By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: "This year the most anticipated games will be exclusive to xbox"

makingmusic476 said:
Dodece said:
Microsoft is correct. They are correct thanks to a peculiarity of the market. The majority of 360 owners are hardcore or core gamers. Those lovable people that do anticipate games. They are a larger install base then found on the PS3, and the Wii has a very large casual demographic that really doesn't anticipate anything. They just gravitate to all the shiny things they find on the beach.

It isn't a question of whom you think has the better lineup which is subjective. The question is where the hype is to be found. People who already own a machine have ample incentive to be hyped and anticipate a game. While someone who does not own a machine yet probably isn't anticipating anything at the moment. Further more anticipation does not leap beyond console loyalties. The PS3 only owner isn't going to be anticipating Gears of War anymore then a 360 owner is anticipating Final Fantasy. We could call this the I don't give a shit factor. Then again how many times to PS3 owners freely confess they will pick up the PC port. Damn snaked yourselves didn't you.

This is actually a factual statement if it was made by Microsoft. You may dislike the wording, but that is hardly Microsoft's fault. They have the stronger core gaming market, and those are the people that anticipate things. They have it over the PS3 in the size of their customer base, and they have it over Nintendo according to the statistics that Nintendo has shared with the public. Basically a lot of very ignorant casual gamers that by their nature really can't anticipate anything until they see the commercial.

The only oblique logic you could follow is that somehow you can anticipate your consoles games more then the other guy can anticipate his consoles games. Like some sort of aura you can bend with your will. Otherwise if Microsoft said this they were truthful, but a lot of you guys as usual reinterpret it to be a completely different question. Which is always the same who has the better lineup.

Damn do some of you even bother contemplating these questions, or do you just spout gibberish at the slightest provocation. Some of you must babble in real life, or snap at your friends for piss poor reasons.

And what about fanbases for particular franchises?  Using your example of Final Fantasy, an Xbox 360 owner who has always loved Final Fantasy isn't going to ignore FFXIII just because it's not coming to the console they own.

The ps3 bigger games from long established franchises coming this year than the 360, in the form of MGS4 (a VERY hardcore game, that also sells very well), Tekken 6, SOCOM: Confrontation, GT5: Prologue, and possibly even GT5 itself. 

360 has just as many and with gears of two announced  easily just as many in terms of sales. NG 2 Fable 2 Gears of war 2 Banjo 3

There are other, smaller franchises coming out as well, that have a very dedicated, though miniscule, fanbases.  These include games like Disgaea 3, Hot Shots Golf 5 (this is a big game in Japan, but it came out last year over there), and Yakuza 3.

There are games that are coming on 360 as well like the tales games, postal.. etc

You can't say that the 360 fanbase will hype their games more than the ps3 fanbase, if the games don't warrant the hype.  NG2, Fable 2, and Banjo 3 are the only 360 games that might be recieving hype from people outside of the 360's current userbase, assuming the fans of these series have yet to purchase a 360.

Gears?? 

Also, that's assuming that we go by your assumption that only owners of a certain console can be hyped for games of said console. 

Anybody can hype any game in which they have an interest, regardless of whether they own the console said game is coming to or not.  They may just like the series, or like the concept enough that they are either thinking of adopting the system sometime in the future, or are anticipating a port to their console of choice down the road. 

bolded

edit: The gears comment is only there if you mean games that were on previous consoles and are not sequals to games that are on the current console

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Around the Network
Bingoo said:
makingmusic476 said:
Dodece said:
Microsoft is correct. They are correct thanks to a peculiarity of the market. The majority of 360 owners are hardcore or core gamers. Those lovable people that do anticipate games. They are a larger install base then found on the PS3, and the Wii has a very large casual demographic that really doesn't anticipate anything. They just gravitate to all the shiny things they find on the beach.

It isn't a question of whom you think has the better lineup which is subjective. The question is where the hype is to be found. People who already own a machine have ample incentive to be hyped and anticipate a game. While someone who does not own a machine yet probably isn't anticipating anything at the moment. Further more anticipation does not leap beyond console loyalties. The PS3 only owner isn't going to be anticipating Gears of War anymore then a 360 owner is anticipating Final Fantasy. We could call this the I don't give a shit factor. Then again how many times to PS3 owners freely confess they will pick up the PC port. Damn snaked yourselves didn't you.

This is actually a factual statement if it was made by Microsoft. You may dislike the wording, but that is hardly Microsoft's fault. They have the stronger core gaming market, and those are the people that anticipate things. They have it over the PS3 in the size of their customer base, and they have it over Nintendo according to the statistics that Nintendo has shared with the public. Basically a lot of very ignorant casual gamers that by their nature really can't anticipate anything until they see the commercial.

The only oblique logic you could follow is that somehow you can anticipate your consoles games more then the other guy can anticipate his consoles games. Like some sort of aura you can bend with your will. Otherwise if Microsoft said this they were truthful, but a lot of you guys as usual reinterpret it to be a completely different question. Which is always the same who has the better lineup.

Damn do some of you even bother contemplating these questions, or do you just spout gibberish at the slightest provocation. Some of you must babble in real life, or snap at your friends for piss poor reasons.

And what about fanbases for particular franchises? Using your example of Final Fantasy, an Xbox 360 owner who has always loved Final Fantasy isn't going to ignore FFXIII just because it's not coming to the console they own.

The ps3 bigger games from long established franchises coming this year than the 360, in the form of MGS4 (a VERY hardcore game, that also sells very well), Tekken 6, SOCOM: Confrontation, GT5: Prologue, and possibly even GT5 itself.

360 has just as many and with gears of two announced easily just as many in terms of sales. NG 2 Fable 2 Gears of war 2 Banjo 3

There are other, smaller franchises coming out as well, that have a very dedicated, though miniscule, fanbases. These include games like Disgaea 3, Hot Shots Golf 5 (this is a big game in Japan, but it came out last year over there), and Yakuza 3.

There are games that are coming on 360 as well like the tales games, postal.. etc

You can't say that the 360 fanbase will hype their games more than the ps3 fanbase, if the games don't warrant the hype. NG2, Fable 2, and Banjo 3 are the only 360 games that might be recieving hype from people outside of the 360's current userbase, assuming the fans of these series have yet to purchase a 360.

Gears??

Also, that's assuming that we go by your assumption that only owners of a certain console can be hyped for games of said console.

Anybody can hype any game in which they have an interest, regardless of whether they own the console said game is coming to or not. They may just like the series, or like the concept enough that they are either thinking of adopting the system sometime in the future, or are anticipating a port to their console of choice down the road.

bolded

The Gears fanbase was created on the 360, much like Resistance: FOM's.

Also, like I said, all that was going by his assumption that only owners of a specific console can be hyped for that console's future line-up. I first tried to show how this assumption was false through my franchise fanbase argument, and I then stated how this assumption was false in my last paragraph. Given your reaction, I guess I failed in getting my point across. :(

Edit: And I completely forgot about Tales of Vesperia, but given the franchise's popularity in Japan, and the public disdain for the 360 in that country, I think that the ps3 port will sell better overall, even if it is released a year later.

haha sorry i just read that paragraph and wanted to comment
never read the last paragraph...

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Dolla Dolla said:
Bodhesatva said:
Dolla Dolla said:
Did you expect them to say something like, "I know PS3 and Wii have more highly anticipated games then we do, but we've got a few up our sleeve." ???

PR.

Right. We could even ask this question more generally: when should we ever take PR as a realistic depiction of the market landscape?

On the other hand, I am becoming more impressed with the 360's lineup. Gears of War 2, NG II, Fable 2, and Too Human is actually a fairly good quartet of exclusives, on top of GTA IV's exclusive content.

Actually, Bod, I'm surprised you aren't shitting kittens over the XBLA stuff.

http://www.xblah.net/2008/02/gdc-08-new-xbla-media-castle-crashers.html
http://www.xblah.net/2008/02/gdc-08-surprise-xna-realised-go.html

I wasn't really talking about my tastes, as I don't really care about GTA IV, Gears of War, or Too Human, just as I don't really care very much about Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, or even Metal Gear when I talk about PS3 having a great lineup. I was talking more generally. 

But yes, on a personal level, I was extatic about the XBLA stuff. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Tavin said:
This PR guys will go all to hell for liars XD
Well 90% of sony PR people would be in hell if this were true.

Around the Network

@konnichiwa
actually while im not making this a general statement for everybody in the world my 4 closest freinds didn't own an xbox360 when GeOW came out but all of them played it at my house and said that they would pick up GeOW 2 when it comes out so not necessarily everybody interested in GeOW 2 has GeOW

I honestly can't believe how many people I have seen question NG2's quality. Have they played NG?

For me I felt it smoked Dmc and God of war easily. Even NG normal enemies are good, in Dmc and GoW you can easily make it through normal enemies button mashing (if I can complete Dmc3 on the PC with the worst controls ever I feel that is a pretty good testament to it.) I mean DMC and GoW are great games but NG is still pretty far above them to me. NG was one of the best looking games of last generation and had incredible gameplay. Looks like NG2 is doing the same, seems like a reason to get hyped.

Oh and I think a lot of people aren't giving the 360 lineup enough credit. We just had Lost Odyssey, then there is GoW2, NG2, Fable 2, Too human, Splinter cell, alan wake, banjo kazooie3, left 4 dead, possibly Halo wars. And then some smaller exclusives like supreme commander, universe at war, warhound etc.

In an extremely nice turn of events it seems the games should be spread out as well. LO just came out, then Too human in spring, then NG2 in June, then I imagine fable 2 will be a bit before or after GoW2.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

I think the most-anticipated games are for PS3.

That's both a good thing and a bad thing. :/

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Hmm... luckily i have all 3 consoles so i can take advantage of all these great games. :D

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

It is really funny to be ironic for the twos and toos of Microsoft and consider the most anticipated games the fours and fives!!!
And, when exactly the GoW fanbase (a spectacular game for its genre, god i missed the covering system in CoD4, i'm getting used to it!) became equal or something with the guys that bought Resistance (i wiil be polite: it was a ...descent effort) out of nessecity?

360 has even more andicipated games and that goes to the tastes of every gamer (mine goes with Alan Wake!)