By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 5 Year Old Exposes Microsoft Xbox Vulnerability

I think the thread title is still misleading.

Most news media have headlines like this:
"Five-year-old boy discovers serious Xbox security flaw and hacks into dad's account"
"Five-year-old hacks Xbox, discovers security flaw"
"5-year-old cracks Xbox One security by discovering simple flaw"

They don't mention Xbox >LIVE

Around the Network

lol that is a cool story! Thanks for posting!

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Seems he found a security flaw in the Xbox One account system, not anything to do with Live. I am sure the same thing works to log into his account whether he was connected or not.

Or, worked rather. That's the only thing that really matters here, they quickly fixed it.

BreedinBull said:
changing the title to appease a couple won't change the fact that this kid hacked xbox live.

But did he hack Xbox Live?  I mean from what I see, the kid logged into his father's account.  That's pretty much like saying your girlfriend hacked the internet because she figured out the password to your phone was "0000" and she read your email.

Didn't he more or less punch random spaces in a password or user box and go in the back? Kinda like when kids pres "000" and end up calling 911 with their parents' phone.

Around the Network
pezus said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

"Five-year-old boy discovers serious Xbox security flaw and hacks into dad's account"

They don't mention Xbox >LIVE<, and I believe that this is correct, because the security flaw was probably not related to XBL, the online service.

That's because they don't realize this has everything to do with LIVE...on XB1. As far as I know, you don't need passwords to log into different XB1 accounts, unless we're talking about Live accounts.

If his father has set up any parental controls or security features, then yes, he'd need to sign in to an adult account and put in the password before he could play certain games. Or, the dad could simply require his password at every login. Either way, more of an account security flaw than anything XBL related, since you don't need access to XBL for any of this to happen.

That kid is a genius with a bright future ahead of him!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

KylieDog said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

They don't mention Xbox >LIVE<, and I believe that this is correct, because the security flaw was probably not related to XBL, the online service.

System accounts don't have passwords.

As I get it, the security flaw allows bypassing the account authorization process on the local system. That doesn't appear to be directly related with XBL, even if this only applies to XBL accounts because other accounts don't have a password anyway.

KylieDog said:

System accounts don't have passwords.

J_Allard said:
Seems he found a security flaw in the Xbox One account system, not anything to do with Live. I am sure the same thing works to log into his account whether he was connected or not.

Or, worked rather. That's the only thing that really matters here, they quickly fixed it.

By quickly you mean this hasn't been discovered for the last 8 years or so and is probably how so any XBox Live accounts been 'hacked' over the years.

You can force a password prompt via the pass key entry, whether the pass key is on there for parental control reasons or simply an extra layer of security you put on there yourself. I would bet the kid failed the pass key and then was prompted for the password and did his trick. Has nothing to do with Xbox Live, don't even have to be connected to do any of it.

And by quickly I mean the general definition most people use: with speed, rapidly, etc etc. Hope that helped.

pezus said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

That's because they don't realize this has everything to do with LIVE...on XB1. As far as I know, you don't need passwords to log into different XB1 accounts, unless we're talking about Live accounts.

Actually it has nothing to do with Live. Its a securitty feature that stops his kids playing rated games. Which works offline. So yes the thread title is 100% wrong.