By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Coming Obamacare Shock for 170 Million Americans

Kasz216 said:
Augen said:
I can only speak anecdotally, but my insurance went up 30% and my coverage became significantly worse to point it is pointless in 99% of scenarios. The main issue with healthcare here is it is so expensive so many people I know self medicate. Had seven stitches a few years back and it was $3000, $1700 after my old insurance paid $1300. How does that make any sense? Of course under new plan I would pay all of it so if I get cut I just get a scar now. It is easily the big thing we do far worse than so many other comparable countries.

I had a similar expierence.

My healthcare premium went up over 300% with no added benefits.

That said, i ended up on medicaid.  Not actually happy about it.

I'd rather pay for healthcare... but i'm not paying > 1 paycheck for it... and subsidies have a price floor... for whatever reason.

They may as well just go full out health coverage.   Rather then making it so tons of people have to pay more, just so a very small few can get cheaper health insurance that's probably still below the level they need.

Well, that seems to be the problem with a lot of the policies of this administration (other administrations, as well.)  They say they are doing this or that for the poorest of citizens, but in the end it barely helps them, and instead hurts the middle class.  Same goes for the large hike in minimum wage to ~$10 they want, as well.  Sure, the minimum wage going up seems great for those just starting, or those poor people who make only a little above minimum wage.  But, what happens is the cost of doing business goes up, so businesses have to raise prices on everything.  Eventually, the poor people realize they are barely able to afford more than what they previously did.  So, again, it hurts the middle class who are 100% not getting the same ~$3 raise the minimum wage folks got, so they can actually afford less.

Around the Network

So glad I live in Europe, here everyone is taken care of, for stiches I think that 10 bucks would be on the expensive side, 4 years ago I had knee surgery, I paid 80€ & most of that was the food! Same for education, 1 year in college is about 300/400€ depending on the cursus & the college. I really am not a fan of the American way: the land of oportunity as long as you are rich & healthy, the social ladder is missing a few steps over there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Soleron said:
spurgeonryan said:

What I do not understand about this system is....how does the federal government expect to make money? Or is this basically a welfare program?

1. Millions more people recieve preventative treatment, and full and timely care for serious conditions

2. These people are then able to go to work more fully and frequently

3. The increased tax revenue, decreased unemployment/disability/deprivation payments and reduced cost of repeat emergency healthcare offsets any additional expense

Please understand that this kind of welfare makes complete economic sense.

Unfortunatley what you stated simply isnt true, but it sells the law.  Preventative care has been shown not to reduce health care costs but actually increase them because as with all top down operations everybody gets screened for everything and the preventative measures just end up costing more money than if you just went to the doctor for the serious illness, thats why all the big medical companies and insurance providers love prevantative care, they can charge you more co-pays and doctors can charge outrageous prices for literally nothing, its a win, win for healthcare, unless of course you are the consumer.

europe is running away from national healthcare as they realize they cant afford it, but thats the great part of socialized anything it always takes several generations to run out of other peoples money so eventually everyobe forgets where the problem started.

Like it or not the solution is less government intervention and greater interaction between doctor and patient...the trend has already begun with doctors walking away from socialized schemes to create their own group plans.  Dont be surprised to see the government try and outlaw this practice in the next few years in the name of equality.

Game_God said:

So glad I live in Europe, here everyone is taken care of, for stiches I think that 10 bucks would be on the expensive side, 4 years ago I had knee surgery, I paid 80€ & most of that was the food! Same for education, 1 year in college is about 300/400€ depending on the cursus & the college. I really am not a fan of the American way: the land of oportunity as long as you are rich & healthy, the social ladder is missing a few steps over there...

It's taken care of because you're paying for it in another way.  >_>

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

As someone who does not believe in Obama-care for either economic or moral reasons I want as many people as possible to sign up for it so when the problems begin to mount up people will start to look at government as not a solver of problems but the largest cause of problems in modern society today. Slightly beating even the problems caused by religion.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:

No thanks, i'll pay the fine. I haven't had any healthcare for almost 20 years now anyways.

Will you expect the state to pay for your healthcare after age 65?

The government has never once paid for a single thing during its entire existence as it gains revenue through force for the tax slave population.

But the governments theft is no longer enough to pay for its spending so now it has resorted to building up massive debt the our generations children will likely have to pay off.

However they future generations will be unable to pay the taxes that are required to pay the debt and America (and likely other European nations) will default and the economy which has needed a proper recession for decades will go into a real depression.

In other words if you are hoping the government will be around to pay your healthcare when you turn 65 you are likely in my opinion to be dissapointed.

Where you either win

or you DIE

outlawauron said:
Game_God said:

It's taken care of because you're paying for it in another way.  >_>

Correct, everybody contributes over here.

the2real4mafol said:
Should of just funded the healthcare with taxes like the UK. You lot are only paying for a bloated army right now, a couple wars and some fascist mass spying organisations. Good priority of American government with so many in poverty!

American Poverty = Living in better conditions than most of the world with an opportunity to get out of poverty

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I dunno really much about this whole thing, but I feel like the free market will take care of this price increase.
If I were an insurer, I'd just keep the same rates and eat all the other insurer's dropouts.

I really don't understand why they are going up in premiums.

theprof00 said:
I dunno really much about this whole thing, but I feel like the free market will take care of this price increase.
If I were an insurer, I'd just keep the same rates and eat all the other insurer's dropouts.

I really don't understand why they are going up in premiums.

Because the number of things the insurance companies are required to provide coverage for has increased taking away the choice for policy holders.

I don't support people being required to pay for any type of coverage but some of the things they are required to cover are completely absurd.

Where you either win

or you DIE