By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Nintendo put out another console within the next 2 years? Scrap the WiiU?

Should Nintendo scrap the WiiU and put out another new console?

Yes 88 22.45%

No 272 69.39%

Nintendo is done! Go the Sega route....... 32 8.16%

Total:392
Nem said:
bevochan said:
Nintentacle said:
I would say 3 years from now is a better choice.

Why wait 3 years?  WiiU is getting blasted right now.....

Consumer trust. You lose it, you're done.

What consumers?   After 2 years, the WiiU sold 6 million.....   I would lose these 6 million to sell 70+ million consoles by building a powerful console

Around the Network

They'll probably show off their next gen console at E3 2016, and have it out by 2017. Most likely I imagine it having both portable elements, and a console itself, or just being a full on tablet. I mean you look at the 3DS and that thing is amazing, and so I see NIntendo wanting to make a hybrid console so that they can have one main focus and that is pushing out games.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Why do we need to discuss this topic every other week. READ old threads people and bump them if you have more to add.

Nintendo is unconventional and they do best when they innovate...the wii u is not an innovation (so far as evidenced by the gamepad use). Making a portable device hybrid with console may be a step in the right direction...they really need to innovate because they will never be able to grab 3rd parties the way sony can. The traditional video game console space is shrinking but with great innovation can it attract casuals which in turn can create dedicated nintendo fans as well. Sony experimenting with Morpheus and eye tracking should enkindle, inspire, and motivate nintendo to do something innovative. If I wanted to watch a movie I'd rent a video, I think movie quality graphics should be accompanied by high quality and innovative gameplay

bevochan said:
Nem said:
bevochan said:
Nintentacle said:
I would say 3 years from now is a better choice.

Why wait 3 years?  WiiU is getting blasted right now.....

What consumers?   After 2 years, the WiiU sold 6 million.....   I would lose these 6 million to sell 70+ million consoles by building a powerful console

Mensage form the future: Wii U only sold 6 million after 2 years

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network

1. This thread topic is overdone and the mods, if they ever did their jobs, should really prune the number of these same exact topic threads that pop up every single week.

2. No, Nintendo should not rush out another console. They should not have another new system any sooner than, honestly, 2017. They need to put out a healthy amount of games for THIS system and get the most out of it, before pushing forward to new hardware. As a gamer, as someone who has invested time and money into this console, I want the most out of it before being expected to shell out MORE fucking money for another system new system.

3. I really don't get why people seem to hold this faulty "logic" in their heads that if Nintendo trashes the Wii U and puts out another console soon, that somehow it will magically do way better than Wii U. That is simply not how it works. There were many variables involved in why Wii was mega-success, and there are also many variables involved in why Wii U (thus far) is not. You do not just snap your fingers, BAM new console, and then have instant success.

4, Wii U won't have been out "for two years" until late November 2014. It hasn't been out two years yet, seeing as it had only been out ONE year last holiday season. 6 million isn't great sales, but it's not the massive failure many make it out to be either. Should it be higher? Yes. Could it be a lot lower, were it actually a full blown failure? You bet your mother's ass it could. And AGAIN, releasing a console with more powerful hardware, you honestly think that's all it takes to get "70+ million systems sold"? I'm sorry.....but good lord.

No.

They should continue to support it and make it better. Better marketing, price-cuts, trying to get more indie and/or third party developers. Just continue and focus on the future(of Wii U). If it fails it fails, nothing more to it.

The PS3 had a horrible start, and I'm thankful that Sony really never stopped believing in their console. And continued to support it. So shall Nintendo do with the Wii U and I hope for the best.

Nintendo has to wait until late 2016 at the earliest. You can just release a console, support it for a little while, then drop it. The people who actually own the Wii U are hardcore Nintendo fans - alienating them would be a dumb decision.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

bevochan said:
Nem said:

What makes you think that a new system as powerful as the X1 and PS4 releasing now would sell any more than the Wii U? Especially given the loss of consumer trust. Those 6m wont risk buying abother system after beeing burned nor will most people. What garantee do they have that the new system wont also be a failure and discontinued after 2 years?

Thats what happened to SEGA. They messed up by quickly dropping the the Mega drive addons and the Saturn. By the time the Dreamcast came out and was awesome, no one believe it anymore.

If Nintendo drops the Wii U now, no one is gonna risk their money on buying that Nintendo system instead of a PS4 or X1.

With that said, i understand what you are dreaming up here. The problem is that theres no garantee that the 3rd parties would offer any better support to the new Nintendo console than they had with previous ones. Remember the GC? It could run everything, yet it still couldnt put a dent on the PS2 domination.

That's called "Dreamcast" and usually bankrupts the company that does it. Launching a new console in 3 years will result in:
- Clashing with PS4 and One in their peak years: the console hardware will be familiar to devs and being used wisely. A new console, even if it's more powerfull will be more expensive and the games won't look much better (probably worse). The library on PS4 and One will be extremely superior and will just make them the gamer's choice. You have to wait for people to want new consoles before you release one.
- Being crushed by PS5/Next XB: 2 or 3 years fighting a downhill battle against PS4/One and their successors will come with much more power and finish the job their predecessors started.

Losing a gen is bad. What you have to do is look what you did wrong and improve the next console. Hurrying it out of the gate will just make you lose two gens and that can be fatal for a game company since gens take 5 to 7 years. Just think about it. The original XB and the Gamecube were crushed by the PS2. Absolutelly crushed, it's basically the worst you can do in a gen. MS and Nintendo took their time, did damage control for their devices and planned new consoles to fix what was wrong and released it in the right time, being much more successful.

Now let's get back to PS1 gen. Sega tried to hurry a console. They clashed with a PS1 that was cheap and had a large library and plenty of hot new titles being launched. They clashed with Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 3 and other blockbusters. PS1 could hold DC easily to give time to launch the PS2. Sony just played smart and started promissing amazing graphics for the PS2 and make the DC look outdated 1 year after launch. Point is, if Nintendo does it, they will leave the console market afterwards. Fortunatelly, they now that it's a bad idea and won't do it. Thei next console will be in 2018-2020.