By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: "This year the most anticipated games will be exclusive to xbox"

bingoo
this site reports that gears sold just over 5 million while mgs 2 sold 5.5 million and mgs3 sold just under 4 million. So it would seem to me by sales they are pretty even.

edit: xman beat me to it =(

Around the Network
cwbys21 said:

bingoo
this site reports that gears sold just over 5 million while mgs 2 sold 5.5 million and mgs3 sold just under 4 million. So it would seem to me by sales they are pretty even.

Konami themselves reports that the first two sold nigh on 7 million, I wouldn't trust this site for games older than a couple of years.  

This confirms MGS and FF13 on XBOX THIS YEAR!!!111

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

cwbys21 said:
bingoo

You have to add in the sales of MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistance.  They are essentially the "Greatest Hits" versions of MGS2/3, and added a good bit to the sales of each. 

Also, be aware that VGChartz only has data for the Japanese version of MGS2:S, and only Japanese + NA data for MGS3:S, while MGS sells the strongest in Europe.  All we know is that Substance sold 160k in Japan alone, and Subsistence sold 470k across Japan and NA.

Because of this, we know that MGS2 sold at least 6 mil. in total, and MGS3 sold closer to 4.5 mil.  MGS4's sales should be more in line with MGS2, as it is the direct sequel to MGS2 (whereas MGS3 was a prequel), and it has the next-gen "wow" factor that comes with updated graphics, much like MGS2 had and MGS3 did not. 

Microsoft is correct. They are correct thanks to a peculiarity of the market. The majority of 360 owners are hardcore or core gamers. Those lovable people that do anticipate games. They are a larger install base then found on the PS3, and the Wii has a very large casual demographic that really doesn't anticipate anything. They just gravitate to all the shiny things they find on the beach.

It isn't a question of whom you think has the better lineup which is subjective. The question is where the hype is to be found. People who already own a machine have ample incentive to be hyped and anticipate a game. While someone who does not own a machine yet probably isn't anticipating anything at the moment. Further more anticipation does not leap beyond console loyalties. The PS3 only owner isn't going to be anticipating Gears of War anymore then a 360 owner is anticipating Final Fantasy. We could call this the I don't give a shit factor. Then again how many times to PS3 owners freely confess they will pick up the PC port. Damn snaked yourselves didn't you.

This is actually a factual statement if it was made by Microsoft. You may dislike the wording, but that is hardly Microsoft's fault. They have the stronger core gaming market, and those are the people that anticipate things. They have it over the PS3 in the size of their customer base, and they have it over Nintendo according to the statistics that Nintendo has shared with the public. Basically a lot of very ignorant casual gamers that by their nature really can't anticipate anything until they see the commercial.

The only oblique logic you could follow is that somehow you can anticipate your consoles games more then the other guy can anticipate his consoles games. Like some sort of aura you can bend with your will. Otherwise if Microsoft said this they were truthful, but a lot of you guys as usual reinterpret it to be a completely different question. Which is always the same who has the better lineup.

Damn do some of you even bother contemplating these questions, or do you just spout gibberish at the slightest provocation. Some of you must babble in real life, or snap at your friends for piss poor reasons.

Around the Network
X-Man said:
cwbys21 said:

bingoo

Konami themselves reports that the first two sold nigh on 7 million, I wouldn't trust this site for games older than a couple of years.

I agree. Even if the numbers are meerily shipped numbers, seeing as how hard MGS2/3 are to find, I have a hard time believing that 1 mil.+ copies of each didn't sell through to consumers.

Dodece said:
Microsoft is correct. They are correct thanks to a peculiarity of the market. The majority of 360 owners are hardcore or core gamers. Those lovable people that do anticipate games. They are a larger install base then found on the PS3, and the Wii has a very large casual demographic that really doesn't anticipate anything. They just gravitate to all the shiny things they find on the beach.

It isn't a question of whom you think has the better lineup which is subjective. The question is where the hype is to be found. People who already own a machine have ample incentive to be hyped and anticipate a game. While someone who does not own a machine yet probably isn't anticipating anything at the moment. Further more anticipation does not leap beyond console loyalties. The PS3 only owner isn't going to be anticipating Gears of War anymore then a 360 owner is anticipating Final Fantasy. We could call this the I don't give a shit factor. Then again how many times to PS3 owners freely confess they will pick up the PC port. Damn snaked yourselves didn't you.

This is actually a factual statement if it was made by Microsoft. You may dislike the wording, but that is hardly Microsoft's fault. They have the stronger core gaming market, and those are the people that anticipate things. They have it over the PS3 in the size of their customer base, and they have it over Nintendo according to the statistics that Nintendo has shared with the public. Basically a lot of very ignorant casual gamers that by their nature really can't anticipate anything until they see the commercial.

The only oblique logic you could follow is that somehow you can anticipate your consoles games more then the other guy can anticipate his consoles games. Like some sort of aura you can bend with your will. Otherwise if Microsoft said this they were truthful, but a lot of you guys as usual reinterpret it to be a completely different question. Which is always the same who has the better lineup.

Damn do some of you even bother contemplating these questions, or do you just spout gibberish at the slightest provocation. Some of you must babble in real life, or snap at your friends for piss poor reasons.

You must be one of those "loveable people" looking forward to the next 360 game. Nice job of generalizing and cross console bashing. 

I declare Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 my most anticipated titles. I only own a 360 so that may happen to have something to do with it. =)

Dodece said:

And what about fanbases for particular franchises? Using your example of Final Fantasy, an Xbox 360 owner who has always loved Final Fantasy isn't going to ignore FFXIII just because it's not coming to the console they own.

The ps3 has more and bigger games from long established franchises coming this year than the 360, in the form of MGS4 (a VERY hardcore game, that also sells very well), Tekken 6, SOCOM: Confrontation, GT5: Prologue, and possibly even GT5 itself.  Why wouldn't any MGS fan be hyped about MGS?

There are other, smaller franchises coming out as well, that have a very dedicated, though miniscule, fanbases. These include games like Disgaea 3, Hot Shots Golf 5 (this is a big game in Japan, but it came out last year over there), and Yakuza 3.

You can't say that the 360 fanbase will hype their games more than the ps3 fanbase, if the games don't warrant the hype. NG2, Fable 2, and Banjo 3 are the only 360 games that might be recieving hype from people outside of the 360's current userbase, assuming the fans of these series have yet to purchase a 360.

Also, that's assuming that we go by your assumption that only owners of a certain console can be hyped for games of said console.

Anybody can hype any game in which they have an interest, regardless of whether they own the console said game is coming to or not. They may just like the series, or like the concept enough that they are either thinking of adopting the system sometime in the future, or are anticipating a port to their console of choice down the road.

I wonder if GEOW2 will boost X360 sales... I mean the people who want GEOW2 already bought a X360 for GEOW :s..