By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Flamebaiting threads on the forums

NintendoPie said:
I have no problem with troll threads. As long as they are well made. Horribly done troll threads or troll threads that are blatantly yelling out their opinion, and not appropriately at that, should be reported.

Please don't group bad troll threads with horrible attempts. Greatness Awaits in some troll threads.

Around the Network

I can't help it that Square Enix is trolling you guys with all their mobile games.. I'm just the messenger.. Don't blame me..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

OP reported for excessive reporting.

NiKKoM said:
I can't help it that Square Enix is trolling you guys with all their mobile games.. I'm just the messenger.. Don't blame me..

mobile devices have higher resolutions for a lower price then tv sets graphic whores need to go mobile

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

This place could do without "DOOMED" threads as it's getting very old very fast. Console wars, on the other hand, can never be eliminated. I do feel those console war threads that are meant to stir up trouble need to be removed. For example, it's clear some people loathe Sony simply for giving the video gamer what they want and need to make threads about their financial troubles to feel better about their support for Microsoft. This has to stop.

Just make sure you find unbiased moderators or else it will get worse.

Around the Network

Some users have been doing for so long that they know they can get away with it.

One user thrives on rubbing a certain fanbase in the wrong way.

"oh look X platform sold this much this month. Let's laugh at it" without adding anything meaningful to the op

When others call out his motives

he makes the excuse that this is a "sales" site

I tend to ignore and move on. Just make a mental list on who to ignore.

It's hard to post any opinion at all in these forums because of how viciously people will jump at you, start calling you names and make trolling/snarkly comments. I guess you can say this is the internet and people can act the way they want to, but in that case I just don't feel like posting much.

I just wish people would be a bit more tolerant of others' opinions.

My advice for dealing with flame threads is to either report them & move on, as you suggested, or simply confront the OP directly in his own thread. I prefer the latter method. If you believe the person is truly flamebaiting, then you should be able to clearly and persuasively articulate this point in his thread. If you cannot put forth a decent argument that the OP really is trolling, then perhaps he isn't trolling and maybe you are butthurt. Indeed, this method will cause you to think about whether your disdain towards certain threads are founded in reason or biased emotion.

It's best to do this as peacefully as possible, so as to not be moderated yourself. Again, if you are right the OP is flaming, then you should be able to illustrate this point without breaking any rules. I find that this method can be effective discouragement to the OP as he will know that future acts of flaming will be called out immediately for all to see. Eventually the user will get tired of being publicly called out and hopefully the frequency of flaming will decrease and/or eventually the mods notice and step in.

Jay520 said:

My advice for dealing with flame threads is to either report them & move on, as you suggested, or simply confront the OP directly in his own thread. I prefer the latter method. If you believe the person is truly flamebaiting, then you should be able to clearly and persuasively articulate this point in his thread. If you cannot put forth a decent argument that the OP really is trolling, then perhaps he isn't trolling and maybe you are butthurt. Indeed, this method will cause you to think about whether your disdain towards certain threads are founded in reason or biased emotion.

It's best to do this as peacefully as possible, so as to not be moderated yourself. Again, if you are right the OP is flaming, then you should be able to illustrate this point without breaking any rules. I find that this method can be effective discouragement to the OP as he will know that future acts of flaming will be called out immediately for all to see. Eventually the user will get tired of being publicly called out and hopefully the frequency of flaming will decrease and/or eventually the mods notice and step in.

That is probably a bad idea since the thread will keep getting bumped up and more people will get involved. I understand what you mean, but not only would it be time consuming as theres no garantee the person will listen. Theres examples of that on this same thread.

if ive learned something throughout mt life is that more "cops" is never a good solution