack of early indi support (dismiss them all you want but they are the new 'shovelware' of past gens and essential for success).... Sony will have a lead in this area for at least a year even if microsoft can get their shit together

d.pay walled services and inferior 'free' game offerings from your paid service

e. more stuff I haven't though of because I'm tired...etc.etc.

The best that can be said is they are improving; which they sure as hell better be!!! But they have't got a chance in hell of catching up to Sony this time from a sales perspective!

By the way none of this has anything to do with the question 'Is/will the xb1 end up a great system to own/buy?'. The answer to that is a big fat duh. Of course it is/will be! As a gamer I look forward to buying one as the library builds up and the price comes down. As a gamer I haven't met a system I did't like, and at some point I'm sure it will look great next to my ps4

Keeping this all in mind, it's selling amazingly good

Around the Network

Fighting back doesn't mean much. "Hitting" back would mean it's making at least a dent on the PS4, which at the moment it clearly hasn't.

walsufnir said:
BeElite said:
Good. They cant just let sony have this gen.

But I belive they already "lost" while right now they are figting for how relevent their 2nd place will be.

Sad but I think you are right. Sad especially as Sony isn't that much better currently regarding games. I think it's the better price and the media which push PS4 sales.

PlayStation is also a much more powerful brand globally.

Which is what they're supposed to do...?

walsufnir said:

Sad but I think you are right. Sad especially as Sony isn't that much better currently regarding games. I think it's the better price and the media which push PS4 sales.

I disagree with the games part that is what is selling PS4 right now.

+ Better multiplatform... CoD fans is choosing PS4, BF4 fans is choosing PS4, AC fans is choosing PS4, etc... a normal guy that want to play the multoplat games will choose PS4.

+ Indie support... some will say these are "no games" but people like them... see how much Minecraft sold on 360... you can say most indies sell close to nothing compared with AAA games but everybody will have always a Indie game that fits his tastes... so Indies matter.

+ Exlusives... the strong point of the PlayStation brand is exclusives... you can say right now Xbone have better exclusives but it is just personal opinion (I prefer the PS4 exclusives for example)... the point is everybody already knows that the first-party games will happened every year... I bought consoles mainly for Gran Turismo and it will happen early or late.

So the game front is the PS4 differential... the special sauce of PS4 are the games and they are selling PS4 right now.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

I disagree with the games part that is what is selling PS4 right now.

+ Better multiplatform... CoD fans is choosing PS4, BF4 fans is choosing PS4, AC fans is choosing PS4, etc... a normal guy that want to play the multoplat games will choose PS4.

+ Indie support... some will say these are "no games" but people like them... see how much Minecraft sold on 360... you can say most indies sell close to nothing compared with AAA games but everybody will have always a Indie game that fits his tastes... so Indies matter.

+ Exlusives... the strong point of the PlayStation brand is exclusives... you can say right now Xbone have better exclusives but it is just personal opinion (I prefer the PS4 exclusives for example)... the point is everybody already knows that the first-party games will happened every year... I bought consoles mainly for Gran Turismo and it will happen early or late.

So the game front is the PS4 differential... the special sauce of PS4 are the games and they are selling PS4 right now.

- 3rd party: mostly true. Graphically better games for less money, especially. Mixed argument

- indies? Minecraft is a big exception, you know that. Masses are not buying PS4 for indies.

- Exclusives, well... Opinions over opinions, in my opinion :) By now no game would make me buy a next-gen system. My big hope, DriveClub, still isn't released.

Overall you can't deny that the lower price and the media are a *big* argument for sales.

wow. If MS need to 'fight back' when they have better games, imagine what will happen when sony releases as many exclusives as XB1

Wii U has been fighting back for a while then according to this article's standards.

Just wait until a new Kinectimals comes out! The PS4 will be in serious trouble when that happens!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Fighting back the tears from getting raped! Amirite guys?

*high fives guy*

Yeah. That guy gets it.

But seriously, the Xbox One is an awesome console and does a lot of things right. When more people see what it can do, more people will want one. Not on PS4 levels but it should do well.