By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Nintendo put out another console within the next 2 years? Scrap the WiiU?

Should Nintendo scrap the WiiU and put out another new console?

Yes 88 22.45%

No 272 69.39%

Nintendo is done! Go the Sega route....... 32 8.16%

Total:392

I think they should release the Wii ME, they have no real choice, the U is a disaster.

They should go back to basics, the basics they invented, a great controller, good specs (slightly better or much better than the PS4) and the selling gimmick should be a sideshow, not the main course... at a decent price. something in the vain of the NES, SNES, N64 & Game Cube (which I all owned.. I come to think of it the Wii U is the first Nintendo console I never owned and will never own).

It would et 3rd party support (devs love good hardware) AND the nintendo games that a lot of people know and love.

Around the Network
Nem said:
bevochan said:
Nem said:

Consumer trust. You lose it, you're done.

What consumers?   After 2 years, the WiiU sold 6 million.....   I would lose these 6 million to sell 70+ million consoles by building a powerful console

If Nintendo drops the Wii U now, no one is gonna risk their money on buying that Nintendo system instead of a PS4 or X1.

What happened after nintendo dropped the Virtualboy? there was no backlash!

Sega made many many mistakes, before and after they released the Saturn, it failed on its own, because it was more expensive than the PS1 and had less interesting features hardware wise (despite that it has a couple of great games).. the Sega CD was not a mistake, and the 32X was a failure, a real error... but the Saturn did not fail because of this, it failed because Sony made a much more interesting machine, with more and better games on it early in its life cycle.

No, the WiiU in my opinion is an excellent console, not sure why all the hate. It just needs a price drop to make it more appealing to the mass at 250.

Scrapping the Wii U prematurely after its been out on the market for less than 2 years is a horrible idea. For the 6 million or so people who spent £300, it is a blatant slap in the face. If I bought a new game console like the PS4 or Xbone and it was scrapped after 2 years, I would think 3 times before buying another console from that company again. What's to say they won't scrap the new one again if it doesn't sell up to their expectations?

A console is a long term investment and Nintendo need to ride out the Wii U to keep consumer trust of the people who are supporting them now at their worst of times. If they lose these people, they risk losing everything.

Not only does it not make any kind of rational, practical business sense to develop and release a new console in just a couple of years after your most recent one. But as an owner of said console, why in the living fuck would anyone NOT want them to make/release as many games as they can for it, and get as much out of the system as they can, for as long as they possibly can?

I think a lot of folks around here need to quit fixating quite so much on console sales numbers, and focus more good GAMES that we all could be playing. It is not, after all, as if any single one of the terribly original and terribly clever persons who keep posting new Nintendoom threads on a literal daily basis, have a single red cent of money invested into Nintendo as a company anyway. So cut the shit, and go play some games.

Around the Network

only if they are serious and either match the PS4's HW at a slightly lower price, or slightly beat the PS4 HW at the same price.
Anything else people will just ask why not get a PS4?

alabtrosMyster said:
Nem said:

If Nintendo drops the Wii U now, no one is gonna risk their money on buying that Nintendo system instead of a PS4 or X1.

What happened after nintendo dropped the Virtualboy? there was no backlash!

Sega made many many mistakes, before and after they released the Saturn, it failed on its own, because it was more expensive than the PS1 and had less interesting features hardware wise (despite that it has a couple of great games).. the Sega CD was not a mistake, and the 32X was a failure, a real error... but the Saturn did not fail because of this, it failed because Sony made a much more interesting machine, with more and better games on it early in its life cycle.

The virtual boy was not really a home console (it was a separate segment), didnt release in more than 2 countries and was quickly discontinued after a year. Not really the same as a failed home console system.

Think of it like this: If Nintendo decided to release the Virtual Boy 2, much like Sony is touting Morpheus, do you think anyone would buy it?

As for SEGA, i disagree. Especially when you said the Mega/SEGA CD wasnt a mistake. Yeah, it was revolutionary but it lasted 1 or 2 years. It launched at a ridiculous price and most people were quickly left with a bunch of useless plastic. The 32X was even worse indeed. The Saturn was too expensive at launch, but it wasnt really less intersting than the Playstation. After the Mega Drive/Genesis, SEGA was a player in the market. If they had held their ground with the Saturn, like Sony did with the PS3, the Dreamcast could've have avoided the inevitable fate it had. 

As for Playstation beeing interesting... it definitly was in the end, but nowadays with the digital age and the internet, the way Sony used to have the upper hand would've been shunned upon. They money hatted their way to sucess. SEGA was quick to give up and the rest is history.

This rule applies to MMO's aswell. If you dont believe your own products, what makes you think anyone else will? Consumer trust is real, and its crucial.

No way, they are gonna ride this one out

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

*facepalm*

Someone actually said the words "Why no backlash after they dropped the Virtual Boy"? Good fucking lord......

As if it even needed to be said, Virtual Boy was NOT one of their main systems. Game Boy was already out, and a massive success. No one wanted or asked for the VB. It was bad experiment. Brave on their part, sure. Creative? Maybe. But foolhardy. No one really needed it, and it just didn't work. The games they developed for it would have been better suited as SNES or even evolving into N64 games. It was just a waste from the beginning.

Nintendo dropping some crappy side-experiment is not the same as them dropping one of their main consoles, which is what Wii U is. If someone doesn't understand that, then there is likely no help for them. Cheers.

Watches new mk8 trailer..... lol why would they abandon such potential. Sales will fly with a good marketing campaingn behind it. Also 6 million in 2 years lol it aint even been out that long.