By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why such a huge gap in quality between Playstation and Xbox exclusives?

d21lewis said:

Off topic: I just wonder why forums always speak of franchise fatigue when it comes to Gears, Fable, Forza, and Halo or Mario and Zelda and never when it came to Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted, LBP. I always welcome a good game on any platform with open arms.

Resistance is not being made anymore imo, I have no opinion on Killzone, Uncharted seems to be growing not shrinking, LBP has had only 2 games on home consoles.

Now if we talk about all those MS exclusives?

4 Gears games, with Epic it was a healthy franchise but may shrink with different developers.

6 Halo games total, with 4 of them last generation and seems to have shrunk since Halo 3.

3 Fable games and like uncharted seems to be growing not shrinking.

5 recent Forza games, which seems to be shrinking since forza 3.

Zelda depends a lot more on platform viability imo. SS was released late and therefore got little sales.

Same with Mario.

Around the Network
Zax said:

With how similar both consoles are in so many ways and how both consoles seem to get 90% of the same games it's always striked me as odd how there is such a drastic difference in quality and amount of excluisves between the Playstation and the Xbox.

It's not even the case that it's Japan's involvement that's what's doing it because even without them it'd still be the same.

The PS3 saw several exclusive games win many notable GOTY awards. MGS4, Uncharted 2, Little Big Planet, The Last of Us, Journey for example. That can not really be said for Xbox. Sure there was a time when Mass Effect 2 and maybe Bioshock recieved such acclaim but they ended up on PS3 aswell.

Three PS3 exclusives won GOTY on Gamespot but none for Xbox. The same can be said for IGN. This is the case amongst both the editors picks and the readers picks with the one exception that Gears of War did win.

Compare the PS360 metacritic scores.

There are 12 games for PS3 that scored over 90 not including HD collections. Xbox only has 7. If I were to include the games over 80 it'd be even bigger.

Also the huge amount of variety compared to the Xbox is staggering.

Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Yakuza, Infamous, Killzone, Ni No Kuni, Tales etc

Xbox has had some but most never catch on like Crackdown.

I just it pretty odd seeing as how Xbox is just as popular and it's been around so long now.

Topic about it here:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149333

Source: www.gotypicks.blogspot.com

2008:

1. Fallout 3

2&3. MGS4 & GTAIV (tied)

4. LittleBigPlanet

5. Gears of War 2

2009:

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

2. Batman Arkham Asylum

3. Modern Warfare 2

4. Dragon Age Origins

5. Assassin's Creed 2

2010:

1. Red Dead Redemption

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2

4. Heavy Rain

5. God of War III

2011:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

2. Portal 2

3. Batman Arkham City

4. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

5. The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword

2012:

1. The Walking Dead

2. Journey

3&4. Far Cry 3 & Dishonored (tied)

5. Mass Effect 3

2013:

1. The Last of Us

2. Grand Theft Auto V

3. Bioshock Infinite

4. Super Mario 3D World

5. Gone Home

Statistics:

Breakdown per console in just number:
Multiplats - 19
PS3 Exclusive - 8
Wii Exclusive - 2
360 Exclusive - 1

Breakdown of exclusives with points per place as following -
5 pts for 1st,
4 for 2nd,
3 for 3rd,
2 for 4th,
1 for 5th:

PS3 - 25
Wii - 3
360 - 1
(Wii U - 2)

Meta score of the exclusives:
97 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
96 - Uncharted 2 (PS3)
95 - The Last of Us (PS3)
95 - LittleBigPlanet (PS3)
94 - Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
93 - Gears of War 2 (360)
93 - Skyward Sword (Wii)
92 - Uncharted 3 (PS3)
92 - God of War III (PS3)
92 - Journey (PS3)
87 - Heavy Rain (PS3)

Bonus Round!

[Best overall graphics from 7th generation consoles (2008 to 2013) based off critics as well] =>

2008:
Metal Gear Solid 4

2009:
Uncharted 2

2010:
God of War III

2011:
Uncharted 3

2012:
Journey

2013:
The Last of Us

selnor1983 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
TarHeeLsALLday said:
I ask myself the same question. Why can't Sony make anything as good as Halo or Gears or Alan Wake?

Easy... Uncharted and The Last of Us shit on all of those games and unlike all of those games you mentioned they were concieved first party. Unless Microsoft does something Halo is only going to get so popular and the same with Gears. Of course I love Gears but I have to accept reality. Those two games are all made by only one of Sony's teams.  ;)

Luckily not everyone agrees with this. As I said I and many others wouldnt trade Xbox for Playstation. Sony dont have anything to compare to Hslo in our opinion. Its an OPINION.

Sony doesn't need Halo. FYI, the next Halo comes out next year so no matter what everyone will be waiting for it. Sony owners dont really have to wait for first party since Sony dishes out enough of it every year. Can't wait to play halo myself but thats kind of the point of the topic. When it comes to making exclusives in terms of the amount of high level titles pumped out Sony dominates Microsoft on almost every front outside of Halo.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor1983 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
TarHeeLsALLday said:
I ask myself the same question. Why can't Sony make anything as good as Halo or Gears or Alan Wake?

Easy... Uncharted and The Last of Us shit on all of those games and unlike all of those games you mentioned they were concieved first party. Unless Microsoft does something Halo is only going to get so popular and the same with Gears. Of course I love Gears but I have to accept reality. Those two games are all made by only one of Sony's teams.  ;)

Luckily not everyone agrees with this. As I said I and many others wouldnt trade Xbox for Playstation. Sony dont have anything to compare to Hslo in our opinion. Its an OPINION.

Sony doesn't need Halo. FYI, the next Halo comes out next year so no matter what everyone will be waiting for it. Sony owners dont really have to wait for first party since Sony dishes out enough of it every year. Can't wait to play halo myself but thats kind of the point of the topic. When it comes to making exclusives in terms of the amount of high level titles pumped out Sony dominates Microsoft on almost every front outside of Halo.

You miss the point. I dont value sonys titles that highly. So as far as Iim concerned microsoft put out higher quality titles. Killer instinct, halo, forza, gears, horizon, project spark, fable, kinect sports, then as far as im concerned they are better at getting 3rd party exclusives like quantum break, alan wake, titanfall, lost odyssey, ryse, sunset overdrive etc. Nothing sony has do I value that highly except god of war and uncharted. I didnt really like tlou and games like gt are falling behind imo. its opinion. The thread title is stated as fact when it should be opinion. 

Although Sony is strong in Japan it's still the 360 that got all the amazing shoot 'em ups. That's all I want so the exclusives (not first party...) on the 360 are better for me. Who cares about "quality"? Especially when it's based on hype/ads/mass success/"critics". You can't say Hollywood is the greatest quality in movies but it's the most successful because it does what the masses want.

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor1983 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
TarHeeLsALLday said:

You miss the point. I dont value sonys titles that highly. So as far as Iim concerned microsoft put out higher quality titles. Killer instinct, halo, forza, gears, horizon, project spark, fable, kinect sports, then as far as im concerned they are better at getting 3rd party exclusives like quantum break, alan wake, titanfall, lost odyssey, ryse, sunset overdrive etc. Nothing sony has do I value that highly except god of war and uncharted. I didnt really like tlou and games like gt are falling behind imo. its opinion. The thread title is stated as fact when it should be opinion. 

Dude, I love all of those games. On second thought, maybe if we omit Fable and Horizon . I'll take Forza as a secondary to GT any day had I not had a Playstation.). The title has a point though, when its left up to Microsoft third party exclusives slow down really quickly for Microsoft. Microsoft will have nowhere to hide in the end unless they strengthen their first party. This has always been their achillies heel and even the media has questioned them about this and they have responded. You might be satisfied and thats awesome but a lot of people arent just yet with Microsofts track record. Nintendo and Sony have GOTY level titles almost every year and Microsoft lags if Halo and Gears arent at the forefront. They need to switch it up and start being creative. The shooter genre isnt everything. It definitely helps but it isnt everything.

Xbox doesn't have much variety. The target audience of Xbox is perfectly content with shooters like Halo and the occasional Fable or Forza, so Microsoft has almost no need to expand IPs, as disappointing as that is.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Xbox didn't need to have exclusives to be more successful. They started with better momentum and were the 3rd party console of choice. For any online/social games, the Party Chat option remained the leading differentiator.

The PS3 just had to keep making quality 1st party games to stay relevant, and then catch up to XBL on online services which it did in every area except patch sizes and party chat (both issues that were stamped out with PS4 with improvement over the x360 XBL).

Meanwhile XBO XBL is subpar to X360 XBL at launch.

VanceIX said:
Xbox doesn't have much variety. The target audience of Xbox is perfectly content with shooters like Halo and the occasional Fable or Forza, so Microsoft has almost no need to expand IPs, as disappointing as that is.

Maybe 360 didn't in the last few years with retail, but XBLA certainly gave it the variety. 360 gamers certainly bought more then whatever was selling on PSN. Hell look at Minecraft for 360 and you see that it ain't all shooters for us.

That said, X1 has been great so far. Reintroducing Killer Instinct, Project Spark, 3rd party new IPs like Ryse, Quantum, Sunset Overdrive, while keeping up with the holy quad (Halo, Forza, Gears, and Fable). I get it that X1 is losing to PS4, but people should at least give credit to MS's efforts in games this gen.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
VanceIX said:

Maybe 360 didn't in the last few years with retail, but XBLA certainly gave it the variety. 360 gamers certainly bought more then whatever was selling on PSN. Hell look at Minecraft for 360 and you see that it ain't all shooters for us.

That said, X1 has been great so far. Reintroducing Killer Instinct, Project Spark, 3rd party new IPs like Ryse, Quantum, Sunset Overdrive, while keeping up with the holy quad (Halo, Forza, Gears, and Fable). I get it that X1 is losing to PS4, but people should at least give credit to MS's efforts in games this gen.

Unlike others even as a Sony fan I give MS the credit they deserve! They are really pumping out the exclusive games right now and annoucning them as well. They are very diverse right now. Doesn't matter if they are 3rd or 1st party they are still exclusive to the XB1. And they have more games coming so they are on a roll on that front!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23